Nick Rink

Reaction score
Much of the content that gets written about #citations has a US focus and some of the best companies that deal with citations are based either there or in Canada (except for our own BrightLocal of course!). Wanted to post how I see things currently here in the UK and see if anyone from across the pond recognises any similarities.

Structured citations have always been important for local search. If you also add in Google My Business and reviews then that's over a third of the main ranking factors sorted, according to the annual Moz list. Over the past 15-18 months I've noticed more companies offering local listings management or local directory submission services. It's great that local search is becoming more publicised but I think that some of the entries into the market may end up doing more harm than good.

Yext has been around for a while, as has UBL. Even Moz has now entered the local listings market. Here in the UK we've got larger traditional directories who are also hopping in. There's ThomsonLocal (Get Me Everywhere), Scoot (SubmitTrakz) and Infoserve, who have been providing data for Yahoo, CityVisitor and others for a while now. No doubt there are others too.

Services vary to a point, with the Scoot product claiming to cover over 550 directories! With Get Me Everywhere, for example, a business can pay ?80 per month and get listed with "in excess of 200 parners". I looked into it a little more and no, they don't check for #duplicates or any older listings that may exists. They just create fresh listings. Then if you decide to stop paying they'll delete the main listing.

So for any business that doesn't know any better and, let's be honest, some agencies who offer local without properly understanding it, they're paying a smidge under ?500 a year to have duplicate listings created right across the web.

So a couple of questions:

1. Just how bad are duplicate citations?
  2. Is the only way to clean up citations manually?
My answers would be "bad" to number 1, depending on the authority of the citation site itself. And my answer to 2 would be "yes".

Am thinking of using some of this in a blog post I'm working on so would really value any input from the members here.

Reaction score
Hey Nick

Yep for the UK, there is a much smaller offering then the US and I kind of have my core citations ( national ) at 25, the others offer no value to be honest.

Then of course I look for regional and then niche, so all in all a client probably ends up with around 35 - 40 decent and accurate citations. ( Unless their business is in skeggy :) )

I always build manually, cleanup manually.

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Hi Nick,

Somehow I missed this thread til now. I'll Tweet and see if we can get more insights for you.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
360 Spin Top Citation Sources in the United States, Canada, UK and Australia Citations 1
Elpi Having different City State in local citation Google Local 101 1
D A client has 3 verified GMB's across 2 states,with service pages for each location. Should service pages have only their respective locations address? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 4
Chandra What is the state of reputation management in SEO and marketing? Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 1
accessted My SAB Showing in a different state Service Area Businesses 15
B Will Removing Addresses for Multiple State SAB Result in Dup Listing or Suspension? Service Area Businesses 4
djbaxter Webinar The State of Online Reviews in 2021 - January 14th at 2pm EST Events 0
djbaxter Webinar The State of Local Search 2021 [Webinar + Q&A] Events 0
coachmarino Ranking in Next Door State? Local Search 2
Jen Currier Can a Business have two GMB listings within the same state if one is set up as a SAB and the other w/a Physical Address? Google Duplicates & Merges 5
djbaxter Webinar: The State of Local Search in 2020 Events 1
codyecp Business / State Legal Name vs. Real World Business Name for NAP? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 6
M Are these doorway pages? multiple city and state pages? Local Search 11
Jo Shaer Areaserved Schema - English counties/US states? Local Search 2
georgebizpro State of SEO industry: a vent post Consultant's Corner 8
P Community Offers by State Farm Local Search 8
OneBlessedDude Business moved out of state, Seemed to be in a Jail Local Search 20
Durandl Is including City/state in meta title and H1 still useful for ranking Local Search 10
JoshuaMackens Client in Airports Across the United States Google My Business & Google Maps 0
Margaret Ornsby Few of goodies from State of Search (via twitter) Organic SEO 4
James Watt State of local search overview Local Search 1
Linda Buquet The State of Local SEO & Where to Focus - Casey Meraz @Moz Local Search 3
ColoradoChris I added state service areas, but can't find myself? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
R State-level Business Registrations - Good for Rankings? Local Search 27
H Blogging for local client got 189 visits last month, 9 from their home state Local Search 7
JoyHawkins Google just Publicly Stated a 4th Local Ranking Factor Google My Business & Google Maps 14
H Removing City and state from GMB business name Google My Business & Google Maps 2
M Two Google Local listings, one states permanently closed - Don't want either :( Help & Support for Google Local 6
M Using City and State Local Search 4
warrenpd Using State in Page Titles Local Search 3
ColoradoChris State - Keywords - Location - State | Trying to clarify how to rank for state wide Local Search 2
A Why City & State in Title of page Local Search 4
jsherloc State Farm Insurance Agents Clarifications Local Search 6
Linda Buquet VIDEO is UP! "State of Local Search" Webinar with Blumenthal, Shotland & Rozek Local Search 0
Linda Buquet The State of Local Search - Experts Speak - Free Webinar Local Search 3
Sunnie Dog Google Place Page For Business That Operates In 2 Different States? Help & Support for Google Local 6
Brian Alaway Places stuck for months in "Pending" state Help & Support for Google Local 27
WineCountryCarpetCleaning City plus State in H1 Local Search 1
Simon James Just to check my understanding of the current state of play for multiple locations... Help & Support for Google Local 17
M Citations for Multi Location Landing Pages Citations 2
F Google Maps Citation confusion? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
valentinb13 GMB uses residential address—but client wants to use PO Box for other citations... Citations 3
Elmer .S What is the most accurate search strings to use when doing manual citation audit? Citations 7
JohnnyM Changing Information in citations Google Local 101 1
DragonXD SEMrush and citation service in Denmark NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 4
SpectateSwamp Long Business Name & Citations Recycle Bin 0
TriciaClements Long Business Name & Citations Citations 9
JoshuaMackens Insurance Citation Sites Local Search 5
K Law Practice Buyout and Existing Citations Citations 4
sixthcitysarah What citation sites would you say are still important in 2020? Citations 10