Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
A user in the Google forum reported a bug because Google has DOUBLE links to his Google+ page in the SERPs. I saw the issue pop up at Search Engine Roundtable so popped over to investigate.

When I saw the user screen shot I knew what was up because it’s been reported here in the private Local Search Pros forum a couple times, so I had already started investigating and was going to escalate to Google if I thought it was a bug.

Don't think it's a bug, think it's by design.

Here is what it looks like. Have you seen any double links like this and wondered???

smaller.jpg

Jade weighed in and said "Interesting... looking into it. Thanks for reporting."

Then I explained I've been investigating and here's what I think is going on. Here's my reply from the G forum.

Jade this has been coming up a lot at my forum too and I've been investigating so had not reported yet. I've seen it on a TON of listings so it's not just a bug with the user above.

Here's what I suspect is happening. And this only happens with MERGED pages (G+ Business verified pages)

One link goes to the posts page and one goes to the about page which is where the reviews live. So with listings that DO have reviews it would not look like a double redundant link. One link would go to G+ Local (the posts) the other would 'display' # of reviews and link to the about page.

In his example above no one has a merged listing they just have G+ Local listings, therefore only have a single link. Either to the # of reviews IF they have any or to the page if they don't. But if you find someone merged WITH reviews it would look fine. It's just merged with 0 reviews that looks redundant and odd.

BUT when you think about it 2 links is better than 1. AND one link also saying G+ is MUCH BETTER than if it said ZERO reviews.

EXAMPLE: I believe the middle one below is how it's designed to look AND how the user above's listing would look if he had reviews.

35311164671-orig.png

Here is a link to the attorney listing above in the SERPs if you want to check it out.
los angeles personal injury attorney (For me he's F.)

Here's the Google forum thread if you want to read in full or follow in case any updates or new comments come up.

So have you guys seen this? Does what I explained make sense?
Do you think that's what's up???

smaller.jpg

35311164671-orig.png

Phil Rozek

Local Search Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
Hey Linda,

Great catch! I saw this for the first time a few minutes ago.

Here’s one in-the-wild example:

Storm Solutions Roofing & Contracting - Google Search

Definitely ain’t no bug. In all cases so far, only “merged” (AKA “fully social”) Google+Local pages have the two links showing up – meaning, of course, that only bricks-and-mortar businesses seem to be eligible for the double links at this stage (and that service-area businesses will just have to wait for yet another feature).

My two cents? Google’s latest push on Google+.

Reaction score
Hey Linda,

I'm seeing this for one of our clients. One of the links goes to the 'about' section of their Google + page, the other goes to the clients recent posts within their Google+ account.

Not sure if this is the same for everyone...

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Thanks for confirming guys.

Do they both have 0 reviews? Because then I think one link would display # of reviews (IF they had them) and go to "about" and the other would go to "posts".

Reaction score
It may be an engineers attempt to recover from a hiccup which caused a lot of Reviews to disappear and they forgot to check for duplicates.

I have been posting test reviews to the big thread on lost reviews and all have shown and the first 14 accepted Edits as well.

Only the first poster has noticed so far and I removed the test review.

Keenan Glass

Reaction score
I'm also seeing links to interior pages under the two G+ links. Has that been going on for a while?

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Hi Keenan,

Interior links to the site? Are you talking regular sitelinks? If so, yes for quite some time, but you don't see them real often and only for certain sites.

If that's not what you are talking about, can you post a screenshot so we can see what you mean?

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
JoyHawkins Easily See Winners and Losers After an Algorithm Update Google Algorithm Discussions 3
rickvidallon Delay in Seeing New Reviews Postings Dec 2020 Local Reviews 2
Caroline S Maps Results Moving Down The Page? Anyone Else Seeing This ? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Matthew Summers Anyone else see a big change in "blue links" rankings starting around 5.26.20? Google Algorithm Discussions 0
Lachlan_Wells Thoughts on 'See what's in store' Google My Business & Google Maps 0
Ben Walsh Anyone else seeing a bunch of pending review statuses in GMB? Local Search 6
Ellen See More Hours - Clicking on this doesn't open panel in SERP Google My Business & Google Maps 1
J New Manager Added but can't see Listings NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 2
Chaddow GMB restaurants recent change is anyone else seeing this role out Google My Business & Google Maps 4
sixthcitysarah Anyone seeing changes to URLS, categories, or descriptions reverting out of nowhere? Google My Business & Google Maps 15
R Trends we're seeing (thought I’d share) Local Search 1
Rich Owings Are you seeing declining organic traffic for lodging sites? Local Search 7
S Anyone else seeing huge traffic spikes? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
M How do you see the results of backlinks? Organic SEO 31
Jen Currier Is anyone else seeing a delay in the publication of responses for Google Reviews? Help & Support for Google Local 0
JoyHawkins June 2019 Core Update - What Are You Seeing? Google Algorithm Discussions 10
djbaxter Please see these two posts Mod Squad 3
djbaxter Seeing more contact form spam? Contact Form 7 now requires reCaptcha 3 Websites, Software, and Security 0
nathangdavidson 'See outside' photo not representative of clients actual location Google My Business & Google Maps 17
Cordell Crowley Unable to See Business's Star Rating/Number of Reviews at First Glance? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
J Did everyone see the new Google Home with the Screen? Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 7
Dan Foland Starting to see Google Search Console snippet in search results. Anyone else? Google News: Important Changes & Features 4
F Why am I seeing more and more no website businesses rank in 3 pack Local Search 12
Chaddow Anyone else seeing this error ? Google My Business & Google Maps 5
B How far away does a user have to be in order to see AdWords location extensions? Paid Search and Local Service Ads 3
Scott Rawlins eGumball Experience? Sorry Scott removed. See inside. Recycle Bin 3
J Added a business to maps.... cant see it Google Local 101 3
Eric Rohrback This... This is where i'd like to see more of our industry go Consultant's Corner 1
Chaddow Removing a Google Virtual Tour /See Inside from a Business Google My Business & Google Maps 0
Jim Froling 2/2017...Now You See Them...3/1/17: Now You Don't. 6/1/17...We're Back! Local Search 2
Conor Treacy Facebook Reviews - How To See Them Mobile & Social 4
H Tool to Search for a List Specific Address Locations to See if They are Listed in Map Local SEO Tools & Software 4
L Can google see that you have a voip phone even if you have a geograhic number ? Local Search 2
C Direction suffix - Would Google see this as two different businesses? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 7
C Direction suffix - Would Google see this as two different businesses? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 7
T What would you like to see in a WP plugin for Local SEO? Local SEO Tools & Software 23
hollypowell How Does Google Not See This? It's Obvious SPAM In the Worst Way Google My Business & Google Maps 8
JoyHawkins What Do you See for This SERP? Local Search 4
Priya Chandra Do you see what I see - 3rd party reviews in the local SERPs? Local Search 2
H Verbatim - Anyone else see this filter feature? Local Search 1
Dustybones STUDY: 5 Things We See With The New Local Pack Local Search 7
S Can't see all my devices - Tracking history Google My Business & Google Maps 0
CaseyMeraz New 3 Pack Click Test Study! See where potential visitors are clicking Google My Business & Google Maps 16
D Seeing wide spread Crap Pack results Local Search 1
Dustybones Local Directories See Drop - Opportunities Still Exist though Citations 1
JoyHawkins How to See ALL the Categories a G+ Page is Using Google My Business & Google Maps 15
warrenpd Is there a Definitive way to see if you are penalized Local Search 7
K Duplicate listing. I see it, but Google says it doesn't exist. Google My Business & Google Maps 3
S Seeing stars in Google Organic Google My Business & Google Maps 6
shondarogers Has anyone else see a dramatic drop in Direct Traffic? Marketing 3