More threads by Greg Schueler

Solutions
Reaction score
I know about the risks of using a Regus office and virtual offices in general, but I have a client that uses leases an office in a Regus complex that they use and have staffed M-F.

All has been well since they moved into the office until 2 weeks ago the GMB listing was suspended and no longer visible in the search results. They had the hours listed as 24/7 since they have after hours call answering services, but they only staff the office 830-5. So I switched the hours in case this was the issue. (The suspension didn't say why, just 'quality issues'. There was also an additional category that was similar, but I removed that extra category too. Once done I resubmitted for appeal.

I received a canned response stating:
The address used in your listing doesn’t match the address of your business. You must list your business at its correct location.

In particular: Do not create a listing, or place your pin marker at a location where the business does not physically exist. P.O. Boxes/Virtual offices are not considered accurate physical locations. Your business location should be staffed during its stated hours. Please note that mailboxes at mail receiving locations are also not considered accurate physical locations.

Please change your listing to comply with our policies and submit it for review. We’ll review your listing and if it complies with our policies, we’ll lift the suspension.

The address formatting that is used in this office complex is a little strange in that the main address is 1234 Example Ave Suite#100. Then inside that suite #, there are individual room numbers. All offices inside use the same Suite#100. The preferred mailing address is just the client's business name and the Suite #100 address. they normally don't need to include the Room #, but in response to the GMB message I added the Room# in addition to the suite# and sent back a full explanation of how the office formatting was at this location.

One day later I get the same response:
The address used in your listing doesn’t match the address of your business. You must list your business at its correct location.

The address DOES match the address of the business. It is listed on the website, they get mail there, it is formatted correctly, and it is staffed (small staff, but still staffed.)

Is there any way to reason with GMB Support or any way around this issue? It's like they don't listen, or the address is flagged as a whole.

We are not worried so much if search results get filtered for keywords, but this office has lots of caregivers and vendors that need to find the address by business name searches and stop by to drop off and pick up supplies, so showing up in maps for them is very important.

Thanks for any insight.

Solution
No change, this is still not allowed and is right in the guidelines.

Address
  • If your business rents a physical mailing address but doesn't operate out of that location, also known as a virtual office, that location is not eligible for a Business Profile on Google.
Hey Greg,

This is a difficult scenario because it is incredibly rare for a business to actually rent a virtual office full-time with staff there. I honestly don't think I have EVER come across that scenario.

If you are 100% confident that they qualify I would post over at the GMB forum and one of the TC's can help you out.

Let me know how it goes. Feel free to post the link to the GMB post here.

Thanks Colan.

Regus is known for Virtual Offices, and some of them are, but they also have various sized real offices inside their suites. It's a full executive office complex. I also just heard taking pictures could help when I reapply, so working on that now.

I would do a video vs photos. Easier to show they're there. Long term I would honestly suggest your client move though. It's likely to get suspended again.

I advise people to avoid addresses that are associated with virtual office services.

I would do a video vs photos. Easier to show they're there. Long term I would honestly suggest your client move though. It's likely to get suspended again.

I advise people to avoid addresses that are associated with virtual office services.

Thanks Joy, I will advise them that video is a better option.

I always warn people about the red flags when moving to these types of offices, but the Regus salesperson was apparently very vocal in saying Google has no problem with their addresses. (wrong!) ;-)

Thanks Joy, I will advise them that video is a better option.

I always warn people about the red flags when moving to these types of offices, but the Regus salesperson was apparently very vocal in saying Google has no problem with their addresses. (wrong!) ;-)

Yeah, I've heard that story a lot. You're right, they're dead wrong :/

Update for those following...

I gathered a copy of the client's lease which shows the physical address and the room number, a copy of the floor plan that shows the layout of all the rooms/offices in the Suite, added a few images (couldn't get video) of the office with staff in the office and included a list of other companies in the same address that were live on GMB.

I also unchecked the Service Area business to hide the address, which was not what we wanted, but just an attempt to get the listing re-instated. We figured at least people could call for the address if needed. The percentage of foot traffic is smaller than phone calls.

Google approved the request and re-instated the listing. I have left the address hidden and not sure if that was the deciding factor or the proof I sent in, but at least we are showing up again.

Update for those following...

I gathered a copy of the client's lease which shows the physical address and the room number, a copy of the floor plan that shows the layout of all the rooms/offices in the Suite, added a few images (couldn't get video) of the office with staff in the office and included a list of other companies in the same address that were live on GMB.

I also unchecked the Service Area business to hide the address, which was not what we wanted, but just an attempt to get the listing re-instated. We figured at least people could call for the address if needed. The percentage of foot traffic is smaller than phone calls.

Google approved the request and re-instated the listing. I have left the address hidden and not sure if that was the deciding factor or the proof I sent in, but at least we are showing up again.

Wow. Sounds as intense as a manual penalty removal request. Very well done!

I have a new client that was using a virtual office for GMB, he does remodeling. It was showing before, but then he hid the address before I came on. Now there is no address on the listing at all, so my question is, should I even bother changing the address to his actual business address, which is just his home?

Before the changes last fall, the hidden address still had significance in matching NAP with your citations, but now I'm wondering what value it holds? Hard to believe Google just ignores the address, even if they delete it from the profile, so I'm inclined to update the address, even though it means I'll have to re-verify.

Furthermore, I'm curious why Google even cares if you use a virtual address anymore if there's no address on the listing?

Any insights?

Hey Tony,

I'd still not recommend using a virtual office address even if the address is hidden. Google still knows what address was used to verify the listing so if it ever comes up they could still delete the listing.

Yeah I agree - if anyone reports the listing, Google will remove it. I'd suggest switching to his home.

I'm dealing with this issue right now...

apparently ALL regus office locations are prohibited from being on GMB? Even if you're paying for an actual office space within the building.

Google has basically taken the approach to ban ALL addresses that have any hint of Regus attached to them without reviewing specific cases that prove it's not a virtual office.

Greg, you could have gone an extra step by providing proof they have a business license with that address and also a BBB Accreditation. That would have been sufficient to keep the address.

@adammaxum Virtual Offices have come under scrutiny more in the past year simply because of the abuse by many industries, lawyers being the biggest one.

I will reply to your thread on the support community and see if I can help.

Greg, you could have gone an extra step by providing proof they have a business license with that address and also a BBB Accreditation. That would have been sufficient to keep the address.

@adammaxum Virtual Offices have come under scrutiny more in the past year simply because of the abuse by many industries, lawyers being the biggest one.

I will reply to your thread on the support community and see if I can help.

thanks...we can provide video and such if that would remove the suspension...we've already provided paid invoice receipts showing the locations which should be sufficient proof I'd think

The issue is that a lease doesn't prove that someone is there. I've [unfortunately] seen many cases where people rent an office and it's just locked all day. Video evidence is definitely the way to go if they do have their employees work out of that location during work hours.

Joy, how does taking a video work when trying to get your suspended GMB listing re-instated. In filling out the GMB reinstatement form, it doesn't look like they allow you to attach any images or files? So how exactly does this work? Am I missing something? Please let me know. Thank you!

I would wait until you get a reply and then you should be able to send them photos.

Second what Joy said. Google will let you know if they need/want photo or video evidence. In the description section of the form you can indicate that you have photos ready to send over to them as a reminder as well.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom