More threads by JaredCaraway

JaredCaraway

Reaction score
I'm embarrassed to admit this, but I set up a client's GMB profile service area using zip codes they had done deals in - but I didn't realize this was only intended for businesses that generally will travel to customers (like locksmiths). My client has an office where they primarily do business, so they are definitely not an SAB.

I realized I was mistaken with this approach and cleared out their service areas. I'm mainly curious if this could have been impacting their performance in local search - if perhaps they were less likely to show up to people who didn't fall in the zip codes I specified?

The service area has no impact on ranking, so you should be fine :)

@JaredCaraway, yeah, it shouldn't hurt or help to leave the service area specified. (I tend not to use it for bricks-and-mortar businesses, for a variety of reasons.) So just in terms of rankings it doesn't matter. But if you've got your address specified, searchers won't see your service area on the map in the knowledge panel. They'll only see the list of "areas served" on mobile (if they click the "more info" button).

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom