More threads by CraigJMount

Yelp always ages out older reviews, reviews from inactive reviewers, etc. They also filter reviews based on reviewer behavior, etc. They are also continuously applying new algorithms. This goes on all the time. And it is clearly spelled out in their terms and conditions. They just revamped their filters to reflect whatever internal studies they've done based on user behavior.

BrightLocal recently did some great research on reviews, and found that most consumers really only look at the past few months of reviews as valid, and read an average of 11 reviews. And in fact, a 4.5 review score is seen as possibly more valid than a 5.0 review score. If Yelp did a similar study, they may have concluded that their users prefer fresher reviews and don't consider older reviews. But it has nothing to do with "not liking" 5 star reviews for businesses.

Honestly, your Yelp page rocks - I got a new roof two years ago and would have loved finding someone with your reviews in Austin. You seem to be doing a great job with photos and responses to reviews. 97 reviews vs 323 reviews has zero meaning to a typical consumer.

You seem to be ranking #1 organically on Yelp for Fairfax, which is also very good.

If you want to stop advertising because you aren't getting enough business leads via Yelp, that's one thing. Advertising has zero effect on organic placement, review filtering, etc. I've made the same recommendation to others based on their 60-day lead analytics. But I would still nurture those reviews and responses on all the review platforms.

If you want to stop advertising because you aren't getting enough business leads via Yelp, that's one thing. Advertising has zero effect on organic placement, review filtering, etc. I've made the same recommendation to others based on their 60-day lead analytics. But I would still nurture those reviews and responses on all the review platforms.

What a great, measured response! Well said, @pbarnhart !

Hi Tim,
I'm still getting a lot of calls from Yelp and it's too soon in the season to know if it's effecting the incoming leads. Business wise I know I should stay but my pride and principle has really been hurt and it's making it extremely hard for me to stay. If Yelp can't accept all my reviews being 5 star rated then that gives me more reason to leave. To have 105 (5) star reviews removed in less then 2 months as if they were bogus or made up is unforgivable!! All my reviews are very long because of my customers appreciation for a job well done with no headaches.

I have standards that I live by and I will always do my best to give everyone 5 star service from the first moment we meet until the job is completed.

Best Wishes,
Ken

Tim,
You don't have to reply because I know how busy you are answering questions from other Yelp clients. Time will tell on what decision I make with Yelp.

You don't have to reply because I know how busy you are answering questions from other Yelp clients.
I'm a little confused by that, but if I can help you in some way, I certainly will!

I heard a few rumors about wonderful reviews mysteriously disappearing just as soon as you declined the premium monthly payments.

I'm not going to bash on Yelp, but yes the temptation is out there.

After all, Yelp is solely based on reviews. If people aren't reviewing, then the businesses will stop paying for the premium upgrades. Angie's List is a comparable business example... You paid a subscription to enter to find other paid subscribers who recommend niche businesses. (Gee, what could go wrong?)

The whole Business Review website concept is a Double edged sword. How do you keep an audience happy that they will feel motivated to leave daily/weekly reviews on every place they visit?

Consumers have a short attention span.
No consumers. No advertising.
No advertising? No website
Just ask Dex. He knows :)

I wish them well.

Last edited:
We have a total of 323 (5) star reviews on Yelp (including filtered reviews) and in less then 60 days Yelp removed 105 five star reviews. We had 203 reviews that were showing on Oct 30 and on Christmas day 2018 we're down to 97 reviews.

Since Christmas Day the reviews stopped getting removed, but the damage had been done and we will soon be leaving Yelp after 4.5 years. Yelp can longer be trusted because this BS will only happen again so why bother staying!!

According to what I’ve read on the Internet Yelp no longer likes companies with all 5 star reviews and this is the biggest reason from what I can tell after doing much research. It looks like Yelp wants their listed companies to also have negative reviews so it looks more realistic. Yelps should look at my other reviews on the Internet because we have an additional 2700 more reviews that are also all 5 star rated.

What Yelp has done is wrong and immoral and should sued!! I feel sorry for everyone who’s had their well earned 5 star reviews removed because I know exactly what you’re going through and how you feel!

Anyone who has any questions please call me anytime.

Ken (Roof.net)

Man, that super sucks. Sorry to hear that.

This also hurts Yelp with their user base. Why leave a review if it's just going to get wiped out?

Hey guys,

Yelp updated its "recommendation software" around November 8th. The result was a massive wipe of thousands of reviews.

What's interesting to me is that there seems to be a lot of collateral damage, even legitimate stagnate Yelp Elites are seeing reviews deleted in favor of consistency.

Does anyone have any examples of massive review losses from Yelp?

The Yelp Purge of 2018 - Yelp's New Algorithm Filters More Reviews - telapost

My story is similar to the others , had 48 reviews over 7 years, went down to 15 in a month so
when the Yelp purge happened my way. I have also been a Yelp advertiser for years with thousands of dollars spent, not the best way to treat your bread and butter...

My story is similar to the others , had 48 reviews over 7 years, went down to 15 in a month so
when the Yelp purge happened my way. I have also been a Yelp advertiser for years with thousands of dollars spent, not the best way to treat your bread and butter...

Did you end up cancelling with them?

Did you end up cancelling with them?

Regrettably I’m still with Yelp. I’m spending a fortune on SEO work that has nothing to do with Yelp so that in the near future I can tell Yelp to kiss my ass! I’ve noticed my traffic on YELP has gone down 50%, not just because of over 110 (5) star reviews being removed, but also they have 10 sponsored links above my #1 position which recently went into effect a month ago.

I’m counting the days that YELP gets put out a business and It doesn’t matter if I lose calls because of it, it’s strictly a matter of principle. Anyone who has had as many 5 star reviews removed in 60 days would perfectly understand!

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom