More threads by Gordon.Ligon

Gordon.Ligon

Reaction score
So, I had a client whose SAB listing got suspended. I sent over a DBA and picture of the owner in front of his service truck, and Google happily reinstated the listing based on that evidence.

However, at the time of the original registration of the listing, we used his apartment address for the postcard. That address was on the edge of his service area. He has since moved to a location more central to his area, and I would like to change the registered address (even though it is not shown, we all know that this has a geographic ranking effect). During my reinstatement efforts, I quickly decided to show the address and added in the new apartment, but during the reinstatement questionnaire workflow, I figured it might be best to hide it again so that the reinstatement runs smoothly.

In the notes field, I mentioned that we would like to re-verify at the new address and included it. My reinstatement email was mostly a form letter, so it didn't include any information about that address being updated. My assumption is that the verification address is still the original apartment.

So here are my questions:
  1. Is there a good way to check for the verified address for an SAB on my end?
    • People have told me that is accessible via viewing page source on either the knowledge panel in search or in google maps. I've never been able to locate it with ctrl+f
  2. Assuming that the verification address is unchanged, what is the best workflow for changing it?
    • It seems you have to add the address back in, but I'm worried about catching a suspension again because it is an SAB, and still only about 1 year old with a handful of reviews. Can't be a super high trust flow.
  3. What's the best way to quickly update citations? I'm assuming an aggregator?
Thanks guys!

Solution
Hi Gordon!

1. I would do a search grid check and see where the listing's best ranking location is - that would be close to where the listing got verified.
2. Adding the address won't change anything - you're not allowed to add an address for a SAB, according to Google's guidelines. You will need to change the verification address in order to fix the ranking area.
However, if you want to change the verification address for a SAB you won't get around a short suspension. In most cases, Google doesn't suspend your profile totally if you change the address, it just restricts access to some parts of the profile. So go-to would be to force the suspension and get a new postcard to the new address. If your client is in the US, you'll resolve...
Hi Gordon!

1. I would do a search grid check and see where the listing's best ranking location is - that would be close to where the listing got verified.
2. Adding the address won't change anything - you're not allowed to add an address for a SAB, according to Google's guidelines. You will need to change the verification address in order to fix the ranking area.
However, if you want to change the verification address for a SAB you won't get around a short suspension. In most cases, Google doesn't suspend your profile totally if you change the address, it just restricts access to some parts of the profile. So go-to would be to force the suspension and get a new postcard to the new address. If your client is in the US, you'll resolve that within 5 business days.
3. Brightlocal has Citation campaigns, If you use Yext, they can do that too. If you have all the log-in details you could hire someone on Fiverr to do that (cheapest).

Solution
For #1, I don't think there is any way to do this anymore. The trick of looking in the source code stopped working earlier this year. Like Tim said, the only way to tell is to look at where the listing ranks.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom