Tim Sweeney

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm interested in understanding how Google Maps chooses the address formatting for businesses along highways.

For example, see this map listing: https://goo.gl/GE22Dy Its "street address" is shown as 1364 NY-7, Afton, NY 13730. Checking other businesses along NY-7, most share this formatting except when they enter a village. For example, see this map listing https://goo.gl/7NIvGr. Ok, this business is in the "Village" of Afton. So now Google is showing the address as 42 Main St, Afton, NY 13730.

If you had to explain this difference in address formatting, what would you say? (Note, neither of these businesses are clients) For example, is it because one business is located within a defined locality that being a "village"? Or, is it that once you enter the village there are "signs" labeling NY-7 as Main St.?

Thanks

Tim

Reaction score
One of the map maker pros will need to chime in if I get anything wrong, since I'm not super clear on the map maker side... but I'm pretty sure the gist is that the road itself is labeled differently in Afton city limits in map maker, so Google's just going off the primary name for the road it has for that geographic location.

For proof, just search Main st, Afton, NY in https://www.google.com/mapmaker (it autocorrected to Avon first time, make sure you pull up the right main st in the right village). There might be another way to see the actual route information, but if you hit 'edit', it actually shows you the route. Main st. only exists in Map Maker's eyes in the village limits, outside there it's just the NY-7.

Tim Sweeney

Reaction score
I see what you mean by checking it out on Map Maker. It would be great if there as a Google help doc on this. Thanks for the help!

JoyHawkins

Administrator
Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Top Poster Of Month
Solutions
Reaction score
If you open the Interstate Battery System listing in MapMaker and then press Edit > Select Road Segments, select the road segment, hit next and then press to edit the road name, you'll see that the road name at that point is New York 7.

For Pit Stop Auto, you do the same thing and you'll see both Main Street AND New York 7 show up.

So based on the way it is currently one business has 1 option, the other has 2 (both would be correct for Pit Stop Auto so they could use either/or).

Another way to tell what road name you should use is to plot a random point exactly where the business is (press add new > Add a Place) and see what road name Google inserts automatically. Obviously don't actually save the new point since it doesn't exist.

Tim Sweeney

Reaction score
Joy

Thanks for the tips on Map Maker. Following along it makes more sense now.

Tim

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Dustybones Understanding Google and Alphabet Local Search 4
Dustybones Understanding The Google Answer Box & Knowledge Graph Local Search 0
Dustybones Understanding Google's future of Deep Learning: Whiteboard Friday Local Search 0
Dustybones Understanding the Google + Review Filter: Local Visibility System Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Dustybones Understanding the technical side of Google Panda Local Search 2
Dustybones Understanding Semantic Search, Google, and Anchor text Local Search 0
Linda Buquet Understanding Consumers' Local Search Behavior - Google Infographic Google My Business & Google Maps 3
djbaxter Disavow & Link Removal: Understanding Google Organic SEO 2
Travis Van Slooten An Awesome Resource To Understand Google's Guidelines in Plain English Organic SEO 1
S GMB/map rankings, could not understand how these got sorted out in the rankings Ranking Puzzles 1
M Understanding the GMB Google My Business & Google Maps 4
bczubiak Understanding Traffic From Blog Articles. Is it helping Locally? Local Content 11
Eric Rohrback How well do prospects understand what you do? Consultant's Corner 3
Linda Buquet 5 Ways Understanding Differences Between Map Maker & GMB Guidelines Can Help You Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Eric Rohrback Understanding Target Audience Consultant's Corner 5
1 Understanding Map markers? Google My Business & Google Maps 21
djbaxter Conversion Lift: Helping Marketers Better Understand the Impact of Facebook Ads Mobile & Social 0
Dustybones Semantic Search in 1975: Helping us understand SEO today Local Search 0
Dustybones Brightlocal Review Survey helps us understand consumers Local Reviews 2
Dustybones MATT CUTTS: Understanding the quality of a webpage that doesn't have links Local Search 2
Dustybones STUDY: Understanding headlines in blog posts that go viral Local Search 0
Dustybones A few things SMB's don't understand about SEO Local Search 0
Colan Nielsen Understanding How ATM's and the Like Fit In Google My Business & Google Maps 3
S Trying To Understand G+ and Authorship.... Google Local 101 10
M Help me understand why we can't rank in the top 3? Help & Support for Google Local 4
S Help Me Understand Why I'm not ranking Help & Support for Google Local 16
Simon James Just to check my understanding of the current state of play for multiple locations... Help & Support for Google Local 17
Jac Google My business Photos - Uploaded but not reflecting on contribution page Google My Business & Google Maps 1
AndySimpson Google My Business Opening Date - What Date Should You Use? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Lanerizz Google Analytics 4 Organic SEO 1
M Google Local Services Ads - Lack of Leads Paid Search and Local Service Ads 14
rustybrick Google Local ranking update? Google Algorithm Discussions 11
harmony How Does Google Choose Service Options in a Review? Local Reviews 6
abbiebeltran Google Reviews Now Have 'Service-Testimonial-Tags' at the Top Local Reviews 1
Tim Colling I'm getting calls from "Google Maps" at 650-206-5555, asking about clients' hours - are they legit? Google My Business & Google Maps 14
JoshuaMackens Google Posts & Ranking Local Search 10
A Listing suspended due to account manager spamming? Google advise to create new GMB Local Search 13
djbaxter Webinar Get together with Google Search at Search Central Live - February 23, 2021 Events 0
djbaxter Google Maps Removed 55M Reviews & 3M Fake Business Profiles Spam on Google 2
Professor M Google slapped in France over misleading hotel star ratings Google News: Important Changes & Features 0
D Google Spam Fighting Question Google My Business & Google Maps 6
C Fake google reviews on google my business Contact Us Messages 2
U Google showing location of Service Area Business Service Area Businesses 2
Lluc Google launches Years in Business in Search Google My Business & Google Maps 3
PaulSteinbrueck Average Google rating no longer in Google Knowledge Panel? Local Reviews 8
Professor M Is Google thinking of adding payment capabilities to GMB listings/website? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
NickB-Tampa How can I unsync Google My Business from my Bing Places listings? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
D Google "Find Results on" Error Local Search 3
F Turkish post: Google My Business local seo Recycle Bin 0
D Google Maps, Years in Business Google My Business & Google Maps 4