merlin_1234

Reaction score
My client owns a hotel with multiple outlets inside - all food and beverage, a couple of bars and a restaurant.

One of the bars (frustratingly) includes the name of the hotel - i.e. "The Hilton" & "The Hilton Bar". The issue is the bar is now appearing in place of the hotel for all branded keywords - both as the knowledge panel and above the main hotel in the 3-pack.

The hotel has significantly more reviews (around 100 vs 2000) both at 4.6, and has received a lot more attention over the years, both from an optimisation and traffic perspective.

Interestingly, even when we add "hotel" to the keyword, it still prioritises the bar (no knowledge panel in this case, but it still appears above the hotel in the 3-pack).

We had an issue at the end of last year where someone created a duplicate listing of the hotel, which started appearing in place of the original. That listing had zero reviews, no interaction, had only been up about a month etc. I'm wondering if there's something fundamentally wrong with the main hotel listing.

We've been back and forth with support but they've been no help. Trying to think of anything else we can possibly do to force a change - would heavily deoptimising the bar listing do something?

Thanks in advance.

merlin_1234

Reaction score
They are not, no.

All of the markers are set within the hotel limits though, and the addresses all align. As far as I knew that's the only signals we can send, connecting the dots is up to Google (i.e. there's no manual entry for that)...or is there something else I could do there?

Lluc

Solutions
Reaction score
Hi @merlin_1234 , here is a thread about the "located in" edit. New Feature: Manually Add "Located In" to a GMB Listing

I'm not sure it will be enough to get the hotel profile ranking instead of the bar profile. Schema markup would be something I would check/implement if you do not done so yet.

Also, it might help to do a citations revision and verify that there is no incorrect information in the main travel directories (Booking, Tripadvisor, hotels.com, etc).

My final recommendation would be to contact your Google Hotel Ads account manager and let them know that an incorrect GMB listing is appearing and as a result, Hotel Ads are not been displayed. I've found that this is the fastest way to correct GMB profile visibility issues with hotels. (Forget about GMB support).

P.S. When did your visibility issues begin? 8th of February or 20th of March by any chance??

merlin_1234

Reaction score
Hey @Lluc - thanks a lot for your reply.

I didn't know that could be manually submitted, that's a great addition in any case, so thank you! I actioned that and the Bar listing actually disappeared overnight - alas it's come back now.

Citations are as good as they'll ever be - we do regular audits for the main listing. The hotel is submitted on all the main OTA's as well.

I'm exploring that final option - thanks.

Actually this started occurring around the beginning of March - why do you ask?

Lluc

Solutions
Reaction score
Hi @merlin_1234, Google Hotel Ads support should be able to help you.- If the correct hotel listing is not shown in the K.P., then there are no ads! If they can't solve the issue I would recommend posting in the GMB Forum.

Regarding visibility, I was just wondering about the date because we have several hotel listings from different clients in different locations that have experienced a "loss of visibility" on those two dates (but this is only shown in the Performance report in GSC). It is difficult to evaluate the impact on revenue at the moment...

merlin_1234

Reaction score
Thanks @Lluc - we're still investigating but appreciate the help. If we don't get anywhere I'll repost in the GMB forum.

No loss of visibility on those listing for us on those dates my side. Just looks like a random blip in this case.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
M Hotel bar appearing instead of main hotel listing Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Lluc Google showing large favicons/logos for "people also searched for" in the search bar auto-complete suggestions Google News: Important Changes & Features 2
Lachlan_Wells Maps confuses a bar for a furniture store Google My Business & Google Maps 3
virens GMB category for mobile bar NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 4
Jared Broussard Google Maps: Address Searches Producing "At This Location" Bar Google My Business & Google Maps 1
djbaxter Make Google Chrome Show HTTP and WWW Again in Address Bar Websites, Software, and Security 0
B 2 Business/1 Location Scenario - Distillery/Bar Local Search 6
djbaxter Floating Share Bar Admin Stuff 3
Optimize Prime Google Update (Screenshots): Product bar at the top is gone. Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Linda Buquet Google Launches NEW Things To Do In... Tourist Attraction Image Bar in SERPS Local Search 5
Matt Chauhan Opinion on entering service areas within the GMB dashboard for Brick and Mortar Businesses NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 2
Chaddow More Hours feature within GMB Google My Business & Google Maps 5
A GMB Edits Reverting Within 24 Hours. Local Viking the Cause Google My Business & Google Maps 5
A Hours, Categories and Other Listing Info Approved and Reverting Within Hours Help & Support for Google Local 1
J Linking retail store within museum to same GMB Help & Support for Google Local 7
Shelly Opinions wanted: Answering Q&A on another GMB panel (within a different category) as a business in the same town Google My Business & Google Maps 8
Jen Currier Can a Business have two GMB listings within the same state if one is set up as a SAB and the other w/a Physical Address? Google Duplicates & Merges 5
W Can you point to a different URL from within a GMB without it getting suspended? Moving or Name Changes 3
J Local SEO within Self-Storage Industry Contact Us Messages 1
NatalieS Using 'Located within' for multi-location businesses Multi-Location Issues 1
Zhivko Location within another location Google My Business & Google Maps 7
Digitaldar Spa Within Hotel Help & Support for Google Local 6
Tony Wang Dental practice within a practice? Google My Business & Google Maps 13
Martin Briggs Ranking in a city within a city Local Search 2
N Page Hated Within 100-Mile Radius Of City, Loved Outside It Local Search 10
KevinWag Service Area - Cities/Zips vs. Within X Miles Local Search 5
Chaddow Best Practice for Businesses within other businesses Local Search 4
gulliver Doctor / Practitioner within Yoga center - same address Google My Business & Google Maps 8
Colan Nielsen Update: Close & Open Listings Within GMB Google My Business & Google Maps 8
V Issue with GMB & map listings for locations within locations Help & Support for Google Local 0
Lloyd Silver Is it okay to manage multiple pages within one account? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Lloyd Silver Multiple DBAs within same industry, same address, different phone numbers Google My Business & Google Maps 2
seoprrocket You can now verify your Google+ page within your Google+ Business Page Dashboard Recycle Bin 0
Nathan_NZ GMB for Hotels Question Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Professor M Google slapped in France over misleading hotel star ratings Google News: Important Changes & Features 0
Antonio 4500 plus reviews suspended for a 26-year-old hotel business. Local Reviews 17
Lluc Health & Safety attributes for hotels displaying on mobile Google My Business & Google Maps 1
NevenaIvanova Adding Floor to Hotel's address? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
DanielTexasLira Has anyone done Local SEO on a Dual Pad Hotel (two different hotel brands sharing the same location)? Local Search 6
R TripAdvisor Reviews On GMB Listing For Hotels Local Reviews 4
Lluc Google Assistant Duplex available for hotels? Google My Business & Google Maps 0
Belen C New signage for hotels in Maps Google My Business & Google Maps 0
W Should multiple nearby hotels target the same area attraction? Recycle Bin 0
DanielTexasLira Should multiple nearby hotels target the same area attraction? Local Search 5
Zhanna Does Local SEO for small hotels return the investments? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
A Service area for hotels Service Area Businesses 3
Claire Carlile Hotel ads 🏨 sneaking into the business profile 💰 Paid Search and Local Service Ads 7
mattheffner New Services Interface for Hotels/B&Bs? Local Search 2
officialryguy1 Google My Business Changes/Issues for Hotels Google News: Important Changes & Features 27
officialryguy1 Updating Hotel Descriptions Help & Support for Google Local 3