FriarTuck00

Reaction score
Yesterday, one of my clients brought to my attention that one of their locations had a huge jump in the number of Google Reviews in the last week. I checked on Monday and only saw 9 reviews, which conflicted with what he saw (37 reviews). However this morning, I'm now seeing the same thing my client is seeing. Most of these reviews were 1 and 2 star reviews and some were as old as from 2013.

Have any of you seen Google pulling in old reviews and adjusting your total/average? Any reason why this is happening?

MP 031620.png

MP 031720.png

Yan Gilbert

Administrator
Local Search Expert
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
I have not seen anything announced however that there was some change with reviews that had no associated text (just a star rating). At first they were all removed but they seem to have reappeared again. This happened in the last few days. Perhaps this is associated with that.

FriarTuck00

Reaction score
I have not seen anything announced however that there was some change with reviews that had no associated text (just a star rating). At first they were all removed but they seem to have reappeared again. This happened in the last few days. Perhaps this is associated with that.

I went back and checked and most of them were reviews with text (only 10 of the 38 are stars-only). I'm just curious what has caused them to show up again. It dropped the clients by almost 2 full stars.

Yan Gilbert

Administrator
Local Search Expert
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
Not sure, it was just something that was noticed a few days back. Usually when stuff like that happens it's either because Google messed something up and reverted, or is preparing for a future change.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
valentinb13 Big jump in campaign sessions after site relaunch Local Search 6
Professor M Google Maps and Google My Business Big Changes - Google Maps Local News Feed Google My Business & Google Maps 26
A Big Issue with Google Map Rankings For Everyone Local Search 9
Matthew Summers Anyone else see a big change in "blue links" rankings starting around 5.26.20? Google Algorithm Discussions 0
L Big Drop in the number of new reviews made by customers Local Reviews 1
MarianoF Trending [November 5, 2019 Local Algorithm Update] Unexplained big drops in GMB rankings Google Algorithm Discussions 216
eshad Seen a big drop in views on GMB insights? Local Search 19
vinchenson Changed to SAB and Traffic Dropped Big Time Recycle Bin 0
ForwardMotion Changed to SAB and Traffic Dropped Big Time Service Area Businesses 26
JoyHawkins BBB Makes Big Change to Review Display Local Reviews 1
djbaxter Google: Duplicate meta descriptions no big deal Organic SEO 0
G How do the big SEO firms achieve results so fast and economical for clients? Local Search 16
H Still Grappling with the BIG change in 301 redirect rules. . . Local Search 9
Marcus Sudden big drop in ranking Local Search 13
Gsmithmike Is Google messing with Search Results Big Time? Google My Business & Google Maps 0
Tim Colling Big news for me Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 10
J My ranking suddenly dropped big Google My Business & Google Maps 4
C Criteria For Some Businesses Getting the Big Red Marker? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Ajay Prasad A big hello from California! This is Ajay. Introduce Yourself - We're Friendly 6
JoyHawkins A Big Marketing Opportunity Most SMBs & Local Consultants Miss Local Search 9
Linda Buquet How Big an Impact Does Social Media Play in Google Local Results? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Linda Buquet Hey Big Spender! What Industries Spend the Most on Local Search + Get the Best Return Local Search 3
Linda Buquet Best of Local @ the Local Search Forum: The Big 2014 Countdown Local Search 8
Linda Buquet Pigeon Factors - 5,000 Page Case Study and a Big Takeaway Google My Business & Google Maps 11
mattramos Anybody else see a big decrease in views on July 2nd? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
S Client with a BIG problem hope you can help Help & Support for Google Local 13
Linda Buquet Big List of Local SEO Tools Local SEO Tools & Software 4
Linda Buquet Why ?Barnacle SEO? Is Making A Big Comeback In Local - David Mihm Local Search 3
RobinOctane What Would You Do? Leased Location vs Home Office, Big 3 vs Google Local Search 7
D Big Problems Using &'s in Business Name? Local Search 7
Linda Buquet Big List Citation Building Strategies Citations 12
D Hyper local media goes viral and may turn a disaster into a big long term positive Mobile & Social 1
B Are Google+Local Pages Stuck with the Big Map? Help & Support for Google Local 2
Linda Buquet BIG New Problem? Businesses Getting MOVED by Mistake? Google My Business & Google Maps 7
Linda Buquet Google+ Local CODE FREEZE? Big Update Coming? Google My Business & Google Maps 10
Linda Buquet Big Google Local Data Problems - Possible Solutions Local Search 0
C Working With Big Brand Insurance Agent Help & Support for Google Local 11
R big and tall seattle mariners Recycle Bin 0
Barb Davids Jump in analytics for one day Organic SEO 3
mihir23192 What could have caused the sudden jump in Number of Google Reviews? 50 to 3500 Help & Support for Google Local 2
R How to "Jump" over returns not physically local Local Search 2
A Strong in organic, poor in maps (rank jumps when you zoom in or out) Local Search 3
djbaxter Marked jump in brute force attacks against WordPress sites Organic SEO 0
Caroline Linking GMB with Adwords- jump in rankings? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
K Home Advisor Jumping into the Google Local Spam Game? Spam on Google 11
Linda Buquet Dead Simple Google Reviews via Mobile - Bypass the Hoop Jumping Local Reviews 16
R Ranking jumping back and forth 350 at a time Help & Support for Google Local 6
Barb Davids Phone number not local area code Moving or Name Changes 2
rich_marlatt Do the number of backlinks from a domain have any impact on local SEO? Local Search 2
NevenaIvanova Additional Phone Number in GMB dashboard Google My Business & Google Maps 1