Gsmithmike

Reaction score
There is a business i want to change the address, they are relocating to a new place. Should I leave the old address and all citation and just get a new local listing on google? - They will be serving the old are as well. Should i just transfer to new address?

any suggestions?

JoyHawkins

Administrator
Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Top Poster Of Month
Solutions
Reaction score
I'm assuming the relocation is in the same city and the phone number is staying the same? Provided that's the case, you definitely want to update the address in the GMB dashboard and update the citations across the web. I'm actually posting a big guide on how to deal with relocations on Search Engine Land next week. I'll try and post it back here so you can take a look at all the things I suggest doing.

Tony Wang

Reaction score
I just read your post on search engine land Joy (thx, helpful as usual), and then just happened to run across this thread.

However, it was my understanding that Google wants a new page for a new location; that's why they won't delete old location pages, they just mark it closed, to keep historical data. Is that not true?

JoyHawkins

Administrator
Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Top Poster Of Month
Solutions
Reaction score
Hey Tony,

That used to be true, but not any more. When a new page gets created, Google would have to manually move over allt he posts, photos, reviews, review responses etc. It's a giant pain. So unless the move wasn't massively significant, they don't create a new page. If you were moving across the state, for example, that would be significant.

This is only true for verified listings. In MapMaker, they still close down the old listing and open a new one for the millions of business listings that are not verified.

Mich

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Quick question relevant to this: I updated my address and I seem to have 'disappeared' from local rankings. My site is relatively new but I was ranking before I changed the address. How long can I expect before Google sorts everything out? I have checked and my citations are updated everywhere - re-verified on both Google and Bing.

Thanks

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
MKubot Help with Bing Clean Up Google Local 101 1
Dana Franks Cleaning Up Hack - Any Way to Clear GSC Cache in Bulk Websites, Software, and Security 2
Shelly Vacation Rental Agency Spam Clean Up Help Spam on Google 4
G Cleaning Up Spam Listings, Anything I Can Learn in the Process? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
AndySimpson Quick guide for cleaning up Google My Business spam listings - includes examples Google My Business & Google Maps 2
R Citation clean up Citations 2
C Citation Clean Up - How to Overcome Technical Issues? Citations 14
tc2 Clean Up Yahoo Local Mess Local Search 23
Gsmithmike Shall i Clean wrong citations with physical addresses or fix it? Citations 1
Linda Buquet Online Reputation Nightmare Clean Up Using SEO - 9 Tips from Chris Silver Smith Local Reviews 1
M Moved Business, Competitor Take over, Citation Clean Up. Moving or Name Changes 0
M Moved Business, Competitor Take over, Citation Clean Up. Moving or Name Changes 0
Linda Buquet Advanced Local Citation Audit & Clean Up for Higher Rankings Citations 7
Linda Buquet Local SEO Spring Cleaning - 5 Tips to Clean up Those Listings! Local Search 0
G Looking for a cleaning service? Check out American Star Cleaning Inc.! We give free e Recycle Bin 0
Linda Buquet 6 Tools to Clean up Local Citations Citations 0
deanPlumberseo Cleaning up citations Local Search 2
Nikki Stine GMB for Gun Shop pulls in 'FFL Transfer Fee' pricing from a Facebook Post. Is this normal? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 4
NickB-Tampa Issues with transferring GMB listings Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Scott Rawlins Primary Refuses to Transfer GMB Ownership Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Peter Hill Location closing, transfer equity to nearby locs? Multi-Location Issues 2
brettmandoes Is anyone having trouble transferring listing ownership to a new account? Google Duplicates & Merges 1
tyler.hammer Transfer Account Contact Us Messages 1
danielwallace Needing to transfer reviews from local listings to 1 service area listing Google Duplicates & Merges 1
P Can I use? Schema.org [TaxiService as Airport Transfer Service] Local Search 6
M Easiest plugin to migrate [transfer] WP site? Websites, Software, and Security 2
lancemoore22 Transferring GMB ownership (when the manager) Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Rich Owings Google temporarily unable to transfer reviews Google Duplicates & Merges 8
Chaddow Transferring between two agency dashboards when only need access to one location group Google My Business & Google Maps 1
M *HELP* What to do when current owner denies transfer request. Google My Business & Google Maps 4
F Transferring domain equity from a subdomain to a primary domain Organic SEO 3
L Properly Transferring Ownership of a Local Google+ Page Consultant's Corner 4
R Google 'Business Account' Blunder - Transfer Ownership, Don't Export/Import Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Linda Buquet Multiple Managers & Transfer Ownership Added to Local Google+ Business Pages Google My Business & Google Maps 11
Local Search News Curator New Google Places For Business Accounts Can Now Be Transferred to a New Owner via G+ Google My Business & Google Maps 0
R New Dashboard - Business Description Format does not transfer G+ site Local Search 1
A Transfer Google Listing into a different account? Help & Support for Google Local 2
Lachlan_Wells Accept/Discard Google Updates - Does this feature work for you? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 2
TriciaClements Cover Photo not updating Google My Business & Google Maps 8
J Getting Rid of Incorrect Highlights in GMB mobile listing ( highlights you can't update on back end ) Google My Business & Google Maps 1
abbiebeltran GMB Verification Postcard Update - What Does 2021 Postcard Look Like? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
1 GMB Listing Disabled after updating address... Google My Business & Google Maps 12
JoyHawkins Easily See Winners and Losers After an Algorithm Update Google Algorithm Discussions 3
djbaxter Brightlocal Tool shows Large Google Local Search Algorithm Update March 10, 2021 Google Algorithm Discussions 1
Rich Owings Google community challenge to update 100,000 businesses Google My Business & Google Maps 0
djbaxter Core Web Vitals and the Page Experience Update Google Algorithm Discussions 7
rustybrick Google Local ranking update? Google Algorithm Discussions 12
NevenaIvanova Need help with business detail update of a Chinese business Local Search 3
Niki Gross Tracking Variables Removed After Dec. Update Google My Business & Google Maps 1
D Should I Bother Updating NAP on Business Listings and 3rd Party Sites? Citations 7