More threads by sarmcl

sarmcl

Solutions
Reaction score
Welp here is a good one. New client used tracking numbers for TWELVE years on syndication. And we get the joy of trying to clean it up. Client has rep.com but as we know cleaning up information thats been out there for an eternity will be a challenge

Does anyone have any advice?

@sarmcl, though I don't know the specifics here (e.g. is it a multi-location business, did the client also relocate, etc.), here are some SOPs that may help:

1. 80/20 rule. Focus on the 20-25 sites that matter in some discernible way. No need to bother with the Brownbooks of the world.

2. Of those, prioritize the sites that show up for brand-name searches or on page 1 for the terms you're trying to rank for. Rather than the data aggregators or the smaller, less-visible sites.

3. Don't try to get all the cleanup done at once. Do a 2nd round of work a month or two after the first, and maybe a 3rd round of work a couple of months later. That's the only way you'll take care of some of the stragglers.

4. If a site requires payment just to fix the listing, skip it. (If it's a site you'd want to be listed on anyway, then sure, it might be a good use of money.)

5. If the client is somewhat OCD about the listings, make sure he or she understands that some listings require owner-verification, and that your ability to work together on those listings determines when or whether they get fixed.

6. It's more important to have a listing on a site that IS correct than to be free of duplicates So if, for instance, you're having a devil of a time claiming a listing on a certain site, I'd probably first add a new listing and then try to get the duplicate removed later. Takes a little of the pressure off.

7. Don't expect much or any rankings bump from the cleanup. It's still worth doing, generally, but not worth chewing up your whole schedule and putting off the other work you plan to do.

@sarmcl, though I don't know the specifics here (e.g. is it a multi-location business, did the client also relocate, etc.), here are some SOPs that may help:

1. 80/20 rule. Focus on the 20-25 sites that matter in some discernible way. No need to bother with the Brownbooks of the world.

2. Of those, prioritize the sites that show up for brand-name searches or on page 1 for the terms you're trying to rank for. Rather than the data aggregators or the smaller, less-visible sites.

3. Don't try to get all the cleanup done at once. Do a 2nd round of work a month or two after the first, and maybe a 3rd round of work a couple of months later. That's the only way you'll take care of some of the stragglers.

4. If a site requires payment just to fix the listing, skip it. (If it's a site you'd want to be listed on anyway, then sure, it might be a good use of money.)

5. If the client is somewhat OCD about the listings, make sure he or she understands that some listings require owner-verification, and that your ability to work together on those listings determines when or whether they get fixed.

6. It's more important to have a listing on a site that IS correct than to be free of duplicates So if, for instance, you're having a devil of a time claiming a listing on a certain site, I'd probably first add a new listing and then try to get the duplicate removed later. Takes a little of the pressure off.

7. Don't expect much or any rankings bump from the cleanup. It's still worth doing, generally, but not worth chewing up your whole schedule and putting off the other work you plan to do.
Thank you Phil! Its 80 locations. I am pretty sure this is a case of the prior agency giving client bad information and the client not knowing better. The client just thought once they simply changed numbers over all is right with the world which we know better. Its an educational thing at this point. Appreciate you taking the time to respond with great detail!

Sure thing, @sarmcl. If it's 80 locations (ouch!), the steps are basically the same, except I'd probably focus on even fewer sites (i.e. step #2). The good news is each location is probably listed on fewer sites in the first place, because of course it's harder to go overboard on citations when you've got 80 locations.

Also, I'd make sure each location's correct phone number (the one used on GMB) is also on its GMB landing page URL, and I'd make sure the homepage (or footer) has the address and phone number of each location.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom