More threads by JoyHawkins

JoyHawkins

Administrator
Local Search Expert
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
I'm happy to say that we're seeing corrections to some of the overkill that the Vicinity Update had on businesses that have keyword-rich business names. We were seeing patterns before that businesses with keyword-rich business names were being filtered out if there were several businesses in a market that had similar names (@Yan Gilbert discovered this). Thankfully, that seems have been reversed.

We are seeing the biggest impact on explicit keywords (keywords that include a city-name), like this one:
GoogleMaps_cash-for-junk-cars-chicago_10012021_03242022.gif

The changes are not as big for keywords that are implicit (no city-name):

GoogleMaps_cash-for-junk-cars_10012021_03242022.gif

We started seeing this earlier in the month:
1648209517800.jpg

However, the most noticeable impact was in the last 48 hours:

1648209543118.jpg

Thanks Joy

I have noticed an increase in website visits to my site in March compared to February but the extra traffic isn't as high converting. Traffic with less commercial intent perhaps.

To me this "correction" is a bad thing. It's just going to encourage businesses to continue to keyword stuff their business names.

Thanks for the update Joy. I would rather see a correction for SABs that located on the edge of town.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom