More threads by Matt Chauhan

Matt Chauhan

Reaction score
Is there a tool available to help us know how many more reviews we need on our GBP to achieve a particular average rating?

Let me know your existing review count, what your current average is, and what your desired average is, and I'll do the math real quick on my end. I can't think of an effective and easy way to explain the math here, but am happy to do it for ya.

So you're looking for the Arithmetic Mean, which is essentially this:

311 reviews with a score of 4.8 or 1,493 actual points awarded to your brand out of 1,555 possible (311x5). In the below formula, X is going to be the number of reviews we need to achieve the desired 4.9 overall average ratings. Keep in mind that Google may round up once you achieve 4.85 or thereabouts, so you may not need all of these.

(1493+5x)/(311+x) > 4.9

It's unfortunate, as you have a good amount of reviews, but to get to a 4.9 flat you'd need another 311 five-star reviews, which is unlikely. You can confirm this math below by doing the following:

311 current reviews + 311 new reviews = 622 Total Reviews
311 current reviews @ 4.8 average = 1,493 points
311 new reviews @ 5.0 average = 1,555 points

Add those up and you get 3,048 total points

Divide that by your total number of reviews, being 622 and you're left with:

3048/622 = 4.9

If Google rounds up at 4.85 then you'd need 104 new 5-star reviews. Both scenarios will be very challenging to achieve naturally.

That said, there are a lot of case studies and peer observations in consumer behavior that suggest consumers prefer 4.8-4.9/5 stars vs 5/5 stars. In a world of fake reviews and fake businesses, consumers tend to trust authentic-looking options vs those that appear bought and paid for. I say wear that 4.8/5 like a badge of honor because it's better than a lot of businesses out there.

If math isn't something you enjoy, I really don't love it either, you can use this tool which I found after my problem solving to confirm my math.

So you're looking for the Arithmetic Mean, which is essentially this:

311 reviews with a score of 4.8 or 1,493 actual points awarded to your brand out of 1,555 possible (311x5). In the below formula, X is going to be the number of reviews we need to achieve the desired 4.9 overall average ratings. Keep in mind that Google may round up once you achieve 4.85 or thereabouts, so you may not need all of these.

(1493+5x)/(311+x) > 4.9

It's unfortunate, as you have a good amount of reviews, but to get to a 4.9 flat you'd need another 311 five-star reviews, which is unlikely. You can confirm this math below by doing the following:

311 current reviews + 311 new reviews = 622 Total Reviews
311 current reviews @ 4.8 average = 1,493 points
311 new reviews @ 5.0 average = 1,555 points

Add those up and you get 3,048 total points

Divide that by your total number of reviews, being 622 and you're left with:

3048/622 = 4.9

If Google rounds up at 4.85 then you'd need 104 new 5-star reviews. Both scenarios will be very challenging to achieve naturally.

That said, there are a lot of case studies and peer observations in consumer behavior that suggest consumers prefer 4.8-4.9/5 stars vs 5/5 stars. In a world of fake reviews and fake businesses, consumers tend to trust authentic-looking options vs those that appear bought and paid for. I say wear that 4.8/5 like a badge of honor because it's better than a lot of businesses out there.

If math isn't something you enjoy, I really don't love it either, you can use this tool which I found after my problem solving to confirm my math.

I love this :)

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom