More threads by nicoco

nicoco

Reaction score
Hi everyone

Currently working with a client who has a website that includes 54 city pages. He's obviously trying to rank for all of them but
A) There are all based on the same template and the copy being used is the same on each page apart from the name of the location
b) A big chunk of them are getting zero traffic because they obviously don't rank

As part of the strategy I was going to advice my client to

A) create unique, relevant and in depth content for the key city pages he is trying to rank for (around 5 max)
B) 301 Redirect all other city pages to the main domain/ service area page

Is that a sensible strategy?

Many thanks for your help

A. Yes

B. If they aren't getting traffic or don't have backlinks, there is no reason to redirect them.

A. Yes

B. If they aren't getting traffic or don't have backlinks, there is no reason to redirect them.
Thanks Rich but what is the point of keeping the pages if they get no traffic and don't even rank?

Thanks Rich but what is the point of keeping the pages if they get no traffic and don't even rank?
There isn't. I'd improve the top pages (as you have planned to do) and delete any others that aren't getting traffic or don't have backlinks.

Hi everyone

Currently working with a client who has a website that includes 54 city pages. He's obviously trying to rank for all of them but
A) There are all based on the same template and the copy being used is the same on each page apart from the name of the location
b) A big chunk of them are getting zero traffic because they obviously don't rank

A) create unique, relevant and in depth content for the key city pages he is trying to rank for (around 5 max)

Hi There,

We see this type of content A LOT - and its largely ineffective. While Google has said duplicate content doesn't cause a penalty - it doesn't "help" either.

I've removed 50+ pages of this type of stuff - redirected to a single page - and saw a lift in traffic - so your tactic will make a difference to the client for sure!

You're on the right track!

Carrie

Hi There,

We see this type of content A LOT - and its largely ineffective. While Google has said duplicate content doesn't cause a penalty - it doesn't "help" either.

I've removed 50+ pages of this type of stuff - redirected to a single page - and saw a lift in traffic - so your tactic will make a difference to the client for sure!

You're on the right track!

Carrie
Many Thanks for your reply Carrie. I thought the redirection was the best course of action

Hi everyone

Yes, unique content is important to have them rank. It's an investment, but worth it!

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom