find8

Reaction score
We currently have a client who has been running a blog for years on Wordpress. We've built them a new website, and want to transfer a lot of the good equity that has been built on that blog, as it gets a lot of traffic and user engagement. However, our CMS we are using does not handle blogs very well, and creates a lot of duplicate title tags and dupe content.

Rather than moving 10 years worth of blog articles over to this CMS, our question is, if we re-point that blog to a subdomain that lives under the primary site, will the primary domain benefit from the traffic / engagement that the blog is getting? For example, the primary site would be www.website.com, where as the blog would be blog.website.com.

find8

Reaction score
Its currently at blogname.wordpress.com but we plan to re-launch it to blog.website.com (as a subdomain of our primary)

djbaxter

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
It used to be the case that the rank value of subdomains and root domains would transfer to one another in most cases (e.g., see this 2009 article at Root Domains, Subdomains vs. Subfolders and The Microsite Debate - Moz). There was also an ongoing debate in those days about whether subdomains or subdirectories were better from an SEO standpoint; more recently, Google has made it clear that there is no advantage either way for subdomains vs. subdirectories.

To be honest, I'm not sure whether the 2009 "wisdom" still applies.

But perhaps that's not really the important question in this scenario. You say that the CMS you're using on the root domain "does not handle blogs very well, and creates a lot of duplicate title tags and dupe content". If that's the case, you're going to want to separate the blog into example.com/blog/ or blog.example.com for that reason. Whether you use a subdomain or a subdirectory these days is pretty much a matter of personal preference.

I have always preferred subdomains personally. Google seems too as well, and Microsoft, and most major organizations.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Nikki Stine GMB for Gun Shop pulls in 'FFL Transfer Fee' pricing from a Facebook Post. Is this normal? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 4
NickB-Tampa Issues with transferring GMB listings Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Scott Rawlins Primary Refuses to Transfer GMB Ownership Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Peter Hill Location closing, transfer equity to nearby locs? Multi-Location Issues 2
brettmandoes Is anyone having trouble transferring listing ownership to a new account? Google Duplicates & Merges 1
tyler.hammer Transfer Account Contact Us Messages 1
danielwallace Needing to transfer reviews from local listings to 1 service area listing Google Duplicates & Merges 1
P Can I use? Schema.org [TaxiService as Airport Transfer Service] Local Search 6
M Easiest plugin to migrate [transfer] WP site? Websites, Software, and Security 2
lancemoore22 Transferring GMB ownership (when the manager) Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Rich Owings Google temporarily unable to transfer reviews Google Duplicates & Merges 8
Chaddow Transferring between two agency dashboards when only need access to one location group Google My Business & Google Maps 1
M *HELP* What to do when current owner denies transfer request. Google My Business & Google Maps 4
L Properly Transferring Ownership of a Local Google+ Page Consultant's Corner 4
R Google 'Business Account' Blunder - Transfer Ownership, Don't Export/Import Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Gsmithmike Cleaning, transferring or updating the address of the new location? Local Search 5
Linda Buquet Multiple Managers & Transfer Ownership Added to Local Google+ Business Pages Google My Business & Google Maps 11
Local Search News Curator New Google Places For Business Accounts Can Now Be Transferred to a New Owner via G+ Google My Business & Google Maps 0
R New Dashboard - Business Description Format does not transfer G+ site Local Search 1
A Transfer Google Listing into a different account? Help & Support for Google Local 2
rich_marlatt Do the number of backlinks from a domain have any impact on local SEO? Local Search 2
A Pointing SEO friendly domain to old domain and its effect on GMB ranking? Local Search 4
djbaxter Google: Moz Spam Score, Domain Authority Does Not Impact Google Rankings Organic SEO 1
Dana Franks Rankings crash after new site - is it the domain? Organic SEO 3
hajnasiewicz Issues with multiple domain redirects to one domain? Websites, Software, and Security 4
djbaxter Google: We Still Use PageRank. We do not use Domain Authority. Organic SEO 0
H Two GMB Locations One Website = Two DNS Domains? Google My Business & Google Maps 5
U Spam / Scam .it domains and sub domains flooding Google results pages Spam on Google 6
Tim Colling Why register a domain name with your toll free number? Organic SEO 5
Conor Treacy Google showing only domain name in results (when not logged in) Local Search 2
H Biz with a product specific domain - should they have two sites? Local Search 2
djbaxter The Truth About Domain Authority Organic SEO 0
djbaxter Age of domain name or content irrelevant to Google ranking Organic SEO 4
Justin Mosebach GrubHub is buying web domains for the restaurants it lists Websites, Software, and Security 1
djbaxter Preferred Domain in Google Search Console deprecated Google News: Important Changes & Features 4
georgebizpro Google June Broad Core Update Case Study: Keyword-rich domains back on the rise? Google Algorithm Discussions 2
S How to get a DNS-verified Search Console domain to connect with Google Analytics? Organic SEO 3
georgebizpro Redirect https domain to another https website Organic SEO 11
Fairlane Problems/Delays Getting New Referring Domains/Backlinks Indexed Local Search 1
Dana Franks Parked domains generating thousands of links Spam on Google 3
Gsmithmike Sub Domain or Sub Category for Location pages? Local Search 1
N Not displaying anymore on Google Maps unless domain name (business name) Google My Business & Google Maps 3
P Really long business & domain name with articles in it, what should we do? Local Search 5
djbaxter Google: There is no SEO advantage to keyword domains Organic SEO 6
djbaxter EU to cancel UK owned .eu domains Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 0
F Multiple domains..The only logical way for multiple sab's? Service Area Businesses 5
F Multiple domains..The only logical way for multiple sab's? Service Area Businesses 5
djbaxter Google: Domain Authority is not a ranking signal Organic SEO 3
djbaxter Preparing for Brexit: UK webmasters will have to give up .eu domains Organic SEO 0
M Another Business Using Client's Domain On Twitter Mobile & Social 2