More threads by Mike Vannington

Reaction score
Some background first:

I started out doing computer repair, found a medical practice that was disatisfied with the person that built their website, learned about WordPress, from there learned about LSEO (on and off page) from various places online. At the time I thought I knew quite a bit, but that was more than 5 years ago, some of my knowledge is probably out of date, I may not have learned as much as I thought I did, and things are different now, which is why I'm here; to learn.

First thing I noticed here was that "Google My Business" seemed like a popular keyword, so I decided to really pay attention to it, in order to see what it is, what's different today (I never saw this phrase back in the day), etc... and even now the only thing I think I know is that it's a buzz-term to mean what used to be called "Google Maps", or "Google Places".

Is this accurate? Or have things substatively changed, that I can't discern. Do I need to actually get into the GMB interface to see these changes? If there are changes, what's different, better, etc...?

GMB is simply the back end management app for a Google Maps listing.
When you say "app", do you mean "mobile only"?

<rant> I can't imagine trying to do any kind of substantive work (LSEO, or otherwise) on a phone with it's tiny, headache-causing screen, limited field of view, "hit or miss" key inputs (where you spend more time fixing entry typos than you do actually navigating), erratic page load speeds, etc... I have a decent desktop and a big, flat screen monitor and I can see a wide range of information and options in a single glance, and when I push a button, 99% of the time I get what I'm trying to get, instead of an auto-corrected result that requires me to fat-finger a constantly-changing escape system (depending on the software, which I'm usually using for the very first time), etc... </rant>

In case I wasn't clear on how much I hate using mobile devices for anything other than pictures, or as a telephone (they can be used as phones, in case someone doesn't know this), and you need more information, please feel free to ask. I could probably continue this rant for a couple of more pages extemporaneously, without even having to try.

Point of the question was to find out if this is "mobile only", or if the desktop has equal access. Oh, and thanks for the reply.

So that's it? Google Maps is the same, but they've changed the back-end and named it "Google My Business"? Also, since you seem to know things, is Google Analytics still available for free? I used it on a Word Press site and was able to see number of visits, bounce rate, traffic flow, etc... but if I remember correctly there were rumors (at the time) that Google was going to stop offering this service to people for free.

Some background first:

I started out doing computer repair, found a medical practice that was disatisfied with the person that built their website, learned about WordPress, from there learned about LSEO (on and off page) from various places online. At the time I thought I knew quite a bit, but that was more than 5 years ago, some of my knowledge is probably out of date, I may not have learned as much as I thought I did, and things are different now, which is why I'm here; to learn.

First thing I noticed here was that "Google My Business" seemed like a popular keyword, so I decided to really pay attention to it, in order to see what it is, what's different today (I never saw this phrase back in the day), etc... and even now the only thing I think I know is that it's a buzz-term to mean what used to be called "Google Maps", or "Google Places".

Is this accurate? Or have things substatively changed, that I can't discern. Do I need to actually get into the GMB interface to see these changes? If there are changes, what's different, better, etc...?

Hi Mike,

The current correct terminology is your “Google My Business” listing. Your Google My Business (also referred to as GMB) listing can show up in many places.

Here’s an in-depth article that explains what Google Maps vs Google My Business is. It also explains what interfaces allow you to make certain changes and where your GMB listing can show up. I think it will answer many of your questions.

There is still a separate Google Maps where you can add points/places/things/etc. to a Google map and then save it.

Once saved you can link to it or embed it on your site.

This can be useful if you want a map for somewhere that isn't eligible for a Google My Business Listing.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom