More threads by Tony Wang

Solutions
Reaction score
Last week I had 2 different clients receive 5 star reviews from people that were not customers. They gave details that didn't match the business, that was the tipoff.

Curious, I looked at their profiles and both of them had only 3 reviews for other nearby business, all 5 stars, all written the same week. Looks to me like they're trying create legit-looking profiles so they can sell reviews.

I guess they're trying to stay a step ahead of Google. That is, if Google ever puts any real effort into detecting them. Not hard to stay a step ahead as of now :-(

Last week I had 2 different clients receive 5 star reviews from people that were not customers. They gave details that didn't match the business, that was the tipoff.

Curious, I looked at their profiles and both of them had only 3 reviews for other nearby business, all 5 stars, all written the same week. Looks to me like they're trying create legit-looking profiles so they can sell reviews.

I guess they're trying to stay a step ahead of Google. That is, if Google ever puts any real effort into detecting them. Not hard to stay a step ahead as of now :-(

Or possibly they are new Local Guides reviewing businesses they've had a positive experience with no ulterior motive?

Usually what we see is people review a bunch of real businesses as well as a few fakes. They're definitely making it harder for Google which is why I think this topic needs more news coverage.

Yeah, in the past we'd see profiles that left reviews all over the country, often for the same type of business, so it was more obvious. We definitely need more heat on Google!

This could also be people motivated to boost their local guide profile rating, since they earn points with reviews, photo additions, etc.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom