Reaction score
Want Amazing Reviews? Make a Face-to-Face Request

face-to-face.jpg

You?ve worked wonders for your customer.

Now it?s time to ask for their feedback. Which usually triggers our fears of rejection. Many of us take the easy way out.

We send out a quick email asking for a review

It?s fast, convenient and free. It also removes us from the awkward feelings that follow a rejection.

But rejection isn?t a likely outcome is it?

If you?ve wowed your customer, if they?re satisfied and happy, there?s a great chance you?ll get a positive review? especially if you change how you ask.

So how should you ask?

You make a face-to-face request

Vanessa Bohns of Cornell University and Mahdi Roganizad of Western University showed in their research that face-to-face requests are better than impersonal requests made via email.

How much better?

Face-to-face requests were 34 times more effective than emailed requests.

That?s a dramatic difference.

In their study, they asked participants to request surveys from strangers. One group via email, the other in person. Next, they asked them to predict how many strangers would do what they want.

Here?s an interesting part about their study.

Participants in the email request group believed email was just as effective as a face-to-face request. They were just as confident as participants in face-to-face group.

Why is that?

Vanessa explains: ?Participants were highly attuned to their own trustworthiness and the legitimacy of the action they were asking others to take when they sent their emails.?

Which is basically saying ?I?m trustworthy so I?ll get what I want.? Which of course is the opposite of what happened.

Strangers saw an untrustworthy email asking them to click on a sketchy link.

They didn?t do it.

Here?s the surprising part about this study.

It doesn?t matter who you ask ? family, friends, strangers, it makes no difference. As soon as you decide to go from face-to-face to email, you decrease your odds dramatically.

The odds are in your favor?

Just not as much, if your requests are delivered via impersonal channels like email or text. When these researchers replicated their results in a second study they found out why.

We?re missing much needed information.

The non-verbal cues we normally share ? our body language, gesture clusters, tone of voice, emotional health, etc. ? this information was missing. Simply put, impersonal channels like email don?t automatically include the information we needed to evaluate a request.

Okay, so face-to-face requests are more effective.

How do you use that in your organization? You approach customers directly, meeting with them face-to-face.

That wasn?t the real question though, was it?

The real question is, how do you scale this? How do you approach hundreds or thousands of customers with your request for a review? Who on earth has the time to speak to thousands of people, one-on-one?

You do.

Read the rest of Andrew's post to see what he has to say about leverage.

What's your experience been like? Do you find that a face to face ask is more effective than email or text?

face-to-face.jpg

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Awesome Garrett!

That leverage idea is soooo smart! In addition to helping you get reviews it could help to
build customer trust, cement loyalty and would really help with word of mouth referrals!
So worth implementing!

You guys need to pop over to read the rest of the post to discover the leverage ideas.
I'm not going to give it away here, but it's well worth a read!

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Garrett Sussman Senior Citizen Reviews: Getting Amazing Reviews From Low-Tech Customers Local Reviews 2
Garrett Sussman Want Amazing Reviews in a Boring Industry? Use Selfishness Local Reviews 0
Jac New Feature >> Got an email from Google >> New! Earn Local Guides points for amazing lists Google My Business & Google Maps 2
LauraWilliams Re: How to Take Amazing Photos for Your Local Business Recycle Bin 0
Garrett Sussman How to Take Amazing Photos for Your Local Business Local Reviews 6
J Examples of Amazing Local Landing Pages - List them Here! Local Content 14
JoyHawkins Examples of Amazing Local Landing Pages - List them Here! Local Content 30
L ✔ The Most Amazing Local Keyword & Content Idea Tool EVER! Local Content 14
Linda Buquet ✔ The Most Amazing Local Keyword & Content Idea Tool EVER! Local Content 14
L ✔ Amazing New Tool! 3 Ways to use Impactana for Local Search Content Local Content 12
Linda Buquet ✔ Amazing New Tool! 3 Ways to use Impactana for Local Search Content Local Content 12
Linda Buquet Journalist Creates Fake Company & Buys Amazing Rep to Out the Underbelly of ORM Local Reviews 3
Linda Buquet Amazing List of Schema, Microdata & Technical SEO Analysis Tools Local SEO Tools & Software 0
Adamk Amazing Presentation Local Search 1
Cleaner44 Merged Google+ Local pages are amazing for improving rankings! Google My Business & Google Maps 9
Linda Buquet LOCAL VideoScribing - Amazing New Local Business Idea Local Search 12
JoyHawkins Reviews Not Publishing Local Reviews 5
NevenaIvanova Removing off-topic reviews posted before the business started operation Local Reviews 8
Phil Rozek Google Maps reviews get "New" label for reviews less than 1 month old Local Reviews 5
JoyHawkins Get Custom Responses to Online Reviews Local Reviews 3
Barb Davids Review restriction for dentists in AU? Local Reviews 3
W Is it possible to remove reviews on GMB? Local Reviews 4
D Spam Fighting With Reviews Spam on Google 7
harmony How Does Google Choose Service Options in a Review? Local Reviews 6
abbiebeltran Google Reviews Now Have 'Service-Testimonial-Tags' at the Top Local Reviews 1
S Local Services Ads - Fake Reviews Local Reviews 1
djbaxter Google Maps Removed 55M Reviews & 3M Fake Business Profiles Spam on Google 4
E Review Spammer Help & Support for Google Local 2
C Fake google reviews on google my business Contact Us Messages 2
Greg Bernhardt Why some categories show review snippet and some don't? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 1
DangGood GMB showing 2 Review sections at Zero Google My Business & Google Maps 0
Oliver Keates BBC - "Man to pay £25,000 damages over negative TrustPilot review" Local Search 6
Steve Attarian Has anyone had luck removing a Review by a non customer that gave one star because she noticed that the staff didn't wear masks when she walked by? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
swmaher Competitor Buying Fake Reviews Local Reviews 1
LauraUK SAB's - can a client without a Gmail leave a SAB a review. Service Area Businesses 3
M Google rule for collecting reviews from a dedicated tablet inside a store ? Local Reviews 8
micromano Will changing a business name in GMB cause reviews to be lost? Moving or Name Changes 3
R Facebook reviews dropped to 0; Google filtering reviews temporarily? Local Reviews 2
A Diminishing Returns on Number of Reviews? Local Reviews 6
Eoghan_MFeed Great customer review we pulled in for a client Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 0
MatGee Multiple Practitioners at Medical Office, Is It Possible To Share Reviews? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
djbaxter Webinar The State of Online Reviews in 2021 - January 14th at 2pm EST Events 0
C Review attributes gone missing Local Reviews 1
abbiebeltran Disgruntled former employee leaves 9 1-star reviews and counting on GMB listing Local Reviews 5
Koray Tuğberk GÜBÜR Review Schema Mark up and Google My Business Reviews Local Search 4
Professor M No Reviews on Local Packs for Car Wash Category in Different Countries Google My Business & Google Maps 1
rickvidallon Delay in Seeing New Reviews Postings Dec 2020 Local Reviews 2
nathangdavidson Anyone noticing reviews not being added to profiles? Local Reviews 5
Antonio 4500 plus reviews suspended for a 26-year-old hotel business. Local Reviews 17
Chris Ratchford Yelp won't remove a review from a rude reviewer Local Reviews 15