zeta

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have been a reader for a while, but I finally had the need to post something requiring some help therefore I have a new account.

There is a physical restaurant business with two locations: Locations | Pokitrition - Poke Shop . One is in Phoenix, and the other one in Chandler. The two locations have been claimed in Google Business.

When using Google Maps in town, no matter where I am even when near the Phoenix location, when I type: pokitrition; and then I click on search; it would always zoom in on the Chandler location. I believe this same behavior can be replicated for you if you would search for: pokitrition in arizona.

The desired result would be is to have both locations shown in the map at the same time. But this doesn't happen and I don't know how to fix this.

I have looked through a lot of articles online and the only place I found where they described something similar happening was here:
Displaying multiple branch locations on the map that appears in Google Search results
But the solution didn't help me.

If anyone has any ideas on how to fix this, please post.

Thanks a lot.

Yan Gilbert

Administrator
Local Search Expert
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
My general answer to this situation is that the strength of one listing is overpowering the other. You will need to boost the weaker listing in the eyes of the algorithm.

There is a review imbalance so that may be some of the cause. Evening that out would help things, but that is not in your direct control. Age of the listing may affect it as well, but that should balance out over time. The site does not seem to be favoring one location over the other as far as keywords on cursory glance.

I would check the citations of the Phoenix location. See if there is more you can do to feed the algo with more data. Not sure if they are lacking.

zeta

Reaction score
Hi Yan,

I heard about the overpowering opinion before, but I am hesitant to believe that was happening. In my opinion, I thought that maybe there was a bug on Google's end. I thought Google would be smart enough to put at least a second entry on the map results. But maybe I am wrong.

I have gone through all the citations for the Phoenix location manually, just like I did for the Chandler location at first. So in this perspective, it should be balanced.

I really hope that this would be balanced over time; there is a third location opening soon as well.

If anyone has any other input, please chime in.

By the way, when testing, it seems like from any location if you search in Google Maps: pokitrition, it brings you to the Chandler location. :(

Thanks!

JoshuaMackens

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Chandler has the authority because of the age, interaction with the listing, and the reviews.

I imagine this will be resolved soon on its own. Google normally puts GMB listings on a filter for 1 - 1.5 years. Not that they don't rank, they do, just not as well as they could.

Reviews are probably the main thing to do to get it to jump quicker.

Also, when I type in "pokitrition phoenix az" I get both listings, with Phoenix on top.

JoshuaMackens

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
It can be sped up with SEO theoretically, business listings, online reviews, etc.

JoyHawkins

Administrator
Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
This happens a lot when a brand links both listings to the same page on the website. In your case, both are linking to the homepage. It often confuses Google and causes filtering issues.

I'd test out creating location pages for both locations on the site (just about that location) and linking GMB listings to those. The only downfall is that it *could* cause a ranking drop for the older location since the homepage is more authoritative. I'd test it.

zeta

Reaction score
It can be sped up with SEO theoretically, business listings, online reviews, etc.
I have already created all the business listings for both, so numbers match. Reviews, well those come in due time, I won't be able to speed those up. I think I did most of the common SEO practices already. Thanks.

This happens a lot when a brand links both listings to the same page on the website. In your case, both are linking to the homepage. It often confuses Google and causes filtering issues.

I'd test out creating location pages for both locations on the site (just about that location) and linking GMB listings to those. The only downfall is that it *could* cause a ranking drop for the older location since the homepage is more authoritative. I'd test it.
I have read that before, and also I have read that Google no longer needed those. I looked at several listings in Google Maps for other multi-location business listings and they all point to the homepage so I didn't think of giving it a try.

I might give it a try next month. Thanks

zeta

Reaction score
I just wanted to give an update on the situation. As of today 5/13/2019, when I search on Google Maps for 'pokitrition' both locations show up!

I didn't do anything else than what I had done; I just waited it out.

As information for others, this problem had been there for 8 months!

Thanks for everyone for their valuable input.