ash-grin

Reaction score
Is there any way to "force" Google to show the cover/logo photos chosen in the identity photo section for a GMB listing? I know photos were delayed for COVID, are they still? But also in general I seem to have issues with photos showing in search even though they are added in the backend dashboard.

Colan Nielsen

Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
Usually, Google uses the cover photo from GMB for the Knowledge panel but these are cases where they won’t:

1. It’s a logo
  2. It’s very pixelated
  3. They’ve decided they hate your photo for some obscure reason
The best way to fix it is to add a new picture to the cover photo section in GMB.

Tips:

1. Pick an image that looks good in both landscape and a square layout.
  2. Pick an image that has most of the image in the top half (not the bottom half).
  3. The image should be a close-up and not have a ton of background detail.
  4. An image of an exterior is generally preferable to the algorithm.
  5. Use the dimensions 1332 x 750 for the cover photo.

Claire Carlile

LocalU Faculty
Reaction score
Hi Ash - sometimes Google populates the primary photo in the business profile on a desktop using Google image search - which country are you searching in?

Nicole Basham

Reaction score
Conan:

Does the algorithm prefer images of the building exterior even for service-area businesses or is that primarily for bricks and mortar businesses?

Colan Nielsen

Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
Conan:

Does the algorithm prefer images of the building exterior even for service-area businesses or is that primarily for bricks and mortar businesses?

I think it's more about representing the business as it exists in the real world. So for a pure SAB you could swap an exterior photo for a photo of the business owner inside or standing beside the service vehicle with the logo..etc

ash-grin

Reaction score
Hi Ash - sometimes Google populates the primary photo in the business profile on a desktop using Google image search - which country are you searching in?

The United States. The photos aren't showing up at all in the actual map listing, so that was the main goal as people aren't normally using Google image search.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
S GMB logo and cover photo have vanished Google My Business & Google Maps 5
L GMB Logo/Cover Not Showing Up Google My Business & Google Maps 2
TriciaClements Cover Photo not updating Google My Business & Google Maps 8
djbaxter Profile Cover Photos How To Guides 0
sixthcitysarah What to do when you have all your bases covered? Ranking Puzzles 20
B GMB Cover Photo Google My Business & Google Maps 8
JoyHawkins Cover Photos Still Don't Dictate what Shows in the Knowledge Panel Google News: Important Changes & Features 25
Laura Duncan GMB Cover Photo UX Issue - Maps Search Box Overlays Main Photo Content Google My Business & Google Maps 4
M Search terms to cover the UK efficiently Local Search 0
Caroline SAB with City Postcodes as Area Covered but showing Country Instead Google My Business & Google Maps 7
Durandl Dog walking business - No Brick and mortar location - Covering more than 1 location Local Search 5
shondarogers How to get GMB cover photo to render correctly on mobile? Google My Business & Google Maps 6
T One office covers several local cities Local Search 2
HurricaneK8 Animated Cover Photos? Google My Business & Google Maps 5
Linda Buquet Canva Adds New Google+ Cover Image Template Google My Business & Google Maps 0
C Changing Cover Photo in Google My Business Google My Business & Google Maps 8
Linda Buquet The Psychology of the Perfect Google+ Local Cover Photo by Master Phil Rozek Google My Business & Google Maps 1
freerunr New Update to Google Local Cover Photos Google My Business & Google Maps 6
Linda Buquet Research Shows Under-cover Google Employees are "Top Reviewers" - Interesting Local Reviews 0
eshad Logos Disappearing Google My Business & Google Maps 14
hajnasiewicz How To Update a logo in Wikipedia Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 4
R How long would the logo review process be for several hundred listings? Google My Business & Google Maps 0
Caroline S Am I safe including Google's logo in my website for review link purposes? Websites, Software, and Security 3
H Update Logo photo in bulk Multi-Location Issues 3
JoyHawkins New Dynamic BBB Logo Citations 7
djbaxter "Stop changing the Google Logo..." Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 5
J Wrong Corporate Logo Showing in Branded Search Local Search 6
Dan Foland Google Maps Showing Business Logo? Google News: Important Changes & Features 11
T Display location of business logo Google My Business & Google Maps 6
JoshuaMackens Knowledge Card Logo Google My Business & Google Maps 6
Tim Sweeney Map Pin Featuring Logo Google My Business & Google Maps 3
J How to Add Logo to Multiple Locations in GMB Help & Support for Google Local 5
mborgelt Influencing Google's Knowledge Graph with Schema Logo Markup Code Local Search 5
J No Logo for Google Local Profile Pic? Google My Business & Google Maps 8
djbaxter Forum Logo Concepts Mod Squad 11
djbaxter Google: Using schema.org markup for organization logos Organic SEO 2
R New Google+ Local Photo Guidelines ? No Logos and No Ugly Mugs Recycle Bin 0
Local Search News Curator New Google+ Local Photo Guidelines - No More Logos and No Ugly Mugs! Recycle Bin 0
Linda Buquet New Google+ Local Photo Guidelines - No More Logos and No Ugly Mugs! Local Search 25
rich_marlatt Sharing Medical Patient UGC on GMB Post Google My Business & Google Maps 0
H Seems like someone is trying to Steal my clients GMB Google My Business & Google Maps 5
Annika Neudecker Should you use more than 5 GMB categories? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 2
Hammer GMB listing, can't find out who owns or request access All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 3
M Some questions with GMB and multiple locations Multi-Location Issues 1
Professor M Is this new on GMB? Slideshow showing on the About section - Overview Google My Business & Google Maps 0
D A client has 3 verified GMB's across 2 states,with service pages for each location. Should service pages have only their respective locations address? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 3
rich_marlatt What is the GMB best practice for moving offices? All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 2
djbaxter Webinar GMB Best Practices for Multi-Location Sites: Live Webinar April 14, 2021 Events 0
WilliamA Free Chrome browser extension for GMB Categories. NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 8
J Getting Rid of Incorrect Highlights in GMB mobile listing ( highlights you can't update on back end ) Google My Business & Google Maps 1