glossolalia

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm typically able to get to the bottom of most ranking issues, but this one has me totally stumped.

My site is for a brick and mortar company in New York. Let's assume it's a jewelry store.

I called Google a few months back about a separate issue, and I got to explaining to a rather unintelligent customer service rep that the company has a brick and mortar location but it's by appointment only, not a street level walk-in. The office is staffed, but not open to the public. I don't think she quite understood and I think she assumed we have no storefront whatsoever. I didn't make much of it at the time.

At this point the site was ranking about #20 in Local for the keyword "wedding rings nyc" and #26 in organic. Fine.

About a week later, the site completely vanishes from Google local. Its ranking in organic is unchanged, but the ranking for Local is gone. Not even last. I mean gone. And that's where it still stands today.

I won't divulge the URL, but let me say that the site's backlink profile is all from top newspapers / magazines and is 100% squeaky clean. It still ranks #26 in organic and it never took a big hit, so the site isn't link penalized.

The company is located in zip code 10036 and the site is optimized for the keyword "wedding rings nyc." Now here's the interesting bit...

When you search for "wedding jeweler 10036", the site is #3 in Local.
When you search for "wedding ring jeweler 10036," the site is #5 in Local.
When you search for "wedding jeweler nyc," the site is on the 2nd page.
When you search for "wedding ring jeweler nyc," the site is on the 3rd page.

When you search for "wedding rings jeweler 10036" with the plural "s" at the end of the word "ring," the site disappears again. Gone!

If anyone has any clue as to what is going on here, I'd sincerely appreciate your input. I don't mess much with Local SEO, I'm more of an organic guy. But the local ranking of this site is critical and I'm quite at a loss for what to make of this.

Thanks all.

mborgelt

Reaction score
I have two different businesses showing in those positions but both have citation inconsistencies on the major directories and neither have a proper NAP, map, structured data or other location signals on the home page. I would start there since those are must haves. Unless the two businesses I am seeing are not the site in question.

JoyHawkins

Administrator
Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Top Poster Of Month
Solutions
Reaction score
To make sure i'm understanding correctly - this business is not actually a jewelry store, you were just using that as an example?

Unfortunately I can't diagnose issues without knowing the specifics of the business. There are so many possibilities out there that could be impacting it and it's kind of like randomly grabbing from a hat without being able to see the details.

mborgelt

Reaction score
You're right, Joy. He PM'd me the actual page, Joy, but I encourage you to share the details with Joy, Glassolalia, as she is great at solving ranking issues!

JoyHawkins

Administrator
Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Top Poster Of Month
Solutions
Reaction score
Thanks Michael - he did.

I think the main issue is he is missing the core category that is needed to rank for the term he wants. I also suggested he remove the logo as the primary photo and replace it with a picture of the product - will probably convert way better.

glossolalia

Reaction score
Just updating this thread for anyone who might have a similar problem come up in the future.

I followed Joy's advice and added the category to our Business page. Voila, it came back.

Joy, you're a lifesaver!

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Cleaner44 Strange errors on Google+ pages verified to merge with Google+ Local... Google My Business & Google Maps 1
vivekrpatel Strange 404 Error URLs in Google Analytics Dashboard Websites, Software, and Security 1
Nikki Brown Strange use of descriptors on Google Local Search 3
Lachlan_Wells Local Falcon - Strange Results for Non-English Queries Local Search 5
rayrober Very Strange GMB Activity Multi-Location Issues 2
N New Client...Strange GMB Issue Service Area Businesses 5
Chaddow Strange things happening with review responses around the world Google My Business & Google Maps 13
obcted Sudden Steep Drop + Strange Happenings Local Search 9
chrish Strange G+/Local/MapMaker Issue Local Search 6
K Stranger In A Strange Land Introduce Yourself - We're Friendly 6
V Strange Insurance Categories in Baxter, MN Google My Business & Google Maps 3
RobinOctane Strange Company Creating YP Listings Local Search 7
M Strange UK rankings Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Dustybones Do you notice anything strange with this listing? Google My Business & Google Maps 10
Chris Ratchford Strange thing going on in SERPs with client's website Organic SEO 3
M Google Local Services Ads - Lack of Leads Paid Search and Local Service Ads 4
rustybrick Google Local ranking update? Google Algorithm Discussions 6
harmony How Does Google Choose Service Options in a Review? Local Reviews 6
abbiebeltran Google Reviews Now Have 'Service-Testimonial-Tags' at the Top Local Reviews 1
Tim Colling I'm getting calls from "Google Maps" at 650-206-5555, asking about clients' hours - are they legit? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
JoshuaMackens Google Posts & Ranking Local Search 10
A Listing suspended due to account manager spamming? Google advise to create new GMB Local Search 9
djbaxter Webinar Get together with Google Search at Search Central Live - February 23, 2021 Events 0
djbaxter Google Maps Removed 55M Reviews & 3M Fake Business Profiles Spam on Google 2
Professor M Google slapped in France over misleading hotel star ratings Google News: Important Changes & Features 0
D Google Spam Fighting Question Google My Business & Google Maps 6
C Fake google reviews on google my business Contact Us Messages 2
U Google showing location of Service Area Business Service Area Businesses 2
Lluc Google launches Years in Business in Search Google My Business & Google Maps 3
PaulSteinbrueck Average Google rating no longer in Google Knowledge Panel? Local Reviews 8
Professor M Is Google thinking of adding payment capabilities to GMB listings/website? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
NickB-Tampa How can I unsync Google My Business from my Bing Places listings? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
D Google "Find Results on" Error Local Search 3
F Turkish post: Google My Business local seo Recycle Bin 0
D Google Maps, Years in Business Google My Business & Google Maps 4
H Google COVID 19 posts getting suspended Google My Business & Google Maps 2
F Google My Business local seo Google Local 101 3
Vickyboli Google maps pin misplaced Google My Business & Google Maps 6
M Google rule for collecting reviews from a dedicated tablet inside a store ? Local Reviews 8
djbaxter Google on Interstitial Ads: Do what we say, not what we do Organic SEO 0
djbaxter Google Posts No Longer Expire After Seven Days Google My Business & Google Maps 5
B Discrepancy in Google SERP Info Local Reviews 2
M Can I Use Google Voice for Google My Business Phone Number? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
L Google Maps 'Details' section - Can you add to this or edit? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 3
A Google My Business Provider Program API Access İssues Recycle Bin 0
djbaxter Schema.org vs. Google's Structured Data Rich Results Organic SEO 0
M Google changes client's 5 year old, verified GMB to a duplicate listing Google Duplicates & Merges 7
R Facebook reviews dropped to 0; Google filtering reviews temporarily? Local Reviews 2
W Accepted Health Insurance Feature on Google My Business Google News: Important Changes & Features 14
M Google keeps reverting our clients address, no matter how many times we send a postcard Moving or Name Changes 4