HurricaneK8

Reaction score
I would like to get a few opinions on a sticky situation!

We have a client who is a home inspector, and despite our best efforts we have not been able to get him very good placement in Google. We've tried all the on-page cookies that Google loves to munch on, and now we're moving to the off-site. Here is where the problem is:

The home inspector himself has his own company "ABC Home Inspection Services" and is part of a very well known franchise. We had been using the franchise name in the on page & the little off-page work we've done, because the whole point of joining the franchise was to capitalise on the wellknown name & branding they have built. Because the franchisee had been running his business as its own entity for over 10 years before joining, there are citations built to "ABC Home Inspection Services" with reviews that have been there for a very long time. When they joined the franchise, their own network built some citations to their website with their own franchise name... so now we have a mess. Theres GMB pages for both, 1 thats verified (the franchise name) and 1 that's bot-created because of the citations.

To add to the complications, the website that the client has is a page on the franchises website. So now we have the branding vs. not confusing Google battle...

My gut says to stick to the "ABC Home Inspection Services" name, and change references where we can... I'd like other peoples opinions before we attack this one though :) Thanks!!!

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
"We've tried all the on-page cookies that Google loves to munch on"

Cute Kate! :p

Which page ranks higher?

Which name has more reviews and citations?

HurricaneK8

Reaction score
"ABC Home Inspection Services" ranks higher for "Home Inspector + Zipcode" (even though its unverified) & has a review. The other one doesn't have any reviews, but is verified.

"ABC Home Inspection Services" has less citations, but more high-quality, trusted citations sources
Franchise Name has more citations, but we have the login for most of them and can change them with little trouble...

I don't know if that makes the decision any easier... Another thought would be to combine the names and have "ABC Home Inspection Services dba Franchise Name" but that may just complicate things even more by having a third name to confuse Google...

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Which ranks higher for "Home Inspector + City"?

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
H 2 "Official" Names: Which one is MORE official? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 4
Dan Foland Google Officially Announces 'Local Service Businesses' Improvements Service Area Businesses 6
James Watt New Official Google Help Forum Google My Business & Google Maps 6
djbaxter The (Final Official) End of Google Toolbar PageRank Organic SEO 3
Linda Buquet Finally: Official Google Statement on ALL the Google Local Changes after G+ Update Google My Business & Google Maps 19
Linda Buquet Google Official - Reviews Will Not Come Back on G+ Local Pages Google My Business & Google Maps 30
Linda Buquet Official Launch: Google Home Service Ads - Some Observations Paid Search and Local Service Ads 14
Dustybones DUPE: Google Map Maker Edits Officially Open In Six Countries Recycle Bin 1
Linda Buquet Local Meets Mobile: Official Google Hangout Today Mobile & Social 0
Dustybones Google's Location Aware Search is Now Live... Officially. Google My Business & Google Maps 6
Dustybones Official Google Mobile SEO Guides Mobile & Social 4
Lloyd Silver Messy Situation: NAP inconsistencies and a suboptimal forced official website Help & Support for Google Local 2
Linda Buquet Google My Business: Official Google HOA + GMB TV Commercials Start Sunday in AU Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Linda Buquet Google Local Carousel - OFFICIALLY Launched! Google My Business & Google Maps 36
Linda Buquet It's Official: Google Buys Waze for a Billion to Enhance Google Maps Google My Business & Google Maps 4
Linda Buquet List of Official Google+ City Pages Google My Business & Google Maps 7
localbiznets G'day from Melbourne, AU ? World's Most Liveable City (official) Introduce Yourself - We're Friendly 2
Linda Buquet New Local Search Forum - OFFICIAL LAUNCH TODAY! Local Search 20
P Can you confirm if @alias (short name on GMB) causes drops on the list? Google My Business & Google Maps 0
hannahmoen "Work" Replacing Business Name on GMB for Business Owner Help & Support for Google Local 3
BekahBerry Multiple service providers with separate books of business, sharing one office, under one company name - What is the best approach to avoid filtering? Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 8
B Rebranding: same services, same team, same address, new name, new URL Moving or Name Changes 9
Matt Chauhan Knowledge Panel Not Appearing for Brand Name Search Google My Business & Google Maps 5
K GMB Adding Old Business Name & Putting True Name in Parathesis Only In English Browser Google My Business & Google Maps 1
J Wrong GMB Listing Appearing when Searching for Physician by Name Google My Business & Google Maps 4
micromano Will changing a business name in GMB cause reviews to be lost? Moving or Name Changes 3
Ryan Steinolfson How do you get the business name to show up next to the map pin? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
G Registering a DBA name as a Search Term Spam on Google 5
Geeman What to do about a GMB that continuously adds the location to their name? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
S Clients Business name now has an "A" in front of all it's YEXT site listings Citations 1
liorenda Icons in GMB name Google My Business & Google Maps 5
NevenaIvanova Bus Stop Names Update NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 2
D Is adding emojis to business name gets penalty from GMB? Local Search 1
SpectateSwamp Long Business Name & Citations Recycle Bin 0
TriciaClements Long Business Name & Citations Citations 9
ashikjibon Can I create another GMB page by using the same Business name? (Different Location) Multi-Location Issues 4
S Mentioning Employees Name Local Reviews 2
Ben Walsh Branding name change for local attorney ( legalities) Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 1
J Change Name Request Contact Us Messages 0
coachmarino Keywords in Name NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 5
coachmarino DUP Keywords in Name Recycle Bin 0
nathangdavidson Need to change the building name for a client Google My Business & Google Maps 2
E Re-naming Facebook Location Pages for a Multi-Location Brand Citations 11
Y My rival manipulates google autocomplete and now whenever I write keywords on google his name appears Local Search 14
Creativedge Is the Facebook page name important for local search? Local Search 1
Frank Jones Wrong Google Listing Showing For Brand Name Multi-Location Issues 2
Monica Simpson Optimizing Name - do citations matter? All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 7
Ben Walsh GMB business name keeps getting reverted back to old name after branding change Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 4
lincolnchan Ideas for outranking competitor with same business name Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 8
H Ranks better for (city name) than for near me . . .which means....? Organic SEO 3