More threads by TriciaClements

Reaction score
To track a link with UTM to my booking page (not currently on my domain) can I first add a referring link to track in Google Analytics?

For example: Can I add a UTM to Book Tricia Clements: Your Biz Watchdog which forwards to Book Tricia Clements: Your Biz Watchdog in order to track it?

I use Pretty Links in WordPress to make shortened links for things like this and affiliate links. Would I be able to add a UTM and see data in Google Analytics?

Have you done this or something similar @Claire Carlile ?

Thanks!

To track a link with UTM to my booking page (not currently on my domain) can I first add a referring link to track in Google Analytics?

For example: Can I add a UTM to Book Tricia Clements: Your Biz Watchdog which forwards to Book Tricia Clements: Your Biz Watchdog in order to track it?

I use Pretty Links in WordPress to make shortened links for things like this and affiliate links. Would I be able to add a UTM and see data in Google Analytics?

Have you done this or something similar @Claire Carlile ?

Thanks!
Hi Tricia

I've only ever used UTM tags to add to external links to URLs that are on a domain to which I have GA access. If you don't have GA access to the final URL you won't benefit from the UTM tracking.

I haven't tried this - but maybe if you used a bit.ly link you'd be able to track clicks via bit.ly - but of course if the final URL isn't to a site to which you have GA access, you won't be able to see what those visitors do once they get on the site.

In this example (booking a 15 minute consult with you) you could link to a page on your domain, and on this page include the details of what they can expect from the call, and some other marketing led content, and then link off to your third party booking page from there? That way you link to your own domain, you can add UTMs to that link, and then you'll be able to see richer details about that traffic and what it does on your site via GA. You'd also be able to track those clicks through to the third party domain using something like this - Track External Link Clicks on Your Website.

Hope that helps,

Thanks

Claire

Last edited:

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom