JRS

Reaction score
Hi there - I have a client - an Indian Restaurant - who is shutting down for a few weeks and coming back to market with an Indian Restaurant but a totally different concept and take on Indian food, a completely remodeled location - looks nothing like the old one - and a brand new name and brand.

They will also have a new website with a new url reflecting their new name.

Question: their 'legacy' or old GMB listing, Yelp listing, and other listings have mediocre reviews. Very mediocre. 3 stars on Yelp, 3.5 on Google. But 200-350 reviews a piece. Should I keep those listings and change the info and name, OR should I start off with completely new and fresh, 0 reviewed listings?

I see advantages to both and have seen a variety of opinions on this online. My instinct tells me to start from fresh - who wants to visit a new concept and restaurant and food and chef with legacy reviews that aren't great from the previous concept?

Follow up question: is there a best practice involved with shutting down old Yelp and Google listings and creating brand new one's with the same phone number and address but different business name? Thank you

Phil Rozek

Local Search Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
@JRS, it's an edge case, but in this case I'd start fresh.

As you say, the old reviews won't be very applicable to the new restaurant. It's a minor shame you wouldn't benefit from the volume of reviews of the old place, but it's relatively easy for restaurants to rack them up, so you could get back there in not too long. Also, you don't want people to read them and think, "Huh?" (If the average ratings were higher I'd say it's a tougher call, but they're not, so it's not.)

Here's the rough sequence of steps I'd suggest:

1. Roll out the new site.

2. Create the new GMB page, Yelp page, and other listings.

3. Stick onto the old site a super-prominent message to the effect of, "Here's the new restaurant."

4. Update the listings on the various directories / citation sources where the old restaurant doesn't have reviews.

5. Close or remove the phone number from the listings where the old restaurant has reviews.

6. Mark the old GMB page as "permanently closed." Consider also contacting GMB support to see if they'll redirect the old GMB page to the new one.

7. Step on the gas on reviews.

JRS

Reaction score
@JRS, it's an edge case, but in this case I'd start fresh.

As you say, the old reviews won't be very applicable to the new restaurant. It's a minor shame you wouldn't benefit from the volume of reviews of the old place, but it's relatively easy for restaurants to rack them up, so you could get back there in not too long. Also, you don't want people to read them and think, "Huh?" (If the average ratings were higher I'd say it's a tougher call, but they're not, so it's not.)

Here's the rough sequence of steps I'd suggest:

1. Roll out the new site.

2. Create the new GMB page, Yelp page, and other listings.

3. Stick onto the old site a super-prominent message to the effect of, "Here's the new restaurant."

4. Update the listings on the various directories / citation sources where the old restaurant doesn't have reviews.

5. Close or remove the phone number from the listings where the old restaurant has reviews.

6. Mark the old GMB page as "permanently closed." Consider also contacting GMB support to see if they'll redirect the old GMB page to the new one.

7. Step on the gas on reviews.
Thanks Phil. Much appreciated. I like step #3 as I hadn't thought of that take - I was going to just shutter that url. Great idea. Will definitely step on the gas w/ reviews. Thanks

Tony Wang

Reaction score
You may also want to suggest to the owner that he figure out why he had such mediocre reviews with the old business. If he isn't committed to fixing things, he might just be putting lipstick on his pig :)

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
EduarddeBoer Problem with two different locations having same address Google My Business & Google Maps 9
walkities Multi Location Using Same Phone Number? Local Search 2
ashikjibon Can I create another GMB page by using the same Business name? (Different Location) Multi-Location Issues 4
DanielTexasLira Has anyone done Local SEO on a Dual Pad Hotel (two different hotel brands sharing the same location)? Local Search 6
Jens Multiple local pages for the same location? Local Content 1
Rich Owings How to remove reviews left by same person for each location All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 21
Conor Treacy Same address, showing two different locations Google Duplicates & Merges 2
EmilyW Multiple businesses, same location Google My Business & Google Maps 17
S Same phone number for different location Local Search 8
D Multiple locations on GMB with the same Name and Phone Number NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 5
D Google My Business (GMB) Multiple Doctors & Locations for Same Clinic (with different brands) Google My Business & Google Maps 7
H Bought Out Competitor - Now 2 Locations Same Biz Name Moving or Name Changes 3
Heidi Powell Bought Out Competitor - Now 2 Locations Same Biz Name Moving or Name Changes 3
C 2 Locations. 2 Different Services. Same Product. No Categories. Local Search 0
PaulSteinbrueck How to handle 2 similar businesses operating at the same location? Google My Business & Google Maps 15
O Yelp - 2 locations same city Local Search 5
O 2 locations in the same city Google My Business & Google Maps 12
JoyHawkins How to Optimize 2 Locations in the Same City Local Search 5
JoshuaMackens Multiple Locations Using Same Call Center Phone Google My Business & Google Maps 7
web50local Need Advice: Same Business Name, Different URLs and Locations Local Search 4
M Multiple Businesses Sharing The Same Location Help & Support for Google Local 3
K Multiple Locations with the same website? Multi-Location Issues 1
kevinjwiles Multiple Locations with the same website? Multi-Location Issues 1
M Multiple phone numbers for the same location? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Mike Wilton Managing Multiple Locations in the Same City from a Keyword/On Page SEO Perspective Local Search 1
M Main Location listing + Agent listing + Same Address = DUPE? Google Duplicates & Merges 12
M Main Location listing + Agent listing + Same Address = DUPE? Google Duplicates & Merges 12
C 2 Business Entities Operating out of the same location. Is it Bad? Help & Support for Google Local 6
Michael Charvet Domain Name for Associated Business at Same Location? Local Search 4
grantbrott Multiple Locations Listed On Same Page Local Search 3
Linda Buquet Multiple Agents/Professionals @ Same Location - Google Places Best Practice Tips Local Search 15
B Rebranding: same services, same team, same address, new name, new URL Moving or Name Changes 9
S How to remove a GMB from maps of a previous owner who ran 3 businesses from the same address Google My Business & Google Maps 6
Koray Tuğberk GÜBÜR Two Different Business Places at the Same Address: Should I Add Them to GMB? Local Search 1
RattlingTram Wild rank variations for plural v singular & same intent single keyword searches Ranking Puzzles 2
M Google says information isn't the same between two listings Google Duplicates & Merges 1
Travis Van Slooten Hard Suspension of GMB Listing: Multiple Businesses at Same Address? Google My Business & Google Maps 9
P Is it possible to create a second GMB page for a new business based at same address and landline? Multi-Location Issues 1
EmilyW Problems with immediate suspension: confused as the UPS in the same shopping center? Google My Business & Google Maps 16
NickB-Tampa Listing with no ratings and incorrect address outranking listings for same business with good ratings and proper addresses Google My Business & Google Maps 5
stevedimatteo Separate Businesses at Same Mailing Address Google My Business & Google Maps 3
S Is it possible to verify two SAB businesses with the same address if the address will be hidden? Service Area Businesses 2
Mmclean07 How to handle 2 offices at same address? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
lincolnchan Ideas for outranking competitor with same business name Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 8
L Yelp merging two listings with the same name Citations 1
N Would changing the main business category drop a GMB rankings significantly or at all if it's in the same industry? Local Content 7
KristiSimone Change to reviews from same IP address? Local Reviews 6
P 2 Businesses, Same Address, 1 local, 1 SAB Google Duplicates & Merges 5
J Linking retail store within museum to same GMB Help & Support for Google Local 7
W Should multiple nearby hotels target the same area attraction? Recycle Bin 0