More threads by Matt Chauhan

Matt Chauhan

Reaction score
In the case of home-based GBP's, can we update the business address? A client used his parent's home address to verify his GBP and hid the address since they are an SAB. But that address doesn't cover their target territory. I know that if we set up a grid report for them, we will have to use their parent's address as the center point in the report to track their rankings. Is it possible to update their address in GBP, reverify it, and then hide the address again? How does it work? Is it even possible to do so?

It's what I'm currently advising based on all the bugs I have seen and Google's inability to understand that SABs can move. We have a video coming out in a few weeks about it on our YouTube channel.

It's what I'm currently advising based on all the bugs I have seen and Google's inability to understand that SABs can move. We have a video coming out in a few weeks about it on our YouTube channel.

This is very well noted. Now, in our case, the address used by our client in his GBP is in North Carolina. He is currently residing in South Carolina. If we check Google Maps, a large part of the client's target region is covered with his South Carolina address, but surprisingly, all his target zip codes fall within North Carolina (Weird Geography). Shall we go ahead and create a new listing using his South Carolina address and follow the steps you mentioned above? Will Google be confused about it (The address being in SC but target zip codes in NC)?

I'm not sure if that would result in the desired outcome. If you wanted him to rank in North Carolina, you'd want an address in North Carolina.

@JoyHawkins just curious, what exactly do you see happening if an SAB moved to a new house and submitted an address change? Are they getting suspended and having to go through reinstatement?

And if they create a new listing for the same business, Google is easily moving reviews over?

No, they continue to rank in the old area due to a technical issue that has been ongoing for years.

I wouldn't say Google "easily" does anything, but yes, we have been successful at getting reviews moved.

No, they continue to rank in the old area due to a technical issue that has been ongoing for years.

I wouldn't say Google "easily" does anything, but yes, we have been successful at getting reviews moved.
I still see this issue, and Google support doesn’t understand to update the verification address if you have it hidden.

This is their email, looks hilarious that they can’t do this change, and give your better clients based on your proximity
IMG_4615.jpeg

How to use a service area on Google for service-area & hybrid businesses - Google Business Profile Help

Hi Joy, I'd like to see the video you made regarding this. Can I take the link to your channel please?

Many thanks

Thanks Joy to share this video, I watched before but I’m still have some doubts:
-is mandatory to have a new number or we can maintain old number?
-Do you hide address in the new listing straight away?
-And last, do you do the new listing under same email account as old listing?

Yes, use a different number.
Yes, hide the address.
It should be fine to use the same account.

I've never tried but doing so might trigger a recertification.

Hi Joy, sorry to have so many questions. But I think they are important,
In your video you mentioned that if you change service area, you can ask Google to move data like reviews to the new one. in my case, I will have same service area, only I will be in different address postal code (with hidden address).

Do you think they will still accept moving the data? What data they moved together with the reviews?

And lastly, when creating the new listing, should I fill all the information, categories, photos, all the profile filled? Or they will take this from the old one.

Thank you in advance!

I don't think they would have an issue moving anything.

I would suggest completely filling out the new profile.

The video was very useful thank you - I have subscribed! A few questions if I may -
- If I create a new listing, could this cause a duplicate page issue as I would have two with the same name? According to support.google.com it says "Suggest an edit or remove a duplicate profile - Important: When you move to a new location, don’t create a new Business Profile. For more info, go to Add or edit your business address" -
(edit) - However it also says on support "Service area businesses can only create one profile for the metropolitan area that they serve." (could this imply its ok to have more than one?)

- Should I have a new emil address when creating a new business profile?
- If I instruct Google I have a new profile and to merge with the old one as outlined in the video, is that likely to happen in respect to the reviews and merging?
- Also does having a local phone number make much of a difference?
- If I wait long enough will I eventually show up in the new area?

Sorry for all the questions - thanks for all the help.

Last edited:

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom