Reaction score
End-of-deception-5Ws-of-Online-Reviews.jpg

The End of Deception: The 5 W’s of Online Reviews

As useful as online reviews can be, let’s face facts–there’s an awful lot of BS out there.

Take a look at a study conducted by the Harvard Business School. According to their data, 20% of the Yelp reviews you see are fake. And they’re not the only ones that think this is an issue. Yelp themselves have gone on record claiming thatabout 25% of their submitted reviews are suspicious or not recommended.

Let’s be clear: the modern consumer is anything but stupid. Over the years, fake reviews have just made the people more critical of online reviews. But despite all of these issues, the online review system is still one of the best ways for local businesses to educate potential customers and take advantage of ‘word-of-mouth’ marketing.

With 80% of people trusting online reviews as much as they trust personal recommendations, it’s not like the average local business can afford to ‘sit on the sidelines’ when it comes to online reviews. But all of this data brings up a few questions.

What can businesses do to get the most out of the online review system?

The answer to that question begins with a critical realization: the world is not what it used to be.

So the big question is, do you believe that online reviews are becoming more or less dependable when it comes to an honest assessment of a business?

Are some Online Review sites more reliable than others? Which Online Review Site has the most 'credibility' in your eyes?

Read the full post here.

End-of-deception-5Ws-of-Online-Reviews.jpg

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
F Replied to some stupid chain email, ended up getting my Google account disabled, got back on, now all my GMB listings are 'Suspended' but live in maps Google My Business & Google Maps 6
L Is having "inc" at the end of the brand an issue? Help & Support for Google Local 3
D Acxiom's Directory will close at the end of the year Citations 8
hajnasiewicz GSC discontinues support for Mobile Apps end of the month (March 31, 2019) Mobile & Social 0
Colan Nielsen Google Adding Front-End GMB Editor to Maps NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 4
Garrett Sussman Why Clients Don't Live Up to Their End of the Bargain (and How to Fix It) Local Reviews 2
Garrett Sussman 7 Local Search Conferences Worth Attending Before the End of 2017 Local Reviews 2
djbaxter The (Final Official) End of Google Toolbar PageRank Organic SEO 3
Linda Buquet ▶ Video: End-to-End Citation Discovery & Management by Darren Shaw @ LocalU Citations 0
M Yahoo declaring the end of G+ Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Linda Buquet RIP Yahoo Maps - To Die End of June Local Search 5
Dino Locksmith Spam - It never ends... Spam on Google 10
Linda Buquet Classic Maps won't Stick - Beginning of the End??? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Linda Buquet AWAY from Forum - Old End 5/31/14 Mod Squad 284
djbaxter Public PageRank updates ending? Organic SEO 1
L Killer, High End, Out-of-the-Box Ideas for Local Business Listings Google Business View 16
Linda Buquet Killer, High End, Out-of-the-Box Ideas for Local Business Listings Google My Business & Google Maps 16
Marc Prosser Win $500 In Local Mobile Advertising From NearWoo! (ends August 15th, 2013) Recycle Bin 1
keyserholiday Washington AG files lawsuit over deceptive marketing practices. Local Reviews 0
djbaxter Webinar The State of Online Reviews in 2021 - January 14th at 2pm EST Events 0
djbaxter The Online Companies That Know the Most About You Mobile & Social 0
J Online Care SERP Feature - How to Be Included Google Local 101 5
F Optimizing for local and online - broader areas? Local Search 0
Adam C. Online Scheduling Recommendations - Contractors Google My Business & Google Maps 1
M "Online Care" icon on 3 pack listing: How to get it? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
abbiebeltran Define Service Options Attribute - Online Appointments NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 1
djbaxter Attend SMX June 23-24 online… for free Events 0
StephanieNewton Local Search Clinic with Phil Rozek (Online Reviews) Local Reviews 1
CarrieHill Get Online Care link showing up on Healthcare listings Google My Business & Google Maps 2
JoyHawkins Google My Business Adds a New Contact Form for Restaurants to Remove Online Ordering Google News: Important Changes & Features 0
djbaxter Extra visitors online details for Admins Admin Stuff 1
JoyHawkins Advanced Local SEO Training Now Available Online LSF News and Announcements 0
JoyHawkins Digital Marketing for Attorneys Online Summit Events 0
Susan AWESOME new tool to score online reviews from Whitespark Local Reviews 2
S How does online calculator help marketers? Recycle Bin 1
Garrett Sussman Is it Easier to Sell Review Management Online or IRL?? Local Reviews 0
PaulSteinbrueck Contribute a tip about online reviews? Contact Us Messages 0
Garrett Sussman 6 Ways Online Reviews Help Businesses Internally Local Reviews 4
rosie.brightlocal New BrightLocal data: Online Reputation Management Survey Local Reviews 2
Garrett Sussman Building the Perfect Online Listing in the Hospitality Industry Local Reviews 0
djbaxter Google My Business: Looking Good Online with GMB Photos Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Garrett Sussman Reverse Engineering The Perfect Online Reviews Local Reviews 2
Garrett Sussman How To Share Online Reviews Proactively Using Social Media Local Reviews 2
vivekrpatel Online Reputation & Google My Business Page Local Search 4
Garrett Sussman 4 Contract Templates for Online Review Management Services Local Reviews 2
Garrett Sussman How To Prove the ROI of Online Review Management Local Reviews 8
Garrett Sussman What You Need to Know: Online Review Management and Marketing in 2018 Local Reviews 2
Garrett Sussman 3 Strategies For Prospecting Online Review Management Clients Local Reviews 2
Garrett Sussman How To Sell Online Review Management To Enterprises and Franchises Local Reviews 3
vivekrpatel How do I promote a website online for a specific city audience to generate sales? Local Search 0