Reaction score
So one of my clients went with Rogers Outrank service (think YellowPages 360) in Canada, without my knowledge. They are managing one listing, which I checked this morning to see what they were doing to "optimize" it.

For starters, brand new phone number, YAY! Mother F!! Oh and a new website, but with almost identical content as their current website. Double F!

Get's better, here is the description they added to the listing:

Screen Shot 2014-05-22 at 9.08.45 AM.png

Thanks for letting me vent :)

Screen Shot 2014-05-22 at 9.08.45 AM.png

Reaction score
Wow....I'm going to send you some beer. Don't you love when that happens. Gotta love these thirds party vendors.

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
It always amazes me how little these BIG Corporations appear to know about Google+ Local and SEO when they start dabbling in it.

I think the big guys play a game called operate at scale and don't sweat the guidelines or minor details like keyword stuffing, duplicate content and tracking numbers.

Reaction score
"economical paragraph" Love it Phil! I'm guess that paragraph is costing 3 times as much as I was charging for my service :)

Reaction score
They even named the practitioner listing the same as the primary listing. F!

Chris McCreery

Eric Rohrback

Reaction score
Do a mapmaker hack or try to edit business information? Idk man, that's a rough situation :confused: I hate when businesses get sold on crap like this. The sales reps always make it sound like they have the silver bullet for Local SEO.... BS!

Vijay Marathe

Reaction score
Yeah, sometimes they just can't keep their hand off, can they? They find it all too tempting.. brag about themselves and clicking submit or get sucked into a rep's pitch.

Yellowbook360 is still ok but do what you can and warn them against messing with the YP.com listing (their paid ad). The content on the paid YP.com ad populates other directories like Local.com and many other affiliate directories real fast and you are then left with correcting the NAP or other info on each of those directories again - especially if the data they added was incorrect - and it invariably turns out to be bad.. because this is not their cup of tea.

21Development

Reaction score
Wow. That's just... awful. The real kicker will be when they jump to #1 and your client asks you to copy their "method".

HurricaneK8

Reaction score
We've also had some "experiences" with clients doing this. A pro-tip, make sure you search the web for a mirror website.... apparently that's part of their pitch. You pay for 3 months of SEO with Rogers Outrank and get a NEW website free (you keep it when you cancel).

So they mess up the G+ and make a mirror website, which is a big duplicate content issue... :confused:

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
cleverlyengaged How to Claim Dunn & Bradstreet & Great List of Other Business Data Aggregators Local Search 11
7 Dentist with a GREAT website and GREAT local pages listing gets KILLEDby others! Help & Support for Google Local 2
Dustybones Another great list of SEO Guides for you to chew on. Local Search 2
Linda Buquet Great List of Canadian Citations Citations 0
Linda Buquet LocalBusiness Schema Greatly Expanded - See Full List Local Search 2
S What makes a great Home/Landing Page in Local? Local Search 6
Eoghan_MFeed Great customer review we pulled in for a client Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 0
Jim Froling Great Link Building Lessons by Base Academy Recycle Bin 0
raellovepie Google Messaging shows if it came from KP Quote button. Great for tracking & reply context. Google My Business & Google Maps 0
Rich Owings Great blogs that don't convert Organic SEO 2
Tim Colling LocalU Advanced in Santa Monica was GREAT today! Local Search 0
Linda Buquet Google Local Service Ads Expanding + Great insights from @mblumenthal & @davidmih Paid Search and Local Service Ads 2
Eric Rohrback Great new Local Post on the Moz Blog - Thanks Miriam! Google My Business & Google Maps 2
J Great organic rankings, but hit by Possum Local Search 8
Y Not Many Backlinks, But Great On Ranking - Huh? Organic SEO 14
JoyHawkins Great Tool for Determining Bad Backlinks Organic SEO 4
Eric Rohrback A Great Story about a Manual Penalty - How would you fix it? Marketing 6
Linda Buquet An Ultimate Guide to Local SEO? Great for New Staff Training / Orientation Local Search 5
Jim Froling Great advice from Phil Rozek Consultant's Corner 4
Dustybones Great Local SEO Is About Great Marketing: 16 Ideas To Success Local Search 1
Dustybones 5 Great Tips to Improving Your Schema Markup Local Search 1
Colan Nielsen Great Keyword Research Tip Local Search 6
mborgelt A Great Comparison of Citation Tools Local Search 3
Dustybones Great Idea To Track Competitor Content Changes Organic SEO 1
Dustybones 3 Great Local Search Ideas Using Natural SEO Local Search 1
Mark Warner Great Mobile Device Emulator Please? Mobile & Social 9
P Great Ranking in Local Results, Poor Ranking in Organic Help & Support for Google Local 7
Linda Buquet Google Launches Greatly Enhanced Business Photos - Google My Business Update Google My Business & Google Maps 19
Dustybones 31 great ideas for winning in SEO Organic SEO 0
Linda Buquet Great Google My Business and Google+ Page Manager Resource Google My Business & Google Maps 0
Linda Buquet Google Study re Local/Mobile Advertising - Tons of Great Stats! Google My Business & Google Maps 5
Michael S. Doran Let's talk about niche businesses that don't have a great category fit Google My Business & Google Maps 4
D Great guide on creating landing pages for different business models Local Content 2
Dustybones Great guide on creating landing pages for different business models Local Content 2
Linda Buquet Great Google+ Local Interview with Mike Blumenthal Clears Confusion Google My Business & Google Maps 0
Linda Buquet Why Great LOCAL SEO Is Expensive - Infographic Local Search 9
Linda Buquet Local SEO S.A.L.S.A. Recipe - Great Recipe for Success Local Search 2
Chris Ratchford Great Article- Insiders Guide To Selecting The Right Local SEO Tools Local SEO Tools & Software 7
Linda Buquet HOT Google Review Trick & Great Example of Why we Have a Review Spam Filter Local Reviews 12
Linda Buquet Google+ Local Review Q&A + Great Tips Local Search 12
L The Art of Seducing Google with Great Content Local Content 0
Local Search News Curator The Art of Seducing Google with Great Content Local Content 0
L Multiple Listing Against Guidelines? Multi-Location Issues 4
Jen Currier Would you set up an Architect client with a Hybrid/SAB GMB listing if the location was residential? Service Area Businesses 2
Colan Nielsen NEW Claim your listing on BrightLocal's Agency Directory: Get in front of relevant customers and win leads LSF News and Announcements 1
TriciaClements Realtor Listings Google My Business & Google Maps 7
jross Incomplete GMB Listing Error? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Annika Neudecker Mysteriously vanishing GMB listings Google My Business & Google Maps 5
S Old Listing Hijacked by another business Spam on Google 2
WAHamilton Main listing filtered by duplicate, after duplicate is marked as 'closed' Google Duplicates & Merges 6