Marissa

Reaction score
Is there a way to track how many people see or use a business's Apple Maps listing? It doesn't look like Apple allows you to add a UTM to your website URL. Is there another way to track this?

JoyHawkins

Administrator
Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Top Poster Of Month
Solutions
Reaction score
An incredibly smart individual sent me the following tip but asked to remain anonymous. They recommended using a different URL than you use anywhere else but that still opens the location page information. You'd want to make it a URL that has a canonical tag to the real URL. Also, stay away from UTM codes as those aren't allowed on Apple.

Reaction score
You mean a shortened URL?

Makes sense... you can track the bitly clicks.

If not, it would be possible to do something with Tag Manager...

JoyHawkins

Administrator
Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Top Poster Of Month
Solutions
Reaction score
No, I mean an actual URL on the business website that looks like the real location page. I don't think they would accept a bitly.

Tiggerito

Reaction score
You could see if hashed URLs or other parameters are allowed. e.g. https://example.com/local-page#AppleMaps or https://example.com/local-page?from=AppleMaps

I do that, then use some JavaScript to rewrite the address to utm parameters before GA has a look at it. I then remove the utm parameters so they don't get spread around.

Or have your own little redirect. https://example.com/local-page-from-apple -> https://example.com/local-page?_utm...=...

Reaction score
An incredibly smart individual sent me the following tip but asked to remain anonymous. They recommended using a different URL than you use anywhere else but that still opens the location page information. You'd want to make it a URL that has a canonical tag to the real URL. Also, stay away from UTM codes as those aren't allowed on Apple.
In addition to the canonical, you could try noindexing the page. Google doesn't always follow the canonical, but typically respects noindex.

pony

Reaction score
I'm perhaps not getting this, but could you do a page that redirects to the home page?

GA isn't great at catching the traffic to the initial URL, so this will just look like traffic to your homepage, leaving you with the same problem you began with.

The reason of using a unique page is so that when you see visits to that page in GA, you know they came from Apple Maps and no where else.

Joy suggested creating a 'duplicate' of the page on it's own unique URL that cannot be accessed anywhere else, with a canonical tag back to the original page.

AndySimpson

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
For those of you that do track from Apple Maps using this/similar method, what kind of traffic do you typically see. I know this will give me the "it depends" answer but interested to see if this is worth a little bit of time and effort. Thank you

j_holtslander

Reaction score
This experiment seems to be working for this 4 location firm...

Screen Shot 2019-11-08 at 10.20.42 AM.png

Tiggerito

Reaction score
FYI.

If you also want to track GMB traffic in the GSC, you will probably find utm parameters (or any parameters) will not work. GSC now canonicalises the URLs in its reports, which means it is most likely that the utm parameter URLs will be canonicalised to the base URL.

pony

Reaction score
FYI.

If you also want to track GMB traffic in the GSC, you will probably find utm parameters (or any parameters) will not work. GSC now canonicalises the URLs in its reports, which means it is most likely that the utm parameter URLs will be canonicalised to the base URL.

I'm not using UTM parameters, but do use a query param in my GMB links and I can see them to this day in GSC as separate pages.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

Most UpVoted Answers

LocalU Podcasts

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Google Product Exert

Top Bottom