Colan Nielsen

Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
It looks as though the "poke" may be obsolete as the new Google Places Dash replaces the old one.

For anyone who isn't familiar with a "poke", check out this post - http://localsearchforum.catalystema...69-google-local-pokes-how-when-poke-your.html

This occurred to me today as I was editing a client's listing in the new dashboard. It appears now that there is no way to do a "poke" AKA null edit. As far as I can tell, you need to make an actual edit to the listing.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Is the "poke" a thing of the past?

Or will the "poke" just need to find a new way?

Cleaner44

Reaction score
I have noticed the new dashboard updates very quickly and have had an address update on the outside listing within 1 hour. :) The poke may not be needed anymore which would be great!

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Thanks for the bump Colan! :p I did briefly see it one day but could not reply from the hospital.

Not sure about the answer and I don't even know if my test account still works or have time to go in to see. (Think the test account they gave me was only supposed to work for 2 weeks.)

HOWEVER the good news is that I believe 2 of the good changes that are coming along with the new dash minimize the need for POKEs to begin with.

1) I believe something is changing in terms of the amount of trust Google has in the dashboard data. One of the reasons we needed a POKE was to signal Google that "Hey we got a live pro-actively managed listing here. An edit was made, so put more emphasis on the data in this dashboard." If Google holds the data in YOUR dash as a little more trusted and gives it more priority, it should help solve some problems that previously a poke would have helped.

2) NO MORE DUAL CLAIMED LISTING PROBLEMS - One of the biggest reasons we needed POKEs was to overcome problems stemming from hidden merged dupes or dual claimed listings to tell Google "Hey listen to this dashboard, not the other one the previous SEO claimed."

But still pokes were helpful for other problems too. Maybe some creative genius here will come up with a new way to poke the data.

OR maybe things will improve so much we won't need pokes any more. :rolleyes: One can hope, right? :)

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
C Return of the "Poke"? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 3
Colan Nielsen Return of the "Poke"? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 3
ARKlady ARKtechCo Poking Head Out of the Cyber-Jungle *Waving Enthusiastically* Introduce Yourself - We're Friendly 4
Andrew Forster Google+ Local - Adster pokes fun at Google :P Local Search 10
Linda Buquet Google+ Local POKES - How and When to Poke your Listing Google My Business & Google Maps 9
JoyHawkins Google Plus is Dying - What Now? Google News: Important Changes & Features 9
JoyHawkins Local SEO Myths That Won't Die Local Search 4
Linda Buquet RIP Yahoo Maps - To Die End of June Local Search 5
S Old Listing Hijacked by another business Spam on Google 2
K GMB Adding Old Business Name & Putting True Name in Parathesis Only In English Browser Google My Business & Google Maps 1
jpayne7 Business Moved Before GMB Verification (Postcard is Being Sent to Old Location) Moving or Name Changes 7
M Google changes client's 5 year old, verified GMB to a duplicate listing Google Duplicates & Merges 7
A Pointing SEO friendly domain to old domain and its effect on GMB ranking? Local Search 4
Antonio 4500 plus reviews suspended for a 26-year-old hotel business. Local Reviews 17
DanielTexasLira Business acquires another business. Should I rename the old GMB listing or label it as "Permanently Closed"? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
valentinb13 Current business GMB not showing up—Old Business is Google Duplicates & Merges 8
Ben Walsh GMB business name keeps getting reverted back to old name after branding change Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 4
eshad Google has merged accounts but is showing an old listing Google Duplicates & Merges 1
K Competitor Republishing Old Reviews as New? Google My Business & Google Maps 7
L 2 year old website with no links, no content dominating local pack?? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
FriarTuck00 Moving, but Might Reopen Old Location Later - What to Do? Moving or Name Changes 1
j_holtslander Couple of 12 hour old reviewer accounts astroturfing client. Spam on Google 6
U What happened to my old profile and posts from productforums? Google News: Important Changes & Features 0
T Old Marketing Company Switches Us To Site Managers Google My Business & Google Maps 2
rutkap Facebook - Removing Old Unmanaged Listings Local Search 1
M 6 year old GMB listing suspended! Recycle Bin 0
T 6 year old GMB listing suspended! Google My Business & Google Maps 15
SmallBizGeek Google forums moving to new platform - save your old content Google News: Important Changes & Features 3
B Google Glitch Showing Old Review As Newest Local Reviews 4
Cordell Crowley Removing an old business from Yellowpages? Citations 3
Aly Kurtz Two Business Listings (1 old, 1 new) For Same Business Moving or Name Changes 5
officialryguy1 Old hotel photos NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 3
djbaxter Google Public DNS turns 8.8.8.8 years old Websites, Software, and Security 1
djbaxter Business still shows in two locations, one old and closed Google My Business & Google Maps 24
djbaxter Google AdSense payment notification but more than two years old Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 0
J Old thread got bumped Recycle Bin 1
Creativedge 20-year-old Business disappeared from "More Places" Help & Support for Google Local 9
Tony Wang Forwarding old domain with some spammy links Local Search 10
R Company moved, still visible at old address Moving or Name Changes 5
Robin Company moved, still visible at old address Moving or Name Changes 5
MichaelW Duplicate listing, 2nd office, old address citations, Any Help? Help & Support for Google Local 11
JoyHawkins Redoing Old Blog Posts Organic SEO 10
J Conflicted old location marker in Google Maps Google My Business & Google Maps 3
MichaelW NAP - old address Citations 3
Scott Rawlins Ranking Old Urls After 6 Months Organic SEO 4
Linda Buquet OLD Away from Forum: May - Dec 2015 Mod Squad 443
Linda Buquet OLD - AWAY from Forum - Moved to Mod Squad 5/9/15 Mod Squad 210
Z Black Friday - Old Authority domains promotion Recycle Bin 0
7 Old phone number keeps reappearing and I cant delete it Local Search 1
Greg Schueler I Still Have the Google Places (old) Dashboard!?!? Google My Business & Google Maps 2