Reaction score
27 Things That Help and Hurt SEO
by Duane Forrester, Bing Webmaster Blog
July 26, 2013

What to pay attention to:

• Title tags
  • Meta Descriptions
  • Clean URLs
  • Images and Alt descriptions (also called alt tags)
  • H1 tags
  • Rel=Canonical
  • Robots.txt
  • Sitemaps
  • Social sharing options
  • Unique content
  • Depth of content
  • Matching content type to visitor expectations (text, images, video, etc.)
  • Usability Page load times (to a certain point ? faster is great, but not at the expense of usability and usefulness)
  • Crawlability (AKA discoverability, so can we actually get to all your content)
  • News ? if you are actually a new site, submit for inclusion
What to skip:

• Meta Keywords (fill them in if you like, keep it short and relevant, but not a big ranking factor)
  • Duplicate URLs
  • Overly long URLs (no set number, but you?ve all seen these)
  • Cloaking (comes down to your intent, but risky business for sure)
  • Link buying
  • Selling links
  • Link and like farms
  • Three way links
  • Content duplication content
  • Auto following in social media

Read more...

Michael Usov

Reaction score
Great thread djbaxter,

thanks for that. When you say depth of content, do you mean number of words or the way it was written or something esle?

would also like to add

broken links
spelling errors
html and css issues ( i like Unicorn for that )

Wondering what you all think about other onsite things like

-links to social sites and where do you place them follow/nofollow etc
-people thoughts on outgoing links to authority sites and where to place them on the site

also anything else people want to add to the list would be great!!

All the best,

Michael

djbaxter

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
These are guidelines from Bing so you might want to ask the question as a comment on the blog post: 27 Things That Help and Hurt SEO.

But I would assume it means not just content about the given subject but content that makes some meaningful contribution to the topic.

As one example, to me that would absolutely rule out article spinning: No matter how many words you change, it's still something that has been said over and over and over again. That is not meaningful content or content in depth to me.

Laustin1878

Reaction score
I would wager a guess that depth of content is referring expressing a deep knowledge of the subject at hand. Several articles that circulate around the core subject as well as some meaty articles.

I know Bing was notorious for paying a lot of attention to on-page optimization which is fairly evident in the list provided. They focused and weighted sites that had meta keywords, descriptions, etc.

Linking out should only be used if you truly feel that the site you are linking to will benefit your readers (same should hold true for sites that link to you). Linking out is what can actually land your site in trouble if you link to a bad neighborhood whereas inbound links can't hurt you as much. Also, links out take visitors away from your site. I always stayed away from outbound links unless I saw a kick ass article or reference that my readers would benefit from.

Linking to social sites should not be an issue. Depending on how much visibility you want for them, you could put icons at the top of the site, bottom of an article or in the footer. I always use the footer and seeing more common now, the tops of sites.

Hope this helps a little.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
djbaxter Bugs and things not working as expected in Xenforo 2.2 Forum Software Updates and Technical Issues 4
S Buying reviews, is this a real thing? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
bruce@brucejone Optimizing Images For GMB - Things Have Changed Google My Business & Google Maps 8
Barb Davids Are cities and zip codes in the footer still a thing? Local Search 2
LocalSEODat Hey Gang - if you get high volume of reviews and only reply to positive ones, is that a bad thing? Local Reviews 2
M Backlinking Citations: Is this a "Thing"? Local Search 8
freerunr Interesting Things in Local Finder: Question Mark and "Write a Review" Google News: Important Changes & Features 2
R Free Webinar: 15 Things You Must Do to Improve Your Google My Business Rank in 2019 Events 2
Chaddow Strange things happening with review responses around the world Google My Business & Google Maps 13
Jim Froling Joining This Forum Is The Best Thing You Have Done Introduce Yourself - We're Friendly 7
cd2 Are Hashtags in Google My Business Posts STILL a Good Thing? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
JoyHawkins _ Things to do in 2016 for Local SEO Post Drafts (Private) 0
JoyHawkins Is there Such Thing as a Description Penalty? Google My Business & Google Maps 10
Dustybones STUDY: 5 Things We See With The New Local Pack Local Search 7
Dustybones Is It a Bad Thing If You Don't Change Your Clients To HTTPS? Organic SEO 5
Linda Buquet 5 Things that Annoy the Heck out of Your Local SEO Clients - RU Guilty? Consultant's Corner 3
Linda Buquet 10 Things I Learned About Local SEO In 2014 - Andrew Shotland Local Search 0
Linda Buquet 12 Things To Check In Your Local Homepage SEO Audit + 2 Warnings Local Search 4
Linda Buquet 5 Things You Need To Be Doing Post Pigeon Local Search 0
Dustybones 7 things businesss do that can hurt local rankings Local Search 0
Dustybones A few things SMB's don't understand about SEO Local Search 0
Linda Buquet 10 Things That Scare You if you do Local SEO - Be Very Afraid! Local Search 1
Linda Buquet 7 Things I?ve Figured Out About The New Google Maps Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Nick.SEOSpark 10 Things SEOs & SMBs Should Know About New Google Places Dashboard Google My Business & Google Maps 10
Bruce Bird Merging Places and G+ Local pages - and a few other things! Help & Support for Google Local 8
Chris Ratchford Strange thing going on in SERPs with client's website Organic SEO 3
S Funny Things With Places Lately? Google My Business & Google Maps 6
Colan Nielsen InfoUsa - Odd Thing Happening Citations 13
Linda Buquet Google Launches NEW Things To Do In... Tourist Attraction Image Bar in SERPS Local Search 5
MKubot Help with Bing Clean Up Google Local 101 1
NevenaIvanova Need help with business detail update of a Chinese business Local Search 3
dateinadash This location has been suspended due to quality issues - going round in circles! Please help? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
brownaddesign Help with Bing Places - Accidently imported all our GMB listings Local Search 3
C Help me to restore my account please Contact Us Messages 1
C Help with service page optimization Organic SEO 20
B Google Beacons helping Local visability? Local Search 1
Caroline S 1 Service Area Business, 10 Listings, Several Redressals Reported, No Action From Google - Help! Help & Support for Google Local 7
N Looking for help to gain access to manage a GMB profile? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
djbaxter Tired eyes or dry eyes? Firefox has an extension to help Websites, Software, and Security 1
Greg Bernhardt Bulk verification help, locations in group, no Chain option Multi-Location Issues 1
Lanerizz Help For Pending Google My Business Listing Google My Business & Google Maps 4
J Gmb help please: 2 offices merged into 1 office Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Gerry.Foster Help With Automotive Departments displaying correctly Help & Support for Google Local 2
djbaxter Webinar Technical SEO Help Hour Oct. 28 Events 0
LocalSEODat Need help with a suspended GMB - Client had home address as place of biz, then suspended. Fixed to meet customers and got reply with no reason Service Area Businesses 6
Stef Kiley Help Hard suspension - 500+ reviews gone Help & Support for Google Local 4
MKubot Google Maps Embed on Landing Page - Helpful? Google Local 101 4
Hammer I need help with duplicate listings All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 3
J Facebook Business limiting me to 50 stores under one page - can't get any help Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 2
J Facebook Business limiting me to 50 stores under one page - can't get any help Local Search 1