Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
I just read an article that I thought would be so helpful to your busy SMB clients that get confused and overwhelmed with online marketing.

This is such a beautifully simple concept!

By Damian Rollison from UBL - published at Street Fight.

<a href="http://streetfightmag.com/2015/02/18/the-five-places-method-for-manageable-local-marketing/">The ‘Five Places’ Method for Manageable Local Marketing | Street Fight</a>

What I’m calling the “five places” method is a simple way to organize one’s efforts based on an inventory of what matters most for your business. The key here is that active participation on the part of the business owner or a trusted representative makes a huge difference in marketing effectiveness. You can delegate some activities to an agency, such as designing your website or building citations on local directories; but at some point the business must put in the effort to build audience.

So the idea is to choose five places where the types of customers you want are most likely to find you online, and make sure you’re doing something every week on at least one of those places to show loyal and potential customers that you’re interested in gaining their attention and winning their business. The five places will not be the same for every business, but you’ll want to try to fill in something for each of these categories.

It gives you just 5 places to focus your attention on. Your own site of course is #1, then a local search site like G+ Local, a social site like Facebook or G+, a review site like Yelp and a niche site - one hopefully where your potential patients hang out.

Now of course that really over-simplifies things because each one has numerous aspects to it. Your site - well the possibilities and challenges there are endless. And G+ Local? I've written thousands of pages of advice, tips and troubleshooting on that part, so there is a lot to managing that one piece.

But I still think this is a helpful simple strategy to help an SMB focus their time and effort.

What do you think?

P.S. I keep forgetting to add into to our 101 section, so thought this was a good one!

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
J Google place in pending status for past five months. Please help Help & Support for Google Local 19
kkbedard Five Google+ Pages for client - Merging and deleting help! Help & Support for Google Local 6
Linda Buquet Five (5) Under-Appreciated Sources for Local Link Building Success by LSEO Local Search 4
kellylarson Five reviews not enough? Local Reviews 19
Linda Buquet New Book: "Five Stars: Putting Online Reviews to Work for Your Business" Local Reviews 1
NickB-Tampa How can I unsync Google My Business from my Bing Places listings? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
Koray Tuğberk GÜBÜR Two Different Business Places at the Same Address: Should I Add Them to GMB? Local Search 1
raellovepie Bing Places (Canada) - Add Special Hours Local Search 1
Ellen Looking for live example of website using Place Photos Google My Business & Google Maps 4
brownaddesign Help with Bing Places - Accidently imported all our GMB listings Local Search 3
CarrieHill Thanks to Places Scout for Continuing to be a LocalU Advanced Gold Sponsor Events 5
LocalSEODat Need help with a suspended GMB - Client had home address as place of biz, then suspended. Fixed to meet customers and got reply with no reason Service Area Businesses 6
hajnasiewicz Place an order link Google News: Important Changes & Features 1
U How is Google Selecting Places on Google Local Context Maps Google My Business & Google Maps 0
j_holtslander Insta-fail when creating a place? Help & Support for Google Local 5
Ben Walsh Am I asking questions in the right place ? Contact Us Messages 1
hajnasiewicz Bing Places for Business: add Administrator Local Content 4
hajnasiewicz Bing Places for Business Local Search 3
LauraUK Placing a bulk "lock on" directory listings Citations 7
CarrieHill NEW Use Places Scout to Create Visual Aids for Ranking, Monitor GMB Changes & Create GMB Scorecards Local SEO Tools & Software 4
Rich Owings Bing Places error Citations 4
C Service area business has no findable Place ID Google Local 101 6
Justin Mosebach Google Maps Lists (Saved Places) Google My Business & Google Maps 0
liorenda Place ID for SAB Service Area Businesses 3
T Will GMB consider a review placed by a customer who was taken to court for a Judgement recovered by the business as Spam or Fake Comment? Local Reviews 1
Colan Nielsen Google Now Displaying "Place Topics" on Desktop Google News: Important Changes & Features 1
S Google places email signature with updating review count Google My Business & Google Maps 9
vivekrpatel How Do We Generate Google Place API? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
JoyHawkins When did Bing Places Remove the Option to Add Categories? Local Search 5
Grabgooglesgoogles Claiming Public Spaces & Places Help & Support for Google Local 1
JoyHawkins Google Launches Place Topics Google News: Important Changes & Features 10
BenFisher More Places to become More Businesses ? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
Somsenater Import data from Google My Business in Bing Places for Business Local Search 11
marcusdb GMB duplicate marked as "Place Doesn't Exist" - can you recover the deleted listing? Google Duplicates & Merges 2
Chay Google Map Place labels Help & Support for Google Local 2
djbaxter The best place to hide a body Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 1
P GMB Verses Bing Places - Can I use the same content for both & can inconsistancy between the two harm rankings? Google Local 101 4
AndySimpson Bing Places - Get our latest Android app, coming soon for iOS Local Search 1
C Tracking Google Places Traffic Google My Business & Google Maps 1
T Tracking Google Places With UTM tracking in Google Anlaytics Google My Business & Google Maps 1
bhartzer Added New Place on Maps.. Google Puts Location as My House Google My Business & Google Maps 2
B Suite Naming Conventions for Google Places Google My Business & Google Maps 2
J Facebook?s Places Graph makes 140 million locations available to developers Mobile & Social 4
HangTenSEO Adding Managers/Admins To Bing Places? Local Search 0
Creativedge 20-year-old Business disappeared from "More Places" Help & Support for Google Local 9
A Which Address to Use for Ranking in Google Places Citations 11
Tim Colling GMB Places listings for *Recruiting* offices, not customer-facing offices? Local Search 11
Ben Bowen Best Place to Start w PPC? Paid Search and Local Service Ads 2
Conor Treacy Odd place for links - inside WebsiteOptimization's website Marketing 3
MiriamEllis Does Google 'My Places' Still Exist? Google My Business & Google Maps 2