Reaction score
So I have a dilemma... Client has a broad service area that includes 5 major cities, 3 phone numbers (each has different area code), one physical address, and Google My Business + all citiations built for one address.

I have some idea about what needs to be done, but what would you do? Any tips? Just wanna see if I'm on the right track.

TIA :)

Colan Nielsen

Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
Hi Tia,

What are your ideas? :) Would be curious to hear those.

I wouldn't expect the GMB page to rank in all five of those cities. It can be next to impossible to rank for any cities outside of the actual city that the business is located in.

Focus on organic traffic for the other cities. Create optimized pages for each city.

And invest in some Adwords as well.

Reaction score
Hi Tia,

What are your ideas? :) Would be curious to hear those.

I wouldn't expect the GMB page to rank in all five of those cities. It can be next to impossible to rank for any cities outside of the actual city that the business is located in.

Focus on organic traffic for the other cities. Create optimized pages for each city.

And invest in some Adwords as well.

Yep, I totally agree. I think it will be impossible to rank all the other cities with the one GMB listing. So the plan is to get addresses for each city and create separate GMB listings. Right now all three phone number are on the header, do you think this is confusing GMB since there is only one listing associated with one phone number right now?

Already have custom pages for each city established. And already running Adwords.

Colan Nielsen

Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
So the plan is to get addresses for each city and create separate GMB listings.

I personally wouldn't advise this as a strategy. It's not a sustainable approach and with the current iteration of the GMB guidelines would lead to those listings being deleted/suspended.

Here's the guidelines.

Service-area businesses
Service-area businesses--business that serve customers at their locations--should have one page for the central office or location and designate a service area from that point.

Reaction score
Hey Tia,

We have several clients with the exact same situation,
The most important thing like Mr. Colan suggested is that you distinguish the difference between each service area.

That can be done by adding local area pages within your client's website, refining your home page to interlink to those pages, easy access to those areas anywhere within the website, and if you want to go and take it a step further, develop the website so it can identify the visitor by their IP address and localize it to the destination in the website, for example if the client is from Seattle and their IP address the website will automatically push that visitor to see the content for the Service Area page.

In terms of rankings and GMB, the citations needs to be created PER page (PER AREA) with unique NAP for each, preferably LOCAL CITATIONS either from the same city or from local website.

Just a few suggestions, hope this helps a bit.

Reactions: pwa
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
djbaxter SEO Company Sabotages Ex-Client's GMB & Maps Listing Google My Business & Google Maps 0
dave101 Looking for an SEO consultant with experience optimizing IT support companies Local SEO Job Board 1
A i would like to speak to you regarding google my business listings and future seo management for my company Contact Us Messages 3
T How To do SEO for Software Development company Local SEO Tools & Software 2
S SPAM Re: How to find a good SEO local company? Recycle Bin 0
G Looking for an SEO consultant for a Local Construction Company Local SEO Job Board 0
G DUPE Looking for an SEO consultant for a Local Construction Company Recycle Bin 0
A New(ish) SEO and Website Optimization company Recycle Bin 0
Linda Buquet Google My Business Finally Adds Advice for Working w/ SEO Companies - Joy Hawkins Google My Business & Google Maps 2
E 3rd party SEO company holding clients GMB listing hostage Google My Business & Google Maps 15
G Has Anyone Purchased An SEO Company? Consultant's Corner 11
F Running Local SEO Company Out of my House Consultant's Corner 6
jvaquino Do you want to work for other local seo company? Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 6
Marie Ysais Ranking Practices by Local Major SEO Companies Local Search 2
Shelly Pros & Cons of Facebook Locations for Local SEO (for a Credit Union) Multi-Location Issues 3
rich_marlatt What Wordpress plugins do you recommend for SEO and Schema Markup? Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 4
rich_marlatt Do the number of backlinks from a domain have any impact on local SEO? Local Search 2
brettmandoes Hiring SEO Analyst - Full Time - Remote Accepted Local SEO Job Board 0
ganapathy Wix Platform From SEO point of view Websites, Software, and Security 4
Annika Neudecker One year later, is your GMB/local SEO traffic still up? Local Search 3
Chandra What is the state of reputation management in SEO and marketing? Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 1
djbaxter New Local SEO tool from BrightLocal: Local Search Grid Local SEO Tools & Software 7
F Turkish post: Google My Business local seo Recycle Bin 0
F Google My Business local seo Google Local 101 3
A Pointing SEO friendly domain to old domain and its effect on GMB ranking? Local Search 4
david.victor Best SEO/GMB Reporting Tools for Outreach? Consultant's Corner 4
B SEO A/B Testing is possible... And it is easier than you think Recycle Bin 0
J Voice SEO suggestions? Organic SEO 2
M Client Says SEO Should Be Paid By Commission Only Consultant's Corner 15
Kayla Adam Canadian Local SEO Agency Needed Local Search 3
shively Microsoft Clarity (Local SEO heatmap tool) Local Search 2
djbaxter Webinar Technical SEO Help Hour Oct. 28 Events 0
djbaxter Take the 2020 Local SEO Blackbelt Quiz Events 0
C The value of a blog on a website for local SEO Local Search 58
N Local SEO for Franchisee Local Search 4
D SEO Audit Expert / Consultant Needed Local SEO Job Board 1
djbaxter SEO Cheat Sheet for Small Businesses Organic SEO 0
DanielTexasLira Has anyone done Local SEO on a Dual Pad Hotel (two different hotel brands sharing the same location)? Local Search 6
djbaxter Do SEOs Blindly Believe Google's John Mueller? Organic SEO 2
djbaxter Google on Canonicalization: SEO Mythbusting Organic SEO 0
djbaxter SEO myth-busting: What is NOT a Google search ranking factor Organic SEO 3
djbaxter What SEOs get wrong about Google updates Google Algorithm Discussions 0
georgebizpro What are your favorite on-page local SEO tactics? Local Search 2
Monica Simpson Local SEO Professional ZOOM - July 17th Events 6
CraigJMount 10-Minute Survey Request for People Who Have Hired SEO Agencies Local Search 1
Andrew Shotland Local SEO Guide is Hiring a Sr Director of SEO Local SEO Job Board 0
Monica Simpson Last Local SEO Zoom Friday July 10 Events 0
P I need a recommendation of a person implementing Schema.org (vast experience in json-ld and SEO) Local SEO Job Board 4
Monica Simpson Local SEO Zoom - June 25th LSF News and Announcements 0
djbaxter SEO people continue to debate about E-A-T but Google has been clear and consistent Organic SEO 0