valentinb13

Reaction score
I'm not complaining, but trying to figure out if there's a good explanation to this:

Client relaunched site in late July — we use UTMs on their 50+ locations — we did nothing with the GMB/UTM before or directly after the launch. We noticed that users and sessions spiked (on our campaigns) right when the site relaunched and it has remained elevated compared to before the relaunch. Bounce rates exploded also though. Any idea why? I would have expected a dip — general organic traffic bumped up a bit, but nothing significant like this...
1569348063192.png

valentinb13

Reaction score
Complete site redesign, URLs, consolidated pages. Stayed on the same CMS

Cherie Dickey

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
The site could be ranking for terms it didn't rank for before if new content was added. Current bounce and time on site look pretty normal to me. In fact, the older numbers look abnormal to me... like someone who goes to the site often didn't exclude their IP address or something.

I would be interested in seeing what these numbers look like when only looking at new users.

valentinb13

Reaction score
The site could be ranking for terms it didn't rank for before if new content was added. Current bounce and time on site look pretty normal to me. In fact, the older numbers look abnormal to me... like someone who goes to the site often didn't exclude their IP address or something.

I would be interested in seeing what these numbers look like when only looking at new users.
In the screenshot above, New Users (visiting from the GMB profiles) jumped 176% in that time frame. Also, we didn't do anything with their GMBs — in fact, I didn't update the location page URLs on the GMB until about 2 weeks ago. And the spike coincides with the day the site launched — Is it possible for the GMBs to suddenly rank (for more terms) overnight like that?

Zhivko

Reaction score
I think Google has no clue what they are doing and this is just something random. :)

What does the GMB statistics show? More calls? More requests for directions? Is the spike caused by just some of your listings or they all exploded?

Cherie Dickey

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
@valentinb13 I'm not sure, to be honest. But, I have seen GBL listings rank for searches that they don't have a category set for because the website mentions the service or keyword. So, it's possible that if the site had new content added targeting more keywords, or improved the content for those keywords, then the GBLs linked to the site could have also earned better visibility for those searches. Over night seems a bit fast, but this is Google...and we never can be quite sure what Google is up to, haha

I wouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth though. If this new traffic is quality traffic, then I wouldn't worry too much about it. Hopefully it lasts!

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
FriarTuck00 Big Jump in Number of Google Reviews - Why? Local Reviews 3
Professor M Google Maps and Google My Business Big Changes - Google Maps Local News Feed Google My Business & Google Maps 26
A Big Issue with Google Map Rankings For Everyone Local Search 9
Matthew Summers Anyone else see a big change in "blue links" rankings starting around 5.26.20? Google Algorithm Discussions 0
L Big Drop in the number of new reviews made by customers Local Reviews 1
MarianoF Trending [November 5, 2019 Local Algorithm Update] Unexplained big drops in GMB rankings Google Algorithm Discussions 216
eshad Seen a big drop in views on GMB insights? Local Search 19
vinchenson Changed to SAB and Traffic Dropped Big Time Recycle Bin 0
ForwardMotion Changed to SAB and Traffic Dropped Big Time Service Area Businesses 26
JoyHawkins BBB Makes Big Change to Review Display Local Reviews 1
djbaxter Google: Duplicate meta descriptions no big deal Organic SEO 0
G How do the big SEO firms achieve results so fast and economical for clients? Local Search 16
H Still Grappling with the BIG change in 301 redirect rules. . . Local Search 9
Marcus Sudden big drop in ranking Local Search 13
Gsmithmike Is Google messing with Search Results Big Time? Google My Business & Google Maps 0
Tim Colling Big news for me Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 10
J My ranking suddenly dropped big Google My Business & Google Maps 4
C Criteria For Some Businesses Getting the Big Red Marker? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Ajay Prasad A big hello from California! This is Ajay. Introduce Yourself - We're Friendly 6
JoyHawkins A Big Marketing Opportunity Most SMBs & Local Consultants Miss Local Search 9
Linda Buquet How Big an Impact Does Social Media Play in Google Local Results? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Linda Buquet Hey Big Spender! What Industries Spend the Most on Local Search + Get the Best Return Local Search 3
Linda Buquet Best of Local @ the Local Search Forum: The Big 2014 Countdown Local Search 8
Linda Buquet Pigeon Factors - 5,000 Page Case Study and a Big Takeaway Google My Business & Google Maps 11
mattramos Anybody else see a big decrease in views on July 2nd? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
S Client with a BIG problem hope you can help Help & Support for Google Local 13
Linda Buquet Big List of Local SEO Tools Local SEO Tools & Software 4
Linda Buquet Why ?Barnacle SEO? Is Making A Big Comeback In Local - David Mihm Local Search 3
RobinOctane What Would You Do? Leased Location vs Home Office, Big 3 vs Google Local Search 7
D Big Problems Using &'s in Business Name? Local Search 7
Linda Buquet Big List Citation Building Strategies Citations 12
D Hyper local media goes viral and may turn a disaster into a big long term positive Mobile & Social 1
B Are Google+Local Pages Stuck with the Big Map? Help & Support for Google Local 2
Linda Buquet BIG New Problem? Businesses Getting MOVED by Mistake? Google My Business & Google Maps 7
Linda Buquet Google+ Local CODE FREEZE? Big Update Coming? Google My Business & Google Maps 10
Linda Buquet Big Google Local Data Problems - Possible Solutions Local Search 0
C Working With Big Brand Insurance Agent Help & Support for Google Local 11
R big and tall seattle mariners Recycle Bin 0
Barb Davids Jump in analytics for one day Organic SEO 3
mihir23192 What could have caused the sudden jump in Number of Google Reviews? 50 to 3500 Help & Support for Google Local 2
R How to "Jump" over returns not physically local Local Search 2
A Strong in organic, poor in maps (rank jumps when you zoom in or out) Local Search 3
djbaxter Marked jump in brute force attacks against WordPress sites Organic SEO 0
Caroline Linking GMB with Adwords- jump in rankings? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
K Home Advisor Jumping into the Google Local Spam Game? Spam on Google 11
Linda Buquet Dead Simple Google Reviews via Mobile - Bypass the Hoop Jumping Local Reviews 16
R Ranking jumping back and forth 350 at a time Help & Support for Google Local 6
J Filter Issue with Smart Campaign? Help & Support for Google Local 4
Eric Rohrback Campaign Planning for Clients Consultant's Corner 11
djbaxter Malicious WordPress Redirect Campaign Attacking Several Plugins Websites, Software, and Security 1