More threads by Linda Buquet

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Don?t let this happen to you!

ScaryDentalPic.jpg

This Dentist has a decent web site and it seem like he probably cares about trying to put his best foot forward and create a good impression for patients.

But he's not keeping an eye on his Google+ Local page! :eek:

When I stumbled on that image in map search I thought either this Dentist has terrible image taste in selection or he has a really unhappy patient. Yep - user upload!

Not only can users upload negative images, but Google sometimes changes your name or address on you
OR there is a bug and your phone # disappears. So put it on your to-do list (or your staff's) to check your Google+ Local with a fine tooth comb at least weekly.

And while you are at it, check for duplicate listings that can steal reviews and hurt your ranking!

/end public service announcement. :p

ScaryDentalPic.jpg

Ya that image is kinda cool in a way. Thanks for tracking down the history.

Kinda sccary for a Dental office though. :eek:

Thanks for the public announcement/warning Linda. It's generally a good idea to keep an eye on the Google+ Local page for lots of reasons.

Ha! That image (whilst being cool) really makes you click away and not use that Dentist!:eek:

I find it interesting that a Google reviewer approved that photo...:confused:

REALLY? :( Good catch Colan. I never even checked MM, just posted as soon as I saw it.

Wondered if anyone was going to notice too the name is Geo Stuffed? (Possibly)

This Dentist could be a good lead for someone, he obviously needs some help and has several locations.

Sorry Linda, I just meant that a photo that is uploaded by a "google user" has to be approved before it's published live. Doesn't it?

So if that's the case, it makes me wonder WHY this photo upload wouldn't have been denied...

Ahhh, sorry, I thought you sounded like you actually saw a Googler edit approval.

Good question for Andrew and Gregg...

Do you guys know the procedure for approving user image uploads.

I've seen other cases of image slander if you will. One you guys might remember is the Insurance agent that had dog poo images added to his listing.

On a related note, there was a guy who taught in a course about how to hijack competitor listings by putting IMAGE ADS like "Get a $20% Discount - Call This Number" on competing listings. He said lots of those images even stick.

So makes me wonder how much images are really reviewed before going live???

Ahhh, sorry, I thought you sounded like you actually saw a Googler edit approval.

Good question for Andrew and Gregg...

Do you guys know the procedure for approving user image uploads.

I've seen other cases of image slander if you will. One you guys might remember is the Insurance agent that had dog poo images added to his listing.

On a related note, there was a guy who taught in a course about how to hijack competitor listings by putting IMAGE ADS like "Get a $20% Discount - Call This Number" on competing listings. He said lots of those images even stick.

So makes me wonder how much images are really reviewed before going live???
User image uploads are a G+ thing I believe. They aren't in Maps so we don't see them.

Don't think it's G+. User image uploads were around back when they were still Place pages.

Here's the dog poo insurance agent image from SEO Roundtable - June 2011.

t-poop-on-google-place-page-1308917665.jpg

Or at least the problem of user image uploads has been around since back then. Wonder how/who approves these or if they are moderated at all?

t-poop-on-google-place-page-1308917665.jpg

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom