More threads by djbaxter

There are far too many lazy "web developers" (and to call them that is really not correct) who don't know anything about optimizing web sites. And this is true for lots of optimizations including SEO, optimizing for accessibility

There's no shortage of amateurs out there. I see stuff like this all the time.

Related: Four stages of competence

Divi does have a lot of bloat but if its optimized professionally and hosted on good infrastructure it can be quite fast.

There's no shortage of amateurs out there. I see stuff like this all the time.

Related: Four stages of competence

Divi does have a lot of bloat but if its optimized professionally and hosted on good infrastructure it can be quite fast.

Thanks for the reply, J. Regarding Divi - maybe it can be optimized - I wouldn't know as I prefer to spend my time doing what I already know works well, and using tools that don't need more time spent optimizing.

I see a lot of websites that seem to have the goal of impressing with looks - and indeed, the first time a visitor sees the site, it might actually appear to be impressive, after it finally loads. But they soon get irritated with the lack of ability to actually get to the information they want, or in the long download times, etc. I am not saying websites do not have to be attractive, but this has been way overdone in some cases, and to the detriment of actually thinking about users doing what you want them to do; get information or view and buy products/services.

I sometimes have to have discussions with my clients when they say, "Hey, I want my website to look like that one!"

"Umm.. no. Really, you don't, and here's why...."

As far as hosting on good infrastructure, this is another area I am quite familiar with. When I started my business back in 1998, it also included a small "hosting facility" including Linux servers.

It was not really economically feasible to maintain that or even grow it, but the experience of managing and hardening servers, as well as the experience of knowing what can be done on various systems, has been invaluable.

So this comes up in discussions with my clients - and part of my business is choosing premium hosting which I can manage myself, on a variety of dedicated or VPS servers, instead of any shared hosting plans.

SEOs can teach web developers a lot. The reverse is true too.

Absolutely! It's one of the reasons why I'm privileged to have experience in both areas, as well as Linux server admin experience as well.

But, I really believe that many people who call themselves "web designers" or "web developers" really are not. Some of them are perhaps great with creative graphic creation, or in the print niche, but have no ideas about basics of optimization, and think that their experience in print design simply carries into the web design. It doesn't.

I've seen a lot of these agencies that do great at print design, then go and get a theme, and call themselves "web designers" and give zero thought (because they don't know perhaps) to image optimization, server resource usage, and website speed issues.

I'm fairly good with HTML / CSS, and I learned out of necessity because if you're in SEO and don't know basic coding functions, then it could make life difficult. I have more fun with the Technical SEO puzzles, so it only makes sense to learn those languages.

Designers have a tough time with building websites, because they only understand what design looks good and not core functionality of the site. A lot of times if a developer gets the assets in a .psd file, then their job is to simply build what was approved. Vicious cycle.

Divi could be good if you know how to tweak the settings towards performance. I'd never allow a developer to build a client site with a visual builder though. Did that in the past and it's a disaster. Never again. I do build some test sites that I play with in my spare time in Divi because i'm not a real developer and I don't pretend lol. It's quicker for me to pull something like that together so I can get it out the door and test whatever I need to.

The only way to really fix the issue is to get the designer, developer, and SEO teams in the same room and review the wire-frame before design. Then review the design to talk though functionality. Then again to review the dev site on a staging server before going live. Everyone needs to learn a little bit about what the other departments are working with.

If design is contracted out, then the SEO and developer need to review the design to figure out how to implement correctly (e.g., do you use JS or CSS for certain elements? Which would require less resource calls?).

If people don't want to learn, then that's on them. If it's an agency building a site, there's no excuse for living in a silo. If the company's core skill is print design/graphic design and they're trying to slap together websites, they should be called out on it. The only way to do that is to continue educating and sharing information with business owners & marketing teams.

Marketing still lives the the wild west. There's really not too many regulations around what someone can or cannot do. It's kind of crazy.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom