Reaction score
I'm kind of in a citation obsession right now as I'm doing citation work for a couple new clients so I've been watching various webinars from some of the rockstar local SEO folks in here and reading various blogs posts, etc. and the general consensus seems to be that there are really only about 12 (give or take) "core citations" that really matter in 2019. Or put another way, if you don't build any other citations, here are the 12 you absolutely need to be sure you have. I say 12 because the stuff I'm consuming says 8, others say "a dozen or so" so I'm just going with 12. If it's only 8 even better:)

The list probably starts with Google, Bing, Facebook, Yelp, YellowPages - and then what?

Travis

P.S. I know the list could vary slightly depending on industry, but there has to be a definitive list of the "core" general citations that every business should have. That's what I'm trying to nail down.

whitespark

LocalU Faculty
Reaction score
Hey Travis,

We obsess about this too, and have designed our citation packages to be based on what we consider the most important sites:

Our Essentials+ package probably best represents the core sites that are of the most importance:
  1. Google
  2. Apple Maps
  3. Facebook
  4. Foursqaure
  5. Bing
  6. Yelp
  7. TomTom (need to get into in-car nav systems)
  8. Yellowpages
  9. InfoGroup (aggregator)
  10. Localeze (aggregator)
  11. Factual (aggregator)
  12. Dunn & Bradstreet (aggregator)

Reaction score
HERE has been a pain in butt to do manually, so we dropped it. Uber's location data is powered by Foursquare.

Darren - it's been a while. I hope all is well! Thanks for the info. Quick follow up - what about home service businesses - i.e. plumbers, electricians, etc.? They can't submit to Apple Maps directly (though you can sneak in through Yelp), but what about Tom Tom? I'm assuming that would be a no-go as well. And do the "core citations" change slightly for home service contractors? For example, maybe Manta.com would be on the list (and maybe Angie's List and Home Advisor)?

Travis

Reaction score
OpenStreetMap.org (at least partially) feeds the maps on Facebook and Instagram.

BBB.org (especially if client is a member).

Reaction score
@lancemoore22 I've found it easiest to use the "Classic" version. To do so (once you log in), click on this button in the top right-hand corner:
1571923263627.png

Reaction score
This is so brilliant! I had a bunch of these on my list but I totally forgot about car nav systems. Living the the land of old school minivans. Thank you so much for posting.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
djbaxter Core Web Vitals and the Page Experience Update Google Algorithm Discussions 7
djbaxter Passage based rankings, core web vitals, responsive search ads: A rant Google Algorithm Discussions 0
djbaxter Google December 2020 core update now fully rolled out Google News: Important Changes & Features 0
djbaxter Passage Indexing: Not A Core Update. It's Ranking, Not Indexing. Don't Optimize For It Google Algorithm Discussions 0
djbaxter Google January 2020 Core Update rolling out Google Algorithm Discussions 1
JoyHawkins Core Algorithm Update - September 24, 2019 Google Algorithm Discussions 9
georgebizpro Google June Broad Core Update Case Study: Keyword-rich domains back on the rise? Google Algorithm Discussions 2
JoyHawkins June 2019 Core Update - What Are You Seeing? Google Algorithm Discussions 10
georgebizpro March Core Quality Update - March 12, 2019 Google Algorithm Discussions 26
JoyHawkins Re: Social Media Signals and Google August 2018 Core Algo Update? Recycle Bin 0
JoyHawkins The Medic Core Algorithm Update - August 1, 2018 Google Algorithm Discussions 47
Linda Buquet Hard Core Local SEO Audit Resources for Local Search Consultants Consultant's Corner 1
shondarogers Dublin Core Meta Data for Local SEO? Local Search 9
F Google Maps Citation confusion? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
valentinb13 GMB uses residential address—but client wants to use PO Box for other citations... Citations 3
Elmer .S What is the most accurate search strings to use when doing manual citation audit? Citations 7
JohnnyM Changing Information in citations Google Local 101 1
DragonXD SEMrush and citation service in Denmark NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 4
SpectateSwamp Long Business Name & Citations Recycle Bin 0
TriciaClements Long Business Name & Citations Citations 9
JoshuaMackens Insurance Citation Sites Local Search 5
K Law Practice Buyout and Existing Citations Citations 4
sixthcitysarah What citation sites would you say are still important in 2020? Citations 10
N Should I use a GMB Website to get a citation and links? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
F Looking for Italian citations services Citations 7
Mike Yem Automotive Department Citations Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 1
C Client with multiple address across citations and web properties All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 3
Gordon.Ligon SAB vs Physical Address, and its ramifications for NAP citations Service Area Businesses 7
Monica Simpson Optimizing Name - do citations matter? All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 7
Dana Franks Changing HTTP to HTTPS in citations Citations 6
Oliver Keates Looking for new citations in 2020 for the UK Citations 4
H Quick questions about citations (newbie here) Citations 2
LocalSEODat Using UTM for GMB link to website. Does that mess w/ citation matching, rankings or anything negative effect? Google My Business & Google Maps 5
bernilocal Looking for France citations service ? Citations 8
C Cheapest Citation NAP Correction Service Citations 16
P Change of Address - Do We Update Citations? Citations 2
P Schema Markup - SameAs - Using these for citations for branches Citations 14
C Website URLs for Multiple locations in Google My Business & Local Citations Google My Business & Google Maps 2
M Fake Map Listings Auto-Created by Citation Service? Spam on Google 6
Craig McBreen Citations for service area business Citations 16
V Question: Bring something to foreign citations Help & Support for Google Local 2
K Customer wants to add a tracking number across all of his Citations NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 3
Oliver Keates New Citations Local Search 6
Travis Van Slooten Using Home Address for GMB and UPS Address for Citations?? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 10
Colan Nielsen Announcing "Social Poster" from Citation Builder Pro LSF News and Announcements 0
M Does it make sense to backlink from local citations.... Local Search 7
A Citation Value? Citations 10
Travis Van Slooten How Do You Find Niche Specific Citation Directories? Local Search 7
Gsmithmike Would You Create Location Pages, or Use Home page to create citations? Local Search 1
eshad GMB and Citations for SABs Google My Business & Google Maps 1