More threads by JeffClevelandTN

Solutions
Reaction score
TLDR: Would appreciate hearing any success/failure experience with creating page content for misspelled keywords and/or brand names.

Haven't really ever given this a whole lot of consideration or attention before, but recently while doing some keyword research using Ahrefs, we ran across something interesting. One of our largest clients has multiple locations spread across three states. At one of their newest locations, Ahrefs provided some insight that lead to some further research. For anonymity purposes, we'll call the client "AFB Supplies". What we found out, there are a significant number of searches done each month for "UFB Supplies". If you perform a Google Search for "UFB Supplies near me", Google outright recognizes this as a misspelling and displays the typical:
Showing results for AFB Supplies near me
Search instead for UFB Supplies near me
Upon further research, there isn't a competitor nearby or even nationally with the name "UFB Supplies". Our thoughts are that there really isn't any benefit, presently, to create content to target "UFB" as Google is automatically displaying results for "AFB". Hoping to be proactive, we checked for the domain name availability of "ufbsupplies.com", it was purchased about a year ago and goes to a generic parking page. However, I'm concerned that if someone is/was savvy and decides to open a competitive brand and discovers what we found, they might want to take advantage of this by naming their business "UFB Supplies".

If we were to create dedicated content for the misspelled variation, it would be done in a white-hat method.

Hoping that some of the other forum members out there have had some experience with targeting typos/misspellings and would share their feedback.

Thanks!
-Jeff

Last edited:
Our thoughts are that there really isn't any benefit, presently, to create content to target "UFB" as Google is automatically displaying results for "AFB".
I would agree with this and wouldn't suggest putting effort towards this strategy. It's not something I have tried, however, so if you do test it out, let us know how it goes!

I would agree with this and wouldn't suggest putting effort towards this strategy. It's not something I have tried, however, so if you do test it out, let us know how it goes!

Thanks Joy for the feedback!

We shared the information with the client's Marketing Director and after some discussion, they asked us to move forward and create some content to target the search phrase. We'll do our best to post an update after we collect some meaningful analytics.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU - Local SEO Penalties for Links

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom