JohnnyM

Reaction score
How can you report a fake review on a competitor's GMB? A client is in a very competitive market where being in the 3-pack is vital. One of their competitors has more than a half dozen reviews that are keyword packed with specific locations. " ABC company is the best "keyword" company in "location". The keywords are repeated. No one writes like that. Is there any chance of getting these taken down or do we go down or is the only way to complete is to start spamming ourselves.

Phil Rozek

Local Search Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
@JohnnyM, there's only so much you can do, but it's explained well here: How to Remove Fake Google Reviews

Don't start spamming, too. Keywords in reviews aren't that much of a rankings booster, and you don't want to be in a position where (1) you rank well but your reviews don't pass people's sniffer tests, or (2) real customers and others say publicly that your reviews seem contrived.

The least-bad way to get "keywords" in reviews is to encourage customers to go into a little detail in their reviews. Not every customer will, but asking them to is a habit you'll want to cultivate if you want more of them to.

Contractor

Reaction score
How about clearly purchased reviews? What can be done about them?

I am talking about a small business with 2-3 reviews that get 5-10 reviews all in one day. The reviewers have left no other reviews for any other company. And they only left a 5 star rating, no text.

We al know that this company purchased fake reviews, but how do we convey that to Google?

Phil Rozek

Local Search Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
@DontBiteUrNails, not much. Just the typical "complaint box" options we all know about.

But I'd think hard about letting them continue, because those reviews will look fake and fishy to any would-be customers with functioning gray matter. Some may call out the business owner on it, too.

Unless that competitor is way outperforming you on the local map, I'd let 'em fall on their sword. You might be able to hasten the process by posting a GMB Q&A to the effect of, "Are you reviews from real customers? They look super fake, because...."

It's also possible Google filters those reviews later. Reviews can get filtered or unfiltered months or years after being posted.

Phil Rozek

Local Search Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
Only if you have a generically named Google-user profile. If it's "John Doe," then it's pretty anonymous. Otherwise, no, it's not anonymous at all. So with Q&A it's exactly the same level as anonymity as with Google reviews.

Contractor

Reaction score
But I'd think hard about letting them continue, because those reviews will look fake and fishy to any would-be customers with functioning gray matter. Some may call out the business owner on it, too.

Unless that competitor is way outperforming you on the local map, I'd let 'em fall on their sword.
After further review, I have found that it is the same referral company that posted 12 different GMB listings in my area. Each one has a different phone number, a fake business name, a personal residential address (not business, no storefront, etc.), and they all have 6-7 fake reviews. It's so clearly a fake scam, but relaying that to google is the problem.

Contractor

Reaction score
I spent some more time and found 20 of them, all the same. I put the name, phone number, address, and URL into a Google Docs spreadsheet. I then entered it into the redressal form with an explanation.

keyserholiday

Local Search Expert
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
Hey @JohnnyM if you want to dm me, I will take a look and I can provide a suggestion for you.

Contractor

Reaction score
Yeah. But your chances of getting those fake GMB pages taken down (via "suggest an edit") are way higher than the chances you get Google to do jack about those reviews.
Google has taken down all 20 of those fake listings that I reported with the fake reviews!!! I am very happy.

Although I am not sure if they took them down due to my redressal or on their own.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
D Spam Fighting With Reviews Spam on Google 7
Y One of my rivals bought 5 stars 100 spam reviews in 2 weeks Google does not care Google My Business & Google Maps 1
ChristianRdz Removing spam/fake reviews Google My Business & Google Maps 2
T Will GMB consider a review placed by a customer who was taken to court for a Judgement recovered by the business as Spam or Fake Comment? Local Reviews 1
djbaxter Fake Product Review Sites: New Type of Spam Exploit in Google Spam on Google 0
djbaxter Local U 2019: Map Spam, Review Stars, Google Winning, Yelp Losing, and Joy Hawkins Local Search 0
AndySimpson Spam Reviews / Listings - A Call To Arms Local Search Experts Forum 4
T Client Getting Review Spammed Like Crazy - Any Additional Tips? Local Reviews 11
D Too many good Google reviews seen as spam? Local Reviews 2
CodyBaird New Algorithm That Could Help Fight Review Spam Local Reviews 2
Sharon Massive number of fake locations? Plus tons of review spam...where do I start? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Linda Buquet HOT Google Review Trick & Great Example of Why we Have a Review Spam Filter Local Reviews 12
Linda Buquet Tips for Avoiding the Googe+ Local Review Spam Filter Local Search 2
Linda Buquet Google Places Missing Reviews - Google+ Local Review Spam Update Local Reviews 20
Linda Buquet Post update about photo guidelines - Post about new review spam issues Recycle Bin 0
Don Archer Google business listing with 482 Real Review Missing. How do I get them back? Help & Support for Google Local 2
Nikki Stine Are negative Google reviews due to supply shortages considered 'off-topic'? Local Reviews 2
BekahBerry Managing one client with multiple listings and need to be alerted to reviews All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 2
JoyHawkins Reviews Not Publishing Local Reviews 10
NevenaIvanova Removing off-topic reviews posted before the business started operation Local Reviews 8
Phil Rozek Google Maps reviews get "New" label for reviews less than 1 month old Local Reviews 5
JoyHawkins Get Custom Responses to Online Reviews Local Reviews 3
Barb Davids Review restriction for dentists in AU? Local Reviews 3
W Is it possible to remove reviews on GMB? Local Reviews 4
harmony How Does Google Choose Service Options in a Review? Local Reviews 6
abbiebeltran Google Reviews Now Have 'Service-Testimonial-Tags' at the Top Local Reviews 1
S Local Services Ads - Fake Reviews Local Reviews 1
djbaxter Google Maps Removed 55M Reviews & 3M Fake Business Profiles Spam on Google 4
E Review Spammer Help & Support for Google Local 2
C Fake google reviews on google my business Contact Us Messages 2
Greg Bernhardt Why some categories show review snippet and some don't? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 1
DangGood GMB showing 2 Review sections at Zero Google My Business & Google Maps 0
Oliver Keates BBC - "Man to pay £25,000 damages over negative TrustPilot review" Local Search 6
Steve Attarian Has anyone had luck removing a Review by a non customer that gave one star because she noticed that the staff didn't wear masks when she walked by? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
swmaher Competitor Buying Fake Reviews Local Reviews 1
LauraUK SAB's - can a client without a Gmail leave a SAB a review. Service Area Businesses 3
M Google rule for collecting reviews from a dedicated tablet inside a store ? Local Reviews 8
micromano Will changing a business name in GMB cause reviews to be lost? Moving or Name Changes 3
R Facebook reviews dropped to 0; Google filtering reviews temporarily? Local Reviews 2
A Diminishing Returns on Number of Reviews? Local Reviews 6
Eoghan_MFeed Great customer review we pulled in for a client Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 0
MatGee Multiple Practitioners at Medical Office, Is It Possible To Share Reviews? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
djbaxter Webinar The State of Online Reviews in 2021 - January 14th at 2pm EST Events 0
C Review attributes gone missing Local Reviews 1
abbiebeltran Disgruntled former employee leaves 9 1-star reviews and counting on GMB listing Local Reviews 5
Koray Tuğberk GÜBÜR Review Schema Mark up and Google My Business Reviews Local Search 4
Professor M No Reviews on Local Packs for Car Wash Category in Different Countries Google My Business & Google Maps 1
rickvidallon Delay in Seeing New Reviews Postings Dec 2020 Local Reviews 2
nathangdavidson Anyone noticing reviews not being added to profiles? Local Reviews 5
Antonio 4500 plus reviews suspended for a 26-year-old hotel business. Local Reviews 17