More threads by iFuse

iFuse

Reaction score
Has anyone tried this yet from Yext? I know that they have been working on this initiative for a while, planning on taking a look at it today, I will let you know what I find out.

Here is the email:

Hi Chris,
Today we?re excited to announce Duplicate Suppression, a revolutionary new PowerListings? feature that lets you easily suppress duplicate local business listings on 45 leading local search apps. For the first time ever, you can instantly see automatically suggested duplicate listings and instruct a publisher directly to redirect or suppress it.
As a professional marketer you know how big a problem duplicate records of businesses are for the ecosystem - and how much time and money they are costing you and your clients. This scalable, effective solution will save you countless hours and resources and solve the huge problem at the publisher level. As a Yext Partner, you are among the first professional marketers to receive this new capability.
Once activated, this powerful new feature will appear right in your Yext account. To see how Duplicate Suppression works, contact your representative, or partnersupport@yext.com to set up a demo today.
Onward!
The Yext Team

I would definitely be interested to hear what you find out and how it turns out. Thanks for sharing.

Yeah, I will let you know - I have an email into my account manager already. I was just about ready to stop my services with Yext, but if this is a good solution it may help me justify the $42 per month, per account that I spend with them.

OK, I just did a join.me meeting with my account manager on this. It is fairly straightforward in terms of how you actually suppress the listing.

Basically you just go to each site listing that Yext has for you in your dashboard, the system automatically looks for dupes and with a click of a button you can submit it for deletion. If the system does not find the dupe, then you can submit the URL of the known dupe and it will be sent to their folks for deletion. He says that it takes about 24-72 hours for the deletion of the dupe to happen, with the exception of Yahoo which could take up to a week. Your dashboard will show you the real-time status of your deletion request.

One question that I had and a possible draw back is what if the dupe is already claimed? This isn't that big of an issue if it is claimed by the business owner (sometimes) but can be a big issue if it is controlled by a IYP like SuperPages, Dex, etc. He did say that they are blocked from already claimed listings, but he wanted to double check that and will get back to me on the issue.

This I thought was interesting, part of the Powerlistings Uber package (that is the name of the new suppression package) is a service that actually sends the updated listings data back to the aggregators (info group, axiom). So that basically they are fed from Yext updated listing information, which could prevent more dupes from being published in the future. So let's say a directory site buys a new data package from one of these aggregators, hypothetically the list they buy will have been updated (from Yext) to remove previous dupes and the directory will then publish the updated, correct data instead of adding the dupes back in.

Now, the cost stuff. They have restructured their pricing packages but made it clear that they will work with previous partners to not disrupt our pricing model too much. You now are buying licenses instead of per customer packages. They do ask that you pay for your licenses upfront for a year, but if a client leaves you, you can use that license for a different customer. They will give you the option to pay quarterly if you buy a minimum of $5k worth of licenses. He told me that the new packages on average are about 25% higher priced than the normal power listings package.

PowerListings Uber:

1 license - $565 (each)
5 licenses - $500
10 licenses - $440
20 licenses - $410
50 licenses - $375

There is also an annual partner fee of $299.

I think I may try it out and see how it works for a couple of my nightmare citation clients, if it is as easy as promised it may be worth it.

What do you guys think?

Thanks for sharing. I still would be interested how well it works after you try it out.

Thanks for the update. Please let us know how it works. I'm very curious.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Very curious on how well it actually works. Are you sure the rep said these dupes get deleted? The term suppression (as in the name of the feature), does not insinuate that the dupe will be deleted.

If I suppress something stinky by putting something nice and shiny on top, I still have something stinky lurking below. Now Google, she has a very sensitive sense of smell. Wouldn't want her to catch a whiff.

Very curious on how well it actually works. Are you sure the rep said these dupes get deleted? The term suppression (as in the name of the feature), does not insinuate that the dupe will be deleted.

If I suppress something stinky by putting something nice and shiny on top, I still have something stinky lurking below. Now Google, she has a very sensitive sense of smell. Wouldn't want her to catch a whiff.

Yeah, I hear ya. However, Yext has had pretty close relationships for a while with these directories and are very good at getting listings to appear fast, so I am hoping that they are just as good at getting rid of them, fast.

I believe the term suppress can also mean "to do away with or as by authority: abolish; stop". I am being optimistic but I do think that Yext probably has a better chance of solving this problem than others in the space.

Will let you know more as I start using the tool.

Andrew did a detailed post about it and usually has the inside scoop.

LOGO-yext.jpg

<a href="http://www.localseoguide.com/yext-duplicate-listings-suppression-launches/">Yext Duplicate Listings Suppression Launches - Local SEO Guide</a>

Did you guys see the game???

