More threads by Linda Buquet

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
If you or clients get an email from Google Maps - WARNING! It's likely a Phishing email and may contain a virus. (The user in the G forum said virus, but I suspect it's either just a phishing email OR very possibly once you hit the link - it could be malware?)

Colan's client got the email and so far one report in the Google forum but you know there are more, possibly lots more, so wanted to warn you guys.

A telltale sign this is not from Google - it refers to Local Business Center, a name that has not been used for years. The link goes to http://www.google.com/BusinessCenter/xxxxxxxxx. The link did not resolve for me but the user in the G forum said it goes to: horrora-smasha.ucoz DOT com

I just escalated this thread to Google as well as the full content of the email Colan's client got and Jade forwarded the info to legal.

Here is our convo at the Google forum: Google Email Virus?

Thanks Linda. It's important to pass this onto the clients so thank you for the warning. TAKE NOTE everyone - warn your clients....

Thanks Linda. It's important to pass this onto the clients so thank you for the warning. TAKE NOTE everyone - warn your clients....

I'd be interested in the text of the email. These sorts of things interest me. Always a good reminder to never click a link in an email, even if it appears to come from Google. Copy and paste and inspecting the link to make sure it resolves to the actual base domain.

Hi Andrew, it was posted in the private Pro forum but I don't see any harm in sharing it if I edit out personal info.

Greeting from Google Maps!

Every day, people search on Google Maps for businesses in specific
neighborhoods. And now that you've signed up for a Google Maps listing,
these potential customers can find you, too.

Step 1: Go to www. google.com/BusinessCenter/stringofletters

Step 2: Enter your Google Account ID and password.
Google Account ID: the owner's email address
Step 3: Click Sign in to access the Local Business Center.
Step 4: Enter your PIN beside the appropriate listing and click GO.
Your PIN: XXXXXXX

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom