consultant

Reaction score
So here's my question. Of all the trends mentioned, my personal experience leads me to believe a significant trend is Google factoring in, let's call it, "contextual data" or metadata, about the location of the business that is not provided by the business themselves. This corresponds with latest Local SEO Moz Survey Respondents that said "virtual locations/addresses" no longer work.

This might be Google looking at things like:

(a) Is it a UPS Store or other Mailbox service (I think they started filtering these a long time ago)

(b) Is this the only business at this address or are their multiple businesses with the same address (not uncommon via suite numbers) but maybe a business with it's own address carries more weight?

(c) Does area around this address contain a high percentage of businesses addresses? In other words is this a commercial/industrial area?

(d) And finally, and most importantly, is this address also a residential address? Is it near the city center or in a suburb or rural area?

My question is regarding (d)

If the address isn't a mailbox service and has no other businesses listed at that address, but is a residential address and the business is exclusively a service area business, does that hurt you? Or conversely, if your address is in a commercial/industrial complex, does that help you?

So this question isn't about, is Google catching on to addresses at UPS Stores, it's more about are they giving extra weight to addresses that aren't a residential address? My informal analysis thus far is saying quite possibly, YES. But if your view of Google as a company is that they are very smart and FAIR people, the answer would have to be NO, *unless* they are factoring in the business type. Some business categories will have a much higher percentage of home based businesses than others. Is Google THAT smart to factor than it, in combination with the location context/metadata? I think still, that could be considered somewhat discriminatory, but isn't that what Google essentially does to improve search results, discriminate?

All other factors being equal (disctance, backlinks, domain authority, NAP consitency, you name it), does the plumber operating his business out of his house in the surburbs get less weight than the plumbing business with an address in the business district near the city center. AGAIN, all things being equal, meaning the distance the businesses are from the search user's location are equal, as are all other factors (reviews, etc), and the user just types "plumber near me"

JoyHawkins

Administrator
Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
I can't speak for all the people that contributed to the study but when I voted that it's a less effective strategy it wasn't because I thought Google was getting better at detecting them. Google is still horrible at detecting them automatically IMO. Why it's becoming less effective is because more users are actively reporting them. I know tons of agencies that spend a large chunk of time reporting spam that is competing with their clients, which includes virtual offices.

Currently the location of the searcher is the biggest ranking factor so regardless of what type of address it is, you need to be close to the searcher to rank well *generally* speaking.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
M Business Suspended for Using Virtual Address, Moving to New Real Location Moving or Name Changes 4
B SAB With Virtual Address - Advice Needed Help & Support for Google Local 4
Brittany Barkes Service Area Business with Virtual & Home Address Service Area Businesses 2
Y Removed - Virtual address setup in 5-10 cities, setup services needed Recycle Bin 0
brentnau Duplicate Virtual Address Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Travis Van Slooten How Does Google Know If You're Using a Virtual Address? Google My Business & Google Maps 5
Flash Re: Virtual Offices/Home Address & Google Plus Local Recycle Bin 0
K Virtual Offices/Home Address & Google Plus Local Help & Support for Google Local 24
djbaxter Online Conference LocalU Advanced Virtual - Wednesday April 7, 2021 Events 3
Igor GMB Virtual care link auto updates to wrong URL Google My Business & Google Maps 5
CarrieHill LocalU Advanced Virtual Nov 10, 2020 - Tickets just $99 Events 1
CarrieHill Announcing LocalU Advanced Virtual November 10th Member Special Discounts [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 0
M Virtual Shared Space Listings Suddenly Suspended Multi-Location Issues 2
Tim Colling Matterport 3D Virtual Tours in GMB listings? Google My Business & Google Maps 6
Ellen Google Virtual Tour Photographer Claims Boost to Rankings Google My Business & Google Maps 3
M GMB Virtual Care Link - Does the URL have to be on the website? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
CraigJMount Virtual Tours Delayed 1-2 Months Local Search 0
djbaxter New schema properties for virtual, postponed, and canceled events Google My Business & Google Maps 0
Conor Treacy Best Method of Reporting Virtual Offices in Maps Service Area Businesses 4
djbaxter LocalU Advanced - *Now Virtual* - June 3, 2020 Events 16
keyserholiday LocalU Google My Business Master Class [Virtual Event] - March 25, 2019 Events 44
M How to Prove My Virtual Office Meets GMB Guidelines Recycle Bin 0
R How to Prove My Virtual Office Meets GMB Guidelines Google My Business & Google Maps 10
J Virtual offices Help & Support for Google Local 4
Jo Shaer Google 360 Virtual Tours Google My Business & Google Maps 6
Greg Schueler Are Virtual Offices Allowed on Google My Business? Service Area Businesses 54
David Hunter Multiple listing using virtual locations and or offices are no longer there! Google My Business & Google Maps 4
Chaddow Removing a Google Virtual Tour /See Inside from a Business Google My Business & Google Maps 0
H Can virtual offices create Google pages Google My Business & Google Maps 2
georgebizpro Regus Virtual Offices- Do They Work? Google My Business & Google Maps 5
Durandl Virtual office or not Google My Business & Google Maps 4
O Moving From CA To NV USA should I risk citation building SAB w/ a Virtual Office? Service Area Businesses 3
onebluesummer Moving From CA To NV USA should I risk citation building SAB w/ a Virtual Office? Service Area Businesses 3
Conor Treacy Google Virtual Tour no longer linked? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Tim Colling Virtual Assistants Local SEO Tools & Software 7
S Virtual Office Question/issues Google My Business & Google Maps 3
M Reporting Virtual Office Abusers... Google My Business & Google Maps 1
M 'Virtual Office' Definition Local Search 4
Dustybones Virtual Cononical Loop can kill SEO Local Search 1
M Virtual tours vs rank Google Business View 1
M Virtual tours vs rank Google My Business & Google Maps 1
L How Google Business View 360 Virtual Tours Can Improve Your Organic Listings Google Business View 2
Linda Buquet How Google Business View 360 Virtual Tours Can Improve Your Organic Listings Google My Business & Google Maps 2
H Google Business View/Virtual Tour Local Search 6
C New virtual office Help & Support for Google Local 3
B Re: Are Virtual Offices Now Acceptable on Google??? Recycle Bin 0
E Are Virtual Offices Now Acceptable on Google??? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
J SABs with Virtual Offices Service Area Businesses 3
JoyHawkins SABs with Virtual Offices Service Area Businesses 3
Tony Wang Address on listing doesn't match the pin ?!! Google My Business & Google Maps 2