More threads by mjmj

mjmj

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding the use of subdomains for Google Business profiles. I've spent many hours searching Google for an answer with no luck so am hoping someone here might be able to help.

The Problem:
We are in the process of creating a service which allows local trades people the ability to have their own customisable website. Each website would use the same overall template though the colours, logos and services being offered would be tailored to each individual business. This includes phone numbers and company addresses which would be tailored to each business that signs-up to have a website.

The key thing to note with this service is that the websites created are built as subdomains on the main domain, please see example URLs below.

Main site: www.website.co.uk
Trades person A: TradeA.website.co.uk
Trades person B: TradeB.website.co.uk
Trades person C: TradeC.website.co.uk

Each of the subdomains would be tailored to the different business with their phone number and address being visible across their subdomain pages. The question we are trying to solve however is if it is possible to create individual Google Business profiles for each of the trades people (A,B & C) which use their own subdomain websites? Or if Google will take issue with the same root domain being visible across multiple Google Business profiles ignoring the subdomain altogether?

I hope the above makes sense though please feel free to ask for more info.

Thanks!

I have never tested specifically myself but based on the fact I have seen company websites subdomains on wordpress.com, wix.com, squarespace.com etc. that have GBPs they don't ignore the subdomains and list the root:

I don't know if there are any pros or cons as far as visibility goes vs. an individual domain.

I am in the process of building out a WP multisite for a niche, in my case a part of the system is mapping a domain to each subsite.

What framework are you building the system on (always curious about what others are building)?

Whether or not they use a subdomain doesn't matter as far as they're eligibility for a Google business profile is concerned.

If they are simply employees of the business then technically they do not qualify for their own Google business profile. However, if they are individually licensed operators or franchise owners then they could qualify.

I have never tested specifically myself but based on the fact I have seen company websites subdomains on wordpress.com, wix.com, squarespace.com etc. that have GBPs they don't ignore the subdomains and list the root:

I don't know if there are any pros or cons as far as visibility goes vs. an individual domain.

I am in the process of building out a WP multisite for a niche, in my case a part of the system is mapping a domain to each subsite.

What framework are you building the system on (always curious about what others are building)?

Thanks for the feedback Brian.

We're using WordPress along side a number of various plugins to enable us to quickly create customisable duplicates which automatically generate new subdomains off the root domain. So far in testing its working really well from a site generation perspective though long term I think we want trial duplicating the core them over to bespoke domains however this seems to be a much bigger technical task!.

Best of luck with your project.

Whether or not they use a subdomain doesn't matter as far as they're eligibility for a Google business profile is concerned.

If they are simply employees of the business then technically they do not qualify for their own Google business profile. However, if they are individually licensed operators or franchise owners then they could qualify.

Thanks for the response Colan, it's reassuring to know this won't present any issues and given the people signing up are either sole traders or owners of small firms they should all be eligible for Google Business profiles. Our next step will be to try an optimise their profiles to help maximise their exposure and hopefully generate some new customer leads.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom