More threads by djbaxter

djbaxter

Administrator
Solutions
Reaction score
Owner moved his business. I've been trying for a year to get the old location removed from Google Maps. Owner tells me his customers are still ending up at the wrong location and therefore with incorrect directions.

Old incorrect version (owner has not been there in at least 2 years, probably longer):

Google Maps

New correct version:

Google Maps

In the past few months, I have at least twice (possibly 3 times) edited the incorrect version to note it as moved, permanently closed at that location, most recently on July 15, 2018. Each time, I get an acknowledgement of the edit saying it's under review and they'll let me know. And then nothing until I check again and see it's still listed in both locations.

What else can I do to expedite this?

Owner moved his business. I've been trying for a year to get the old location removed from Google Maps. Owner tells me his customers are still ending up at the wrong location and therefore with incorrect directions.

Old incorrect version (owner has not been there in at least 2 years, probably longer):

Google Maps

New correct version:

Google Maps

In the past few months, I have at least twice (possibly 3 times) edited the incorrect version to note it as moved, permanently closed at that location, most recently on July 15, 2018. Each time, I get an acknowledgement of the edit saying it's under review and they'll let me know. And then nothing until I check again and see it's still listed in both locations.

What else can I do to expedite this?

If I'm reading your situation correctly, I would reach out to Twitter support and ask them to mark it as "moved".

Oh, haha, I know who that is. :) Would have helped long ago if I'd known there was a problem.

I agree with Joshua Twitter support or FB support is usually pretty good and you could try that.

But for something like this, where the client is losing business or it's causing customers to get lost or upset, I would normally call support, talk to a live person and wait on the phone while they do it, to be sure it gets done and done right. (With a moved notice and link to new listing/location.)

Remove old location from Maps
If you created a new listing for your business at your new business address, you may not be able to remove the old listing for your former location.

If your old location still appears on Maps for your business, contact us. Our support team can mark the business listing for your old location as Moved.

Oh, haha, I know who that is. :) Would have helped long ago if I'd known there was a problem.

I agree with Joshua Twitter support or FB support is usually pretty good and you could try that.

But for something like this, where the client is losing business or it's causing customers to get lost or upset, I would normally call support, talk to a live person and wait on the phone while they do it, to be sure it gets done and done right. (With a moved notice and link to new listing/location.)

I'm not sure I would call in. Phone support is notoriously difficult and not only that, they are very snoopy. I've had a support rep put me on hold, fake a call to the business to see if they're a "real business", then determine they are not, and incorrectly close them. It was a business where you could order online but she delivered locally as well. Was a total nightmare. I've also called in about an issue with one listing in a client's account and then they start looking at the other listings in the account as well to find errors.

I think I would just stick with Twitter support.

Those are good points too Joshua. The hard thing is, whether Twitter or phone sometimes it depends who you get. So maybe try Twitter 1st.

The other thing David, more for future reference... if you are doing a major edit in maps directly on a listing, instead of in dash - especially something big like closing or moving. Realize that's often what's attempted when it's competitive sabotage, or someone trying to take over the listing.

So with something important like this I would go to support BUT something else that often works is to have 3 -4 people, at different times do the same edit. It boosts Google's trust that it's a valid edit and I'm not sure, but may bump it up the flag pole since more than one person is reporting it.

So for example if the situation was that a competitor to your client has gone out of business or moved out of state, but they are still in the 3 pack, cutting your client out. To move or close the listing via maps would normally take several edits by different people and plenty of data to back it up.

Who do I tweet to?

Believe it or not, I don’t use Twitter much. It confuses me lol

It’s like being at a noisy party or a mall or restaurant where everybody seems to be talking at once.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I've been tied up with technical stuff and sweating in this heat wave (AC just can't keep up with temperatures and humidity this high) :eek: but I'll follow through on Twitter within a day or two.

I find it really funny that GMBsupport's Twitter account is more helpful than well... getting in touch with them through their own support site.

I agree with Joshua, Twitter DM is the way to go. I've had very good results from using that as a first step. The reps are pretty nice too.

Thanks, everyone. I just sent the details via Twitter DM.

Well, that was fast:

Hi there! Thanks for reaching out! We've marked the listing at "910 Randolph Dr, Appleton, WI 54913" as moved to your requested listing: "N1894 Vandenbroek Rd, Kaukauna, WI 54130", so you should be all set! It could take up to 48 hours to reflect on Google Maps and up to 2 weeks to reflect on Google Search. Let us know if you have any questions! -R

Just checked now and the duplicate (incorrect) location is already gone. Awesome! :)

Clarification:

If you search for the business, only one (correct) location comes up. If you follow the link in post #1, you can still see the old location but it is clearly marked as "permanently closed".

RM closed2.png

RM closed1.png

RM closed2.png

RM closed1.png

Just checked now and the duplicate (incorrect) location is already gone. Awesome! :)

Clarification:

If you search for the business, only one (correct) location comes up. If you follow the link in post #1, you can still see the old location but it is clearly marked as "permanently closed".

malicous_redirect_screenshot.png

yuzo-related-posts.png

Sounds like they closed it instead of marketing it "moved". I would ask them to mark it "moved" so that any ranking juice passes to then new one, although I think Google uses 302's for that last time I heard so maybe it doesn't help as much as it used to? I'm not sure. Joy would know.

But I would definitely message them back and ask them to mark it "moved". They may ask you to unverify the old listing in order to do that.

The 1st rule of GMB is "NEVER, EVER MOVE"!

I was afraid that was going to happen. You just never know if you are going to get that dreaded permanently closed message. I'd def reach back out as J said ask them to fix it.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom