More threads by steviephil

steviephil

Reaction score
Hi folks. This is a first for me: a client's competitor has created a Google Business Profile listing for a location that's "coming soon" - they've even put it in the Name field (so it says "[Business Name] (Coming Soon)"). They already have a 5-star review as well.

First thing to ask: is this allowed and within GBP's rules? I can't see how it can be. Surely a business has to be open to be able to have a listing? I did try to look in Google's guidelines but couldn't find anything obvious either way.

Secondly, if I were to report this,* what would be the best process? Suggest an edit > Close or remove > Doesn't exist here? Or Suggest an edit > Close or remove > Other? Or something else?

* Part of me feels a bit petty reporting it, but I don't know if it's due to open in days or months, and my client had the #3 spot in the map until this listing pushed it out, so... enh. Plus, if it's breaking the rules, then... that's their lookout I guess.

Thanks in advance for your help. Cheers!

Coming Soon locations are allowed but it sounds like this competitor isn't using the tools provided for them properly. GMB allows you to add businesses with a opening date set in the future, which causes the listing to display with limited information and orange text under the name reading "Opens (date)". Customers can't add reviews to locations set up this way and they generally don't rank well until they open.

I'd definitely report the store and try Doesn't Exist Here to start. If that edit gets rejected, you can try other options.

Coming Soon locations are allowed but it sounds like this competitor isn't using the tools provided for them properly. GMB allows you to add businesses with a opening date set in the future, which causes the listing to display with limited information and orange text under the name reading "Opens (date)". Customers can't add reviews to locations set up this way and they generally don't rank well until they open.

I'd definitely report the store and try Doesn't Exist Here to start. If that edit gets rejected, you can try other options.

Thanks Annika, this is great. Yeah, there's no orange text (I'm not sure if I've ever seen that in the wild y'know!) and there's the review on it. My guess is that they manually added the "(Coming Soon)" to the Name field and - from a technical/setup point of view - the listing is 'open' rather than opening in the future. I'll try Doesn't Exist Here first, as you've suggested. Thanks!

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom