Tim Colling

Local Search Expert
LocalU Member
Reaction score
This is a weird one...

I?m writing to describe an odd and fairly unpleasant phone call that I received last week or the week before.

One of my businesses moved from one location to another eighteen months ago. At that time, I edited the GMB settings for the business to indicate the new location. Note: it moved literally around the block, 500 feet away.

The URL for that mapmaker record is:
Google Map Maker

Not long after that, a new Google maps listing mysteriously appeared for the OLD address. I will refer to it here as the duplicate record. The URL for that duplicate record is:
Google Map Maker

In mapmaker I tried to claim it and indicate that it was a duplicate and that the business had moved.

Some time later someone took it upon themselves to mark the duplicate record as ?permanently closed?. I posted an objection, pointing out that it was a move.

Now, many months later, I received a phone call last week. The caller, who spoke English with a U.S. accent, asked whether the company was still located at the old address. He said that he worked for Google. I questioned him about this and explained that I was doing so because I get many, many calls from wannabe SEOs claiming to ?work with Google? but not really Google employees.

The caller got very huffy with me and insisted that he worked for Google. After he said that, I explained that the office had moved to the new location. At that, he said, ?You could have told me that to begin with? and hung up.

I checked Google maps today and found that the ?real? record, reflecting the current address, still exists and is active. I found that the ?duplicate record? also exists and is marked ?permanently closed?.

I have a couple of questions about this:

1) Is it likely that the caller really was a Google employee?

2) What can I do to get that duplicate record either deleted or at least marked as ?moved? instead of ?permanently closed??

Thanks!

Colan Nielsen

Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
1) Is it likely that the caller really was a Google employee?

2) What can I do to get that duplicate record either deleted or at least marked as ?moved? instead of ?permanently closed??

Thanks!

1) It's hard to say for sure. Did they happen to send any kind of follow-up e-mail?
2) GMB support can normally do this. I would try the twitter support option first.

Let us know if it works!

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Always try to check caller ID Tim. Google usually calls from 650 area code.

JoyHawkins

Administrator
Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Top Poster Of Month
Solutions
Reaction score
Yeah it only existed that I'm aware of in the last 6 months, but frankly nowhere other than my article even mentions it so I don't see how any user would even know about it! Kind of crazy that the Help Center makes absolutely no mention of it.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Chris Ratchford Yelp won't remove a review from a rude reviewer Local Reviews 14
Linda Buquet The F#ing Rude Talking Google Map ;-) Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 3
0 Primary Owner hospitalized and has a stroke. Need to add myself as a manager. Verifying via phone calls only grants me Site Manager access. Help & Support for Google Local 2
Tim Colling I'm getting calls from "Google Maps" at 650-206-5555, asking about clients' hours - are they legit? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
L Apple Maps With Call Tracking Number On Website Citations 4
CarrieHill Direct Traffic Look Odd? Your Call Tracking Metrics Setup May Be to Blame Google My Business & Google Maps 0
Scott ClientClicks Call Tracking for Local Service Ads Paid Search and Local Service Ads 4
lukeelliott Using DNI Call Tracking With Website Connected To A GMB Listing Google My Business & Google Maps 1
W Call Tracking being Removed NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 10
J Local Service Ads (LSA) impact on GMB calls? Paid Search and Local Service Ads 2
H How would you interpret increasing discovery views, decreasing phone calls? Google My Business & Google Maps 5
Colan Nielsen "Preview Call History" Beta Appearing in GMB Google My Business & Google Maps 17
lukeelliott Wanted to make a forum post about DNI call tracking. Contact Us Messages 1
hajnasiewicz What is this type of knowledge panel called Local Search 5
Chris Ratchford Can't find call tracking on website... need to remove it Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 2
Ben Walsh Call Tracking best practices Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 3
JoshuaMackens GMB Ads - Call Tracking Phone Number Paid Search and Local Service Ads 6
Caroline Call Now Button Disappeared on Google Posts Mobile? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 2
ashley.smith Business Hours - After hours calls go to call center Google My Business & Google Maps 7
Digitaldar Can't Get a Postcard or Call - How to Verify? Google My Business & Google Maps 6
K Fake Google calls Spam on Google 2
H What is a live video call? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Tim Colling Call Tracking Metrics Alternatives? Local SEO Tools & Software 4
G Reporting a fraud calls Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Tim Colling Call Tracking vendors - Which to you use for GMB? Google My Business & Google Maps 9
djbaxter CallJoy: Why did Google Call it Joy? Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 8
obcted Call Tracking In GMB Citations 12
djbaxter Bank employee gives customer's business negative Google Review after frustrating phone call Local Reviews 1
M How Does Google Calculate Call Only Ad Charges? Paid Search and Local Service Ads 4
Greg Gifford GMB verification prank call from Pubcon Google My Business & Google Maps 14
C Can I have a perminant CALL NOW button as part of the Three-pack? Google My Business & Google Maps 6
wideangle SEO implications of call tracking numbers on a local directory site Citations 19
M Google Ads Defaulting to Account Level Call Reporting on 9-9-19 Paid Search and Local Service Ads 0
snysarah CallRail + Call Only Ads Paid Search and Local Service Ads 4
Tim Colling Call Tracking Metrics no longer provides phone support Recycle Bin 1
H Claiming Facebook with a phone call Citations 4
Steven12 Calling All Power People in this Group... (You'll Know First) Local Search 5
V Is There A Way To Avoid Google Confirmation Text/Calls? Local Search 5
D Call Only Ads vs. Call Only Campaigns - Correct Set-up Paid Search and Local Service Ads 4
JoshuaMackens Dynamic Number Swapping (Call Tracking) Being Crawled By Google On Website Local Search 20
AndySimpson Spam Reviews / Listings - A Call To Arms Local Search Experts Forum 4
hajnasiewicz Google Assistant Calls - manually opt out Multi-Location Issues 5
Phil Rozek New naming policies for call-only ads - would be nice if applied to Google My Business Paid Search and Local Service Ads 1
Your_Cedric Call Only Ads - 2 Headlines Paid Search and Local Service Ads 1
Tim Colling GMB Insights call report wrong by a factor of 3 - Surprising? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 4
JoyHawkins Do Call Tracking Numbers Impact Ranking? Local Search 3
FriarTuck00 GMB Call Tracking Number Showing Up on Other Listings Citations 28
HangTenSEO Another Call Tracking Setup Question Citations 2
S Call Tracking Local Search 7
Caroline Yell call tracking Number and BrightLocal Local Search 3