Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Thanks for confirming Jason. Sounds like she's still just testing and all we can do it hope that by the time this rolls out it's improved and includes location settings.

Chase Billow

Reaction score
FWIW, on different computers, different locations (same city) and same browser (Chromium based), I get two different formats. On one, I get the old, left-hand nav with the location and option to edit. On the other, I get the top nav with the new "search settings" with location in there and the option to edit.

Reaction score
In Firefox, and Chrome both logged in, and out of my Google+ account I'm only seeing location selection on left sidebar - so looks normal to me. Bright Local is probably crapping their pants right now :(

** Edit - this is in Edmonton, Alberta Canada FYI

sergiuliano

Reaction score
Google Search Page layout has nothing to do with the google search syntax, so yes thats true, users could encounter difficulties in changing location but Keyword Rankings tools will be there to help as they will still be able to receive the results.

KabanaSoft

Reaction score
Google seems to be testing the crap out of this new layout right now in my area...at this point the new layout seems to be displaying randomly...sometimes i see it using Firefox, then i switch to Chrome, i don't see it, sometimes it shows using private browsing or being logged into Google account, other times its still the old layout.

In any case i'm working on updating the code for Places Scout so it can detect what layout is being displayed, and work with the new layout accordingly. That way Places Scout will still work no matter what layout they show.

Almost done with the new code, testing it now, seems to be working well with the new layout. Will release an update soon :).

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
WOW - So I just got the update on Chrome and was able to play with it a little.

So far everything checks out OK for me. I have city location settings as before and so far it looks like nothing else important to me has changed. Still have Place Search and Maps Search and they still appear to work the same.

It's a little different than what I'm used to but all the features I use are there.

WHOOHOO, just found an interesting new feature. Hang on, let me play with it.

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
OK no more testing or messing around. :p It was just officially announced - done deal.

Spiffing up your search results page

Rolled out or is rolling out in US for now, but sounds like our members in other countries have been seeing it sporadically.

The NEW feature I discovered is not new it turns out after some research. However, I've never seen it before and I've never heard anyone in local talk about it. Search "Nearby". Under the "All Results" drop down in search tools, can filter by "Nearby".

Jason Kamara

Reaction score
Linda, thanks for the Blogspot link. While the new top nav bar layout is inconvenient, it's the inability to manually choose location (on Google.com) that gets me. I'm going to see if I can append the location parameters to the query URL manually.

Mark has already finished the update to Places Scout. I can't imagine what it must be like to work with a continuously changing Google API - nerves of steel maybe?

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Oh so you are still missing location settings? I have them. I wonder if it's still just buggy, still in testing or or not quite finished for Canada?

Simon James

Reaction score
I think I prefer it; the new layout is the best way of giving advanced search capabilities on mobile... so why not have a consistent approach?

Reaction score
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
sergiuliano Re: Breaking: Will Google Kill Search Location Setting? Bad News for Local SEO if So Recycle Bin 0
Noelle Leahy Does responding to Google reviews in Dental Industry break Patient Confidentiality? Marketing 11
Linda Buquet Breaking: Linda gets Suspended by Google Google My Business & Google Maps 10
R Please help cant break first page Google Business Help & Support for Google Local 9
Linda Buquet Breaking: Google Features New Amenities Display in Search Google My Business & Google Maps 11
Linda Buquet BREAKING - Google's Mobile-Friendly Update Will Not Affect Local Pack Listings Mobile & Social 11
Linda Buquet BREAKING: Is Google Getting into the Home Services Market Like Amazon? Google My Business & Google Maps 6
Linda Buquet BREAKING! Google My Business Update: Review Notifications and Lots More Google My Business & Google Maps 17
Linda Buquet Google Maps and Google Commerce Break Up Video Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 0
Linda Buquet Breaking: Google Maps for iPhone Just in Time for SMBs Christmas Mobile & Social 3
Linda Buquet BREAKING! Google+ Business Merge with Google Place Pages Starts Now! Google My Business & Google Maps 42
Linda Buquet BREAKING! Google+ Business Merge with Google Place Pages Starts Now! Google My Business & Google Maps 0
djbaxter Facebook & Instagram embeds on WordPress will break soon Websites, Software, and Security 1
djbaxter Upcoming API Change to break Facebook, Instagram oEmbed Links October 24 Mobile & Social 0
djbaxter WordPress 5.5 update breaks plugins: Here’s the fix Websites, Software, and Security 6
Cherie Dickey Taking a much needed break Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 3
O Already reported this PBN, but cant break them Spam on Google 0
Dustybones WHITE BOARD FRIDAY: Sometimes you need to break the rules in SEO Local Search 0
J Valentines' day SEO Funny (Building Links & Breaking Hearts) Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 9
B On 7 pack but breaking all rules? Ranking Puzzles 1
B On 7 pack but breaking all rules? Ranking Puzzles 1
Linda Buquet BREAKING: SEOmoz Acquires GetListed & David Mihm Local Search 10
Linda Buquet Whoo - Hoo Breaking Traffic Records! Mod Squad 3
Lanerizz Google Analytics 4 Organic SEO 1
M Google Local Services Ads - Lack of Leads Paid Search and Local Service Ads 9
rustybrick Google Local ranking update? Google Algorithm Discussions 6
harmony How Does Google Choose Service Options in a Review? Local Reviews 6
abbiebeltran Google Reviews Now Have 'Service-Testimonial-Tags' at the Top Local Reviews 1
Tim Colling I'm getting calls from "Google Maps" at 650-206-5555, asking about clients' hours - are they legit? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
JoshuaMackens Google Posts & Ranking Local Search 10
A Listing suspended due to account manager spamming? Google advise to create new GMB Local Search 13
djbaxter Webinar Get together with Google Search at Search Central Live - February 23, 2021 Events 0
djbaxter Google Maps Removed 55M Reviews & 3M Fake Business Profiles Spam on Google 2
Professor M Google slapped in France over misleading hotel star ratings Google News: Important Changes & Features 0
D Google Spam Fighting Question Google My Business & Google Maps 6
C Fake google reviews on google my business Contact Us Messages 2
U Google showing location of Service Area Business Service Area Businesses 2
Lluc Google launches Years in Business in Search Google My Business & Google Maps 3
PaulSteinbrueck Average Google rating no longer in Google Knowledge Panel? Local Reviews 8
Professor M Is Google thinking of adding payment capabilities to GMB listings/website? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
NickB-Tampa How can I unsync Google My Business from my Bing Places listings? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
D Google "Find Results on" Error Local Search 3
F Turkish post: Google My Business local seo Recycle Bin 0
D Google Maps, Years in Business Google My Business & Google Maps 4
H Google COVID 19 posts getting suspended Google My Business & Google Maps 2
F Google My Business local seo Google Local 101 3
Vickyboli Google maps pin misplaced Google My Business & Google Maps 6
M Google rule for collecting reviews from a dedicated tablet inside a store ? Local Reviews 8
djbaxter Google on Interstitial Ads: Do what we say, not what we do Organic SEO 0
djbaxter Google Posts No Longer Expire After Seven Days Google My Business & Google Maps 5