geoseo

Reaction score
hi,

do you have particular or special suggestion about how to deal with Google+ Local for a business changing its location?

what if the business move to a different city?

thanks!

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Technically instead of editing the existing Place page you need to create a new one and mark the old location as closed. Not a great option BUT it's all we have and what Google recommends. Otherwise you'll have constant data problems and Google will keep flipping the address back on you.

Here is lots of info. Be sure to read the links in the quote in my 1st post.
Business Has Moved/Business is Closed Message

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Well no, that doc tells you in general how to edit details on your listing and that info is correct.

BUT if a business moves then FAIRLY NEW best practice advice, that Google has not documented anywhere except for Vanessa's forum comments I linked to in that other post are to close and start new listing.

The reason IMO is that Google can't control it's scraping algo. She's going to keep scraping and finding that old address and will just keep changing the listing back to that address.

Reviews are tied in part to name, address, phone and CID. So even if you just edited the address on the listing you normally lose reviews because they are tied in part to THAT specific location, not just that business name.

geoseo

Reaction score
ok, read clearly in other docs that best advice from G is to close and create a new listing.

But in the doc I have posted G also states:
This brings you to a page where you can edit information about your business, like address, description, photos, and more. Your changes will take up to a few days to appear.

Now, if I edit my address it means I have moved my business location, isn't it? This is the inaccuracy I was referring to.

thanks for explainations about reviews...super clear! :)

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Yes, Google help docs are not always accurate, not always up-to-date and sometimes things change and they aren't reflected anywhere official. As is the case here. :eek:

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
JoshuaMackens Business Location Change Local Search 5
Brian Two businesses one location has worked but client wants to change Help & Support for Google Local 3
micromano Will changing a business name in GMB cause reviews to be lost? Moving or Name Changes 3
Professor M Google Maps and Google My Business Big Changes - Google Maps Local News Feed Google My Business & Google Maps 26
P Posts Created for Change in Business Hours Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Colan Nielsen Top 10 Changes That Impacted Google My Business in 2020 Google My Business & Google Maps 1
J Unable to change the custom URL link on YouTube for a rebranded business Local Content 2
ErinJones Google My Business Category Changes by Month Google My Business & Google Maps 0
Colan Nielsen Top 10 Changes That Impacted Google My Business in 2020 Google My Business & Google Maps 0
med-just Strategic Implications of Changing Primary Business Category NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 7
JoyHawkins [Technical Issue] Don't Change the Address on Service Area Business Listings Google News: Important Changes & Features 5
Ben Walsh GMB business name keeps getting reverted back to old name after branding change Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 4
georgebizpro GMB keeps changing business website URL Google My Business & Google Maps 4
S Changing the address of a SAB business Service Area Businesses 3
K Google Keeps Changing my Business Name Google My Business & Google Maps 7
N Would changing the main business category drop a GMB rankings significantly or at all if it's in the same industry? Local Content 7
J Business unverified without changes - SAB Help & Support for Google Local 3
Y Will small change of google business name hurt my google business rankings? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
officialryguy1 Google My Business Changes/Issues for Hotels Google News: Important Changes & Features 27
G What's the best way for my business to handle a change of address? Local Search 8
Oliver Keates Change in GMB Business name for lawyers industry Consultant's Corner 4
Tim Colling Huge Change for Service Area Businesses in Google My Business Service Area Businesses 129
Durandl Business name change - Impact on reviews? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Digitaldar Can Customers Change Their Google Review of a Business? Local Search 1
JoyHawkins Webinar: Changes to Google My Business & Local SEO in 2017 Google My Business & Google Maps 20
R My business not visible in maps after making changes in mapmaker to add suite number Local Search 7
BenFisher How I changed my Vanity URL in Google My Business Google My Business & Google Maps 6
Colan Nielsen Google Changes Business Name in Local Knowledge Graph Google My Business & Google Maps 4
Tim Colling Angie?s List is now free: What this change means for your business Local Search 4
Linda Buquet Making Sense of the Google Adwords Changes for Local Businesses Paid Search and Local Service Ads 1
A Changing to Google My Business social media icon from Google Plus Icon Local Search 1
M Changed Business Name Citations 2
MichaelW Google My Business Search Results Change Google My Business & Google Maps 6
Linda Buquet Google Business View Rebrands (Again) PLUS More Maps Changes Google My Business & Google Maps 16
K Change of URL in Google My Business due to change of organic URL structure. Google My Business & Google Maps 12
MichaelW What to do with Business Name Change Help & Support for Google Local 3
D Changing URL from Google Plus Business Page (Please Help) Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Linda Buquet Google My Business Help Center Upgrade - Lots of Changes Google My Business & Google Maps 5
D How To Change Image In Business' Knowledge Graph Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Tim Colling Changing from listing with address to "service area business" Help & Support for Google Local 10
onebluesummer Cant change other business info of competitor that's got my website as theirs.. Google My Business & Google Maps 3
R Restaurant client claimed previous business and changed name Moving or Name Changes 8
Rich Owings Restaurant client claimed previous business and changed name Moving or Name Changes 8
L Google Changes Business Name To Other Than Legal Name NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 4
Lloyd Silver Google Changes Business Name To Other Than Legal Name NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 4
R Company with DBA & Legal Business Names - Changing NAP Listing Data? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 6
R Company with DBA & Legal Business Names - Changing NAP Listing Data? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 6
C Changing Cover Photo in Google My Business Google My Business & Google Maps 8
Chase Billow Business Name and Website Change - Reviews Disappear Help & Support for Google Local 4
E Yahoo Local Changes Rules for Removing Businesses Local Search 4