More threads by Vicky Trainor

Vicky Trainor

Reaction score
My client has an online shop selling pet supplies. She also attends local markets and is keen to promote local sales.

The most relevant category for her website is "Pet Supplies Store" but this doesn't come up as one of the available categories.

I thought it might be because she had not assigned a physical address, but if I search for that category under any GMB which does have a physical address this still does not come up.
Would be really grateful for any advice! Considering "market operator" as a sub category but currently "pet shop" is just not right! She doesn't sell animals!

Curious to understand why "pet shop" is a category we can select yet "pet supply store" isn't.
All her competitors have "pet supply store" yet they do all seem to have a physical address.

Thanks in advance!

My client has an online shop selling pet supplies. She also attends local markets and is keen to promote local sales.
The most relevant category for her website is "Pet Supplies Store" but this doesn't come up as one of the available categories.
I thought it might be because she had not assigned a physical address, but if I search for that category under any GMB which does have a physical address this still does not come up.
Would be really grateful for any advice! Considering "market operator" as a sub category but currently "pet shop" is just not right! She doesn't sell animals!
Curious to understand why "pet shop" is a category we can select yet "pet supply store" isn't.
All her competitors have "pet supply store" yet they do all seem to have a physical address.

Thanks in advance!

Change your language settings after you login and the category names change.

Interesting, @Vicky Trainor. The one Oz GMB page I've got in my account does not have "Pet supply store" as an option, and that is a service-area business with the address specified. My guess is that Google has retired that category in Australia.

Do you have access to other Australia GMB pages, for at least one bricks-and-mortar business? If so, what I'd suggest is logging into that GMB page and seeing if "Pet supply store" is still on the list. If not, it's not an issue with your client, but rather with Google's having phased out that category. (When Google retires a category, it sticks around for businesses already using it.)

Thanks Phil,
I already checked that and the category "pet supply store" doesn't come up even for a bricks & mortar business. Do you think it's worth trying to contact Google...it seems like it could be a mistake?
I could understand it if restricted to a physical address non SAB business....but the closest category beyond this is "pet shop" and it's a very different type of business and it means we are not competing on a level playing field so to speak.
Interesting indeed! Appreciate your input.

Sure thing, @Vicky Trainor. It's likely @JoyHawkins has a definitive answer as to whether that particular category is still available in Australia, but I'd hazard a guess that it's been retired. (Again, the Australian GMB page I looked at had its address specified and did not have "Pet supply store" available.) Categories come and go. When they go, often there's no good substitute.

In Australia (UK and Ireland for that matter), the "Pet Supply Store" category is " Pet Care Store", you can check in PlePer:

1614676308616.png

hope it helps

Thanks Phil,
I already checked that and the category "pet supply store" doesn't come up even for a bricks & mortar business. Do you think it's worth trying to contact Google...it seems like it could be a mistake?
I could understand it if restricted to a physical address non SAB business....but the closest category beyond this is "pet shop" and it's a very different type of business and it means we are not competing on a level playing field so to speak.
Interesting indeed! Appreciate your input.
Did you change you language settings?
Login to your panel, add ?hl=en-us to the end of the Url (or replace ?hl=en if it is there), then refresh the page.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom