JoshuaMackens

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I posted this over in the GMB forum but no luck. Thought I would try here:

I'm working with a school system to get their names and contact info updated. 10 schools total. 8/10 schools have this issue:

When I claim the school and change the name, the name changes in Google Maps but won't change on the knowledge card in search.

For example:

Google Search (Knowledge Card)

Google Maps

The name needs to be "Leary Elementary School" and is correct in the dashboard and on maps. But correcting the knowledge card in search has the old name "Monica B. Leary Elementary School".

How do we get these names corrected?

And remember, we have to do this across 7 other schools as well.

Another example:

I claimed this school and changed the name to "Webster Learning Center" as it should be called. The Knowledge card did not change but Google Maps did:

Google Search (Knowledge Card)

Google Maps

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

JoshuaMackens

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Joshua -

This is just speculation based on things I've seen in the past, but here goes:

Is there any chance that there are *two* google records for those sites, and that one of them is showing up in the SERP and the other one is showing up in Maps?

It's possible.

I've scoured maps though for any extra listings that might be what's actually connected to search but so far nothing.

Also, when you click on the map in the knowledge card, that's the map listing that comes up.

Additionally, both the KC and map listing said "Own this business?" before I verified and both now no longer say that.

Finally, these are the listings that show when I access "Google Search" and "Google Maps" from the links in the GMB dashboard in the "info" section.

I think they're correlated.

Thoughts?

JoshuaMackens

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
I have not but just found tonight that you can become a rep of a Knowledge Card and suggest edits above and beyond the Feedback option. Definitely going to try it.

Any other suggestions?

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Caroline Practitioner listings for a music school NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 2
JoyHawkins Issue with Schools Not Being Able to Get New Reviews on GMB Google News: Important Changes & Features 5
Travis Van Slooten You Are "Old School" If You Still Communicate Primarily Through Emails Consultant's Corner 8
Matt Chauhan Knowledge Panel Not Appearing for Brand Name Search Google My Business & Google Maps 1
K GMB Adding Old Business Name & Putting True Name in Parathesis Only In English Browser Google My Business & Google Maps 1
J Wrong GMB Listing Appearing when Searching for Physician by Name Google My Business & Google Maps 4
micromano Will changing a business name in GMB cause reviews to be lost? Moving or Name Changes 3
Ryan Steinolfson How do you get the business name to show up next to the map pin? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
G Registering a DBA name as a Search Term Spam on Google 5
Geeman What to do about a GMB that continuously adds the location to their name? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
S Clients Business name now has an "A" in front of all it's YEXT site listings Citations 1
liorenda Icons in GMB name Google My Business & Google Maps 5
NevenaIvanova Bus Stop Names Update NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 2
D Is adding emojis to business name gets penalty from GMB? Local Search 1
SpectateSwamp Long Business Name & Citations Recycle Bin 0
TriciaClements Long Business Name & Citations Citations 9
ashikjibon Can I create another GMB page by using the same Business name? (Different Location) Multi-Location Issues 4
S Mentioning Employees Name Local Reviews 2
Ben Walsh Branding name change for local attorney ( legalities) Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 1
J Change Name Request Contact Us Messages 0
coachmarino Keywords in Name NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 5
coachmarino DUP Keywords in Name Recycle Bin 0
nathangdavidson Need to change the building name for a client Google My Business & Google Maps 2
E Re-naming Facebook Location Pages for a Multi-Location Brand Citations 11
Y My rival manipulates google autocomplete and now whenever I write keywords on google his name appears Local Search 14
Creativedge Is the Facebook page name important for local search? Local Search 1
Frank Jones Wrong Google Listing Showing For Brand Name Multi-Location Issues 2
Monica Simpson Optimizing Name - do citations matter? All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 7
Ben Walsh GMB business name keeps getting reverted back to old name after branding change Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 4
lincolnchan Ideas for outranking competitor with same business name Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 8
H Ranks better for (city name) than for near me . . .which means....? Organic SEO 3
Nick 11 Best Name To Use In GMB Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Scott ClientClicks Move + Name Change: Possible to keep GMB? Moving or Name Changes 3
Ann Schmitter Change name Contact Us Messages 2
Lanerizz GMB Removing Short Names Google My Business & Google Maps 5
C GMB listings with common name "splits" authority? Multi-Location Issues 1
K Google Keeps Changing my Business Name Google My Business & Google Maps 7
Hammer GMB keeps reverting name and other info Moving or Name Changes 12
L Yelp merging two listings with the same name Citations 1
E API - Notification Settings Resource Name Google My Business & Google Maps 0
L Similar named competitor Local Search 5
Peter Hill Naming changes for COVID-19 Moving or Name Changes 4
M Adding "Teletherapy" to mental health practice GMB name? Google My Business & Google Maps 10
Craig McBreen Two businesses, different names, point to same website Google Duplicates & Merges 1
Lachlan_Wells How to keep your reviews after a name change Moving or Name Changes 3
haileym Appearing For Branded Searches After Name Change Moving or Name Changes 1
ianscott Incorrect Business Names/Duplicate Listings - When To Escalate To Spam Report? Spam on Google 1
A Image name for a non maps category Google My Business & Google Maps 0
Paul Stevens Businesses from 120 miles away showing up three-pack for searches that name local town Local Search 20
A Google Maps Showing Different Map When Searching Name vs. Address Google My Business & Google Maps 1