nicoco

Reaction score
Hi everyone

Currently working with a client who has a website that includes 54 city pages. He's obviously trying to rank for all of them but
A) There are all based on the same template and the copy being used is the same on each page apart from the name of the location
b) A big chunk of them are getting zero traffic because they obviously don't rank

As part of the strategy I was going to advice my client to

A) create unique, relevant and in depth content for the key city pages he is trying to rank for (around 5 max)
B) 301 Redirect all other city pages to the main domain/ service area page

Is that a sensible strategy?

Many thanks for your help

nicoco

Reaction score
A. Yes

B. If they aren't getting traffic or don't have backlinks, there is no reason to redirect them.
Thanks Rich but what is the point of keeping the pages if they get no traffic and don't even rank?

CarrieHill

Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
Hi everyone

Currently working with a client who has a website that includes 54 city pages. He's obviously trying to rank for all of them but
A) There are all based on the same template and the copy being used is the same on each page apart from the name of the location
b) A big chunk of them are getting zero traffic because they obviously don't rank

A) create unique, relevant and in depth content for the key city pages he is trying to rank for (around 5 max)

Hi There,

We see this type of content A LOT - and its largely ineffective. While Google has said duplicate content doesn't cause a penalty - it doesn't "help" either.

I've removed 50+ pages of this type of stuff - redirected to a single page - and saw a lift in traffic - so your tactic will make a difference to the client for sure!

You're on the right track!

Carrie

nicoco

Reaction score
Hi There,

We see this type of content A LOT - and its largely ineffective. While Google has said duplicate content doesn't cause a penalty - it doesn't "help" either.

I've removed 50+ pages of this type of stuff - redirected to a single page - and saw a lift in traffic - so your tactic will make a difference to the client for sure!

You're on the right track!

Carrie
Many Thanks for your reply Carrie. I thought the redirection was the best course of action

AidanSEO

Reaction score
Hi everyone

Yes, unique content is important to have them rank. It's an investment, but worth it!

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
R Local City Service Pages Local Search 2
A “Cities served” page Local Search 3
djbaxter Google: City Landing Pages Can Be Doorway Pages & Against Guidelines Local Search 11
dave101 Local City Page Examples Local Search 4
A Linking to city based landing pages Local Search 2
M Are these doorway pages? multiple city and state pages? Local Search 11
Ryan Steinolfson How many city pages can a website have? Local Search 7
Toy2004 Creating City Pages Local Search 10
L Duplicate Content Issues on City Landing Pages Local Search 10
P Creating local city pages near to my branches advice Local Search 4
S SEO - New Cities - Build on existing page or new URL Organic SEO 9
G Why do some city/services pages rank organically and others do not? Local Search 17
N Page Hated Within 100-Mile Radius Of City, Loved Outside It Local Search 10
C Question/Problem - Trying to rank one landing page in multiple cities Local Search 10
Dana Franks Home page ranking higher than landing pages for cities Local Search 4
RuggedSEO 1 website & 1 GMB page - found in multiple cities for local search results Google My Business & Google Maps 9
L Multi-Location SEO: City Page Content the Easy Way (From a Local Content Writer) Local Content 11
Linda Buquet Multi-Location SEO: City Page Content the Easy Way (From a Local Content Writer) Local Content 11
C Which is the better Naming Scheme for "Subdirectory" for Local City Landing Pages? Help & Support for Google Local 11
accessted Yellow page city YPC Media Citations 2
Mike Wilton Managing Multiple Locations in the Same City from a Keyword/On Page SEO Perspective Local Search 1
T Business w/3 Locations: What City(s) Do I Use in Home Page Title Tag? Multi-Location Issues 2
Travis Van Slooten Business w/3 Locations: What City(s) Do I Use in Home Page Title Tag? Multi-Location Issues 2
F Videos for city landing pages Local Search 24
Cam Question: Are Local City Pages still working for Improving Local S.E.O??? Local Search 5
A Why City & State in Title of page Local Search 4
J Google+ business page targeting multiple cities/landing pages novice question Google Local 101 3
L 16 Tips for Creating UNIQUE City Landing Page Content Multi-Location Issues 12
Linda Buquet 16 Tips for Creating UNIQUE City Landing Page Content Multi-Location Issues 12
L The Nitty Gritty Of City Landing Pages for Local SEO Local Content 4
Linda Buquet The Nitty Gritty Of City Landing Pages for Local SEO Local Content 4
Linda Buquet List of Official Google+ City Pages Google My Business & Google Maps 7
R Using an Alternative City Name in Google+ Local Page NAP Local Search 12
D Dynamic local city webpage to satisfy [search term] + "near me" queries Service Area Businesses 2
raellovepie Probably new? Serves *CITY* and nearby areas Google My Business & Google Maps 3
N Category in City NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 1
H Ranks better for (city name) than for near me . . .which means....? Organic SEO 3
Lanerizz Tale of Two Cities And A Client on the Border Moving or Name Changes 6
Koray Tuğberk GÜBÜR Search Volumes for Every City or Region | How Can I Find Them? Local Search 10
J Branded Search shows Co Location but not G Maps search for city/location Google My Business & Google Maps 0
Barb Davids Are cities and zip codes in the footer still a thing? Local Search 2
TammyT Does city in business name increase local pack visibility Local Search 7
D Name of town/city in keyword phrase Recycle Bin 0
koji Name of town/city in keyword phrase Local Search 5
Conor Treacy GMB Name + City/Area Served Multi-Location Issues 5
J Service areas (cities, zips) keep disappearing from info? Google My Business & Google Maps 5
D What are your tricks for ranking a SAB in other cities? Service Area Businesses 9
S Getting backlinks to rank on a different city Recycle Bin 0
L How-to Set Up Social Accounts for Two-Locations In One-City Recycle Bin 0
abrandt QUESTION: City-specific / Hyper-specific Citation Software ??? Citations 17