<a href="http://www.yext.com/whack-a-dupe/#.U6g1Shbdv8s">Whack-a-Dupe!</a>

Sounds like my kinda game. Ya'll know how much I love dupes. :p

LOGO-yext.jpg

Are the dupes permanently deleted or just suppressed as long as you are using Yext? Meaning, do they come back the moment you cancel your Yext subscription?

---------- Post Merged at 09:48 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:46 AM ----------

Ah, just read the article from Andrew Shotland and got my answer: "If you cancel your Yext subscription, you unlock the dupe suppression and it is likely that over time the dupes will reappear"

Yext just emailed me to set up a meeting about some things and they are watching this thread. So if you have questions or concerns let us know here and if time I can bring up on our call.

From what I have heard it is almost magical when you see those dupes go away.

Are the dupes permanently deleted or just suppressed as long as you are using Yext? Meaning, do they come back the moment you cancel your Yext subscription?

---------- Post Merged at 09:48 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:46 AM ----------

Ah, just read the article from Andrew Shotland and got my answer: "If you cancel your Yext subscription, you unlock the dupe suppression and it is likely that over time the dupes will reappear"

According to my Yext manager the dupes are deleted, but if you cancel the suppression service stops and new dupes created (in the future, if any) will not be suppressed. So from my understanding, it's not that they will show up again automatically if you cancel, you just won't be able to suppress any new dupes that may pop up.

Re: Email From Yext - Duplicate Listing Suppression Service - Yext Response

According to my Yext manager the dupes are deleted, but if you cancel the suppression service stops and new dupes created (in the future, if any) will not be suppressed. So from my understanding, it's not that they will show up again automatically if you cancel, you just won't be able to suppress any new dupes that may pop up.

Greetings, everyone. My name is Christian Ward and I am responsible for the Partnership program at Yext. I appreciate the discussion on the new Duplicate Suppression features available to our partners for their clients and wanted to just quickly respond to some of the comments (like the one above) about duplicates coming back or returning.

The local data ecosystem, as everyone here knows very well, is a relative mess of different data sources and crawlers that consistently add new duplicates and errant data points into the databases at publishers and data aggregators. Few things are more frustrating, and we work with our partners everyday to try and solve some of these major issues facing their clients.

There are often questions about what Yext does or doesn't do in terms of the data when it is in use or when it is cancelled and I wanted to just provide some clarity. When Yext works with publishers, we do give them the ability to learn and even use some of the information we provide them (like Name, Address, and Phone) and we also give them the information on our redirects for duplicates. However, when Yext is disconnected from the publisher, meaning Yext is cancelled, our ability to control the behavior of the listings at each publisher also ceases. From that point on, whatever data or behavior the publisher normally utilizes will "kick back into gear" and change or alter the business listing information.

What this means is that unless the publisher chooses to use the data to update their own data architecture with the information and redirects they receive from us, the duplicates will immediately return or will return over time (once the next errant data source is ingested). This is a publisher by publisher and aggregator by aggregator decision on their parts.

Please note, duplicates are almost never deleted, whether at a publisher or an aggregator. This is because a true deletion from the database would mean that the very next time the source of data that created the duplicate is re-ingested, the duplicate would return and be re-created! Each duplicate should be stored and suppressed (and, hopefully, redirected) so that you aren't stuck squashing the same one over and over again. In fact, this is the behavior that our new tool provides our partners.

While it can be difficult to explain the process at each publisher or aggregator here, I invite anyone with questions on the behavior to contact me directly at Christian@yext.com. I am happy to walk through each situation and explain exactly what works and how it works. We also can provide a list of expected duplicate suppression behavior at the 45 different duplicate suppression enabled sites and publishers so that you will know what to expect at each (301 Redirect, 404, etc.).

This is such an important topic to our industry and I appreciate the constructive discussion on the topic.

Thank you!

Yes, thanks for coming to clarify Christian. I know there is a lot of interest AND confusion when it comes to things like this, so we always appreciate hearing the straight scoop direct from the source.

Thanks Christian!

This would then beg the question, can Google still see the "suppressed" listings?

If so, then this service wouldn't help much with rankings only with providing the consumer with better data.

Thoughts?

Thanks Christian!

This would then beg the question, can Google still see the "suppressed" listings?

If so, then this service wouldn't help much with rankings only with providing the consumer with better data.

Thoughts?

Anybody have any thoughts on this, is there anyway to know if Google can see these "suppressed" listings or not?

Thanks!

Here is what my Account Manager says about this subject, when I asked him if Google can still see suppressed listings:

"There is much more SEO value in suppressing the listing as opposed to deleting them. But to answer your question, with most of the suppressions we are doing a redirect to the one good, correct listing, which leaves the listings in high regard when google crawls them."

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